Home Forums Explore Subjects Figure, The Copy from design for archer by Tintoretto (Charcoal, 32.2 x 20.7 cm. Located in the U

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    joe1It

I made a copy from Drawing Lessons from the Great Masters (thanks ArtistOz), I was reviewing the second chapter, that of the lines, it was not an exercise indicated by the book this copy,
        *I was thinking of attempts to understand how to study, and I want to post drawings that are copies of drawings by the masters, of large drawings, etc. That learning to study and learn from these is one of the things I would like the most and this beautiful book talks about this so I like it a lot and nothing, I thought that the more I make the better it is,
        *(to learn the same drawings (keeping in mind various indications, annotations) in fact I should do them several times to correct them and try to understand them), to try to see features of the design while I read this,
        I am writing so many banalities but approaching books, studying and learning from these is one of the reasons why I would like to learn to draw, to draw a figure.

This was perhaps a charcoal drawing and faster than the other drawings in the book (in the book, there are all masterpieces,). Another thing that attracted me to this drawing, which was in charcoal, that I could also use the same medium as the original, so I used the coal pencil count paris,
        I think maybe I’ll wait for more time to use coal (I’m sorry it’s light, comfortable to use and would allow so much variety despite being gory) than in the last year while I use it and then after a while I feel sticky eyes.

thanks for seeing.
        :wave:

original
        https://historyofdrawing.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Tinto.jpg

https://historyofdrawing.com/
        *ps I noticed now but nice

- C & C welcome ( comments and criticisms highly appreciated)

— NOT allowed for Al training

You’ve got real tension in the upper part of the body but you start to lose it from the waist down. You also need to look carefully at placement of parts of the body, the nipples for example. Altogether much improved. Well done Joe :)

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art - Leonardo da Vinci
        More than happy to receive C&C on anything I post
        Instagram
        https://www.instagram.com/the_henson_gallery/

ArtistOz

Its close Joe. I’d suggest you do it again this time take all the time you need to copy it. Sharpen