WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Scratchboard Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-06-2011, 02:02 AM
A WC! Legend
Adelaide, South Australia

Hails from Australia
Re: Framing Scratchboard/Claybord

Good point - I guess that's where those 'strong boxes' come in but they're expensive.

That's such a good piece, The Big Thirst, the original photographer must be a marvelous man
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-06-2011, 04:09 AM
A WC! Legend
Burns Lake, British Columbia

Hails from Canada

The very best!

Actually I just use ordinary cardboard boxes...sometimes I have to make them fit a piece. I place an extra sheet of cardboard over the face of the piece with a narrow wrap that's like Saran wrap and I pack foam pieces on all sides to take up any extra space. The foam I sometimes use is the stuff you get for insulating pipes...cut to size, the slit usually fits right on the frame...reasonably cheap at the hardware store. Keeps the frame from getting dinged and keeps the piece from moving back and forth. I get the wrap at the hardware store, too.

Lorna Hannett.com
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-06-2011, 11:57 AM
A Local Legend
Colorado

Hails from United States

I'm not trying to change anyone's opinions and I am happy that many of you have not had bad experiences with your work without glass. Here are some of the reasons I started to protect my work with glass:

I have had two experiences with works that were NOT behind glass (this was before I was using glass on all works) from big international exhibitions:

Birds in Art the lady came and talked to me at the event and told me point blank that they wanted to send my piece on the national tour, but had decided not to because it was not behind glass and they wouldn't take the risk of scratching it. I tried to assure her that it was ok with several coats of varnish, but she told me that they hoped my future works would be behind glass so that they could be considered.

Also a piece for SAA, the snow leopard that did so well. It had already gone to three museums, but the last stop on the tour said they would not display it without me paying for it be taken apart and put behind either glass or plexi.

My first year at the Greeley stampede I had works, some quite large, that were framed and matted, but not behind glass. Several people, including framers asked why. They all went on to tell me that 1) the glass protects the matting from getting dirty and 2) that mat board needs the glass to support it and that I would soon see buckling in the mat board from the weight of the scratchboard on it. They were right on both counts. Several works came home with dirty smudges on the matting and I also soon saw some of the matting start to warp. An outdoor art fair with some humidity soon saw all the others (including some smaller pieces) warping too. One the mat board buckles you pretty much will have to re-mat it, as they won't dry flat! So if no glass you could use linen liners (wood coated with linen) or just a frame, but you can't use mat board by itself in the long run as it just isn't designed to stand up without the support of glass.

Anyways I will try and take some pics of my works as I am framing them now. You can see some at: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Furthu...52.89382328470 from last fall art walk in the frame shop. Both mtn lions, kingfisher, owl, amur leopard are all done in the style that I am using now. Some of the others were older works.

Check out the new International Society of Scratchboard Artists!
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-06-2011, 02:00 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Canada

Those are very excellent reasons for you to USE glass Cathy. If a gallery or show told me to use glass, I'd do it, too. And I do like the look of your works framed, they are beautiful...but when it comes to your work, who looks at the frame!

The reasons you stated for using glass with mats are valid and is the main reason I didn't go with mats to start with, using the linen on wood liners.

I wasn't trying to change any minds, either ...just putting the information out there, that there are options for the folks who are still trying to figure it all out.

Lorna Hannett.com
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2012, 02:43 PM
Lord of the Arts
Forest Lake, Mn

Hails from United States

This has been a very interesting thread. What has been the decision about "glass/no glass" for the new society shows? I'm also leery of putting glass over, it's so heavy on the larger ones, plus so costly. The only gallery I had any experience with had never had scratchart before, not sure they'd even seen it? Don't know. But they never mentioned glassing them.
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2012, 06:53 PM
Lord of the Arts
australia

Hails from Australia

Interesting to see all the the different methods here. I don't frame under glass as I can't afford museum glass. And the only one I did frame under glass did not draw any attention or sale at the gallery. I had it framed under non-reflective glass at first but had to have it removed and changed to normal glass as it looked terrible and make everything look grey.

