Home Forums Explore Media Printmaking New etching press bed build material ?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    intaglioman

Hello printmakers,

I’m in the process of having a custom etching press built. The bed size will be

24″ X 48″.

My thinking is a steel bed (similar to my earlier Pelican press) however I do not know what type steel (cold or hot rolled) or if it should be
        blanchard ground surface.

(for anyone not familiar with surfacing steel…blanchard ground surfaces hones the surface to very flat surfaces…both sides.

Also looking for a good source somewhere here in either Rhode Island or
        Massachusetts.

:wave:

pressmaker

We use synthetic material for our press beds (Polymetaal presses, Netherlands) http://www.polymetaal.nl It is cheaper, safer, lighter, does not rust, does not warp, easy to clean, and the surface is white.
            However, if you prefer steel, you should use hot rolled steel, that has been surfaced (milled and ground). Cold rolled steel looks nice, but because of the cold rolled proccess, the steel has huge tensions inside, that come out slowly afterwards, resulting in warping of the press bed. (wether you work on it or not)

intaglioman

Can you give me more detail on your synthetic bed press material ? Is it
                phenolic ? I know I like to overbuild my etching press…and wish to use 1.250″
                thickness. I’m looking to keep the weight down, so phenolic seems to be a good
                option. Also there must be no torque flexing as it passes through the rollers.
                Check out the American French Tool Etching Press sold by Conrad Machine Co. in the USA. The drive wheel is an astounding 5′ in diameter! Used it in undergraduate school. The Rolls Royce of etching presses.
                Thanks for your help, and hope to chat with you again.
                Please look up a printmaker by the name Peter Milton on your browser.
                It’s his full name dot com. It’s a deep website…but I know you will be appreciative of his technical and creative imaginative artistic licence.
                Paul

pressmaker

Yes it is phenolic. Built of layers of paper, under high pressure pressed together in liquid phenol resin and covered both sides with melamine coating

nikkor

This is very interesting. How would you figure out the thickness for a phenolic bed when replacing a steel bed? Same thickness as the steel or thicker?? How much thicker ?
                        Bed I would need is 24″wide by 36″ long…for Intaglio.
                        Thanks

Hi Intaglioman…. I don’t know if you’ve built your press or not, but if you are still considering what bed material to use you’d be wise to consider using high quality plywood.

For my last few beds, I’ve used 1/2 and 3/4 Finnish Birch plywood with excellent results…. for both intaglio, and relief printing. The material is beautifully flat surfaced, and tends to stay that way.

Admittedly my presses are smaller (12×18) but I’d have full confidence in using plywood for larger beds as well.

"Political Correctness" is just another way to muzzle free expression

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.