Home Forums Explore Media Acrylics Synthetic Bristle Brushes

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    janinco

I have tried painting with bristle brushes to get more stroke texture, but they are so hard to clean and don’t hold up well in water. I have many different synthetic brushes that are great for blending and glazing, but none of them are stiff enough to match bristle brushes.

Can you recommend some good stiff synthetics? Two I have seen online are the Princeton 6300 series and Silver Brush Bristlon.

Jan

jonc50

I’m not much of an artist, and again I draw a blank.

thetech

I have a Blick Studio Synthetic brush that is quite stiff (#6 round). They claim “these brushes retain their stiffness in water. They are also less susceptible to the ravages of acrylic paint”, which I find to be true.

Worth a look.

http://www.dickblick.com/products/blick-studio-synthetic-brushes/

Thetech :D

Also these. Very stiff. Seem to hold a lot of paint.

http://www.dickblick.com/products/princeton-catalyst-polytip-bristle-brushes/%5B/URL%5D

A painting is never really done as long as I can get my hands on it.

janinco

Thanks…both look good.

Jan

I love silver ruby satin, they are not quite as stiff as bristles but are somewhere between soft and stiff.

blick-economy-white-bristle-flat

It is a good workhorse brush. Lovely firm brushstrokes, no loose bristles, and easy to clean. Even though they are white, I haven’t had staining problems with them.

I’m new so I can’t post links. Sorry.

Another brush I adore is Black Gold Dynasty. I use them with watercolors. Soft, supple brush and has a good spring. Holds better than my sables.

Tina Lewis

Winsor and Newton Artisan Brushes have been developed for water mixable oils and keep their stiffness in water.

I also find the Liquitex Freestyle Brushes to be quite stiff.

oramasha

I can vouch for the silver brush bristlon.

Terry 904

I can indeed Janinco, though not sure if they are available to you in the US.

Art Spectrum imitation mongoose, made in Japan. Just as stiff, if not stiffer than my Lefranc & Bourgeois hog bristle, but although not a fine bristle, not as coarse as the hog either. About half way I’d say, but very stiff. They weren’t dear brushes either, at least when I got them.

Terry.

BeeCeeEss

If you want a brush that mimics a natural hog bristle brush, the absolute best synthetic bristle brush I have ever used is the Princeton Synthetic Series 6300. It has all the stiffness of real hog bristle but none of the drawbacks. It will not get soggy and soft in water or water-based paints and it holds its shape so you can maintain tight, neat edges and create great brush strokes. It will not get splayed out and ragged like natural hog bristle brushes do.

Another choice would be the Robert Simmons Titanium series of brushes. They have somewhat finer synthetic bristles and are a bit softer but they are great for control. They handle either acrylics or oil paints with ease. They are my personal favorites.

Both brushes are a little pricey but they will last for years.

Beverly

I love cooking with wines! Sometimes I even put it in the food! -- Julia Child

Butterfly88

I like synthetic brushes made from taklon.

janinco

Thanks for all the suggestions! I’ll try to pick up some of the different brands and experiment. Sometimes my favorite tool is just a Q-Tip :-)

Jan

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                                          • The topic ‘Synthetic Bristle Brushes’ is closed to new replies.