I don't post any of my work. It is all transported by me so I could glass it but I really like the look without it.

Here is one that I had done recently. it has 2 frames (one inside the other). Sorry about the picture quality and the bowing of the frame but I don't have Photoshop or the skills to make it straight.

#37   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2012, 11:28 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Canada

Carol...framing with or without glass is entirely up to the individual artist for the show. The only stipulation is that it be properly framed, looks suitable for a gallery and has a snug/tight wire for hanging. The wire should be no more than 1/3 of the way down from the top of the frame on the piece...the reason for it being snug/tight is so that it will lay flat against the wall.

Everyone's frames in this thread are suitable

Lorna Hannett.com
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2012, 12:07 AM
A Local Legend
Southwestern Corner of Utah

Hails from United States

I have a question for those who jury shows......

Does the frame make any difference when jurying the art? I mean, do you see a piece and think, now that would have looked better matted under glass, etc.? Or can you totally discount the frame whether it be an ornate one (clearly expensive), or a plain frame which could or could not be costly.....? Be honest.
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2012, 01:54 AM
WC! Guide
Northern California

Hails from United States

Lesley - I like the way your ocelot is framed. Is that inner frame a gold metallic or ??

Sue, when jurying art for shows, if it's entry via digital submission or printed photo/slide, the general rule is that the judge(s) don't want to see anything but the art. Nothing that detracts from the art being judged, so it shouldn't be seen - not the frame (or even the mat), not an easel or your wallpaper behind or the chair it's sitting on when it was photographed. That's the first step for getting a piece of art into a show.

But then, once art is AT a show and it's time to award ribbons, I think that the framing may have an impact. I guess it depends on the judges and their level of expertise and ability to judge fairly. And shows usually reserve the right to reject accepted entries if they're not framed properly - I suppose that's a judgement call too . . . what constitutes "proper"?

I know when I'm at art shows, just as a viewer, I'm always critiquing framing. My personal preference leans toward simple and clean - let the art speak for itself!

Web Site - Pet Portraits - Facebook

Last edited by PaintDog : 02-01-2012 at 01:57 AM.
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2012, 02:06 AM
Lord of the Arts
australia

Hails from Australia

Ann. The innder frame on mine is a champange colour and it is a little distressed. It's about 1 cm wide. The painting is 11 x 14.
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2012, 04:44 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Canada

Ann...Excellent answer to Sue's question and spot on as far as ISSA is concerned. It's been like that for every show I've ever entered.

Lorna Hannett.com
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2012, 12:02 PM
Lord of the Arts
Forest Lake, Mn

Hails from United States

Lesleyl- Love your ocelot. I know EXACTLY how you feel about doing things on a computer...
Ok, now to see if I have good enough photos and can figure out how to do them properly to try and get into the group! Wish me luck - I'm SUCH a computer dummy...
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2012, 08:58 PM
A Local Legend
Southwestern Corner of Utah

Hails from United States

I was aware of the digital shows or applying in that they want only the artwork, but wasn't sure if the framing in an actual show made a difference. Personally I don't think it should. At that point it becomes who can spend the most on the frame, not who can do the best work. I prefer a simple black frame for my scratchies, but I guess that would not do in a show?
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2012, 10:05 PM
Lord of the Arts
australia

Hails from Australia

Sue, I thinkat the end of the day the judges are not silly (well some aren't). What would you rather have - a beautiful painting with a plain black frame or a crappy painting with a very expensive frame. I know what I would rather have.
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2012, 11:34 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Canada

The show is where the public is going to see and hopefully purchase the artwork so the show is where it matters the most. The public will be looking at the whole piece not just the artwork...will it be a good investment for them?
I know I said "suitable for a gallery"...that doesn't necessarily mean expensive. The frame should be an extension of the artwork, set it off to best advantage, not be an afterthought. It also means no nicks and dings and definitely no cheap dollar store plastic.

I prefer simple black frames myself, with a white liner separating the art from the frame. I've seen other works done with just a nice black frame (no liner) and think that looks fine, too. It comes down presenting your artwork in a manner that best represents it and you.

Lorna Hannett.com