Home Forums The Art Business Center General Art Business Signing Canvases

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Liz

I usually paint in watercolor and I’ve been accustomed to signing my paintings with a drafting pen, recently I began painting in acrylics on canvas which makes the texture unsuitable to sign with my pen. I tried practicing signing with a brush but it comes out looking like a blob. Is there some specific brush to be used for signing paintings, or a technique I need to learn? Hmm, I’m feeling silly writing this because I’m unable to sign my name with a brush. Come to think of it, that’s probably why I’ve been signing with a pen all these years. Anyone have and tips? Thanks.

My Art
        --------------------

Greg Long

I use a small sable and well thinned paint to sign both Oils and Acrylics.
            If you are varnishing you can also sign in pencil, which I do on my studies. (it also helps to distinguish them from finished pieces when buyers are browsing.)

Liz

Is the brush, flat, round or pointed?

My Art
                --------------------

Greg Long

pointed. just like your fine watercolour sables….that’s what I use.

Mark Sheeky

Hi webart, some use a marker, like a Sharpie which would be okay on acrylics. Signing with a brush can look nice though, but it can depend on the length and complexity of the name! Just use liquid paint a small pointed brush and dip regularly.

Mark

Twitter: @marksheeky

madmonkey
                            rltromble

A liner. If you are getting globs then you have too much paint on the brush. A quick stroke on the pallet will take care of that.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

junge040649

I paint with acrylics, and I use the “soft-body” types which flow more easily than the stiffer “heavy” paints. If necessary, thin the paint with water and make sure it flows OK before you sign. A wetting agent (i.e., Liquitex Flow-Aid) is helpful, too. Use a round brush no thicker than about a #1.

Doing all this, I can sign my name, date and the phrase “Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam” on all but the smallest paintings with no problems.

laf.art

I don’t sign mine on the front anymore. I couldn’t get a decent sig. so what I do now is paste a business card to the wooden struts at the back.

laf-art.com | Prints | FB[/U
                                        Instagram laf.abstracts

vhere

pencil or pen and then I sign the back of the canvas as well

Greg Long

pencil or pen and then I sign the back of the canvas as well

If using pen, Make sure the ink in it is colourfast and archival. I have seen many watercolours where the signature has almost totally faded after 6 or 7 years. I am sure it will be even worse on a stronger coloured background.

Raindeer

I find that signing on the front distracts from the painting, so i’m going to sign on the back from now on….

Rick G

Fluid acrylics are easier to sign with than tube paint. I’ve also had good results adding acrylic flow enhancer and water to make a thin mix out of tube paint for signing purposes.

gnu

my question is slightly different, I use a liner brush and media thinned acrylics to sign paintings, but I’d like to know where and with what pple sign the BACK of canvasses….I would hate it to show or sign too big etc…
                                                            thanks
                                                            Gill

vhere

pencil for me and I sign a large signature across the back of the canvas (even if I’ve signed the front with a small signature, I only ever sign fairly inconspicuously )

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
                                                              • The topic ‘Signing Canvases’ is closed to new replies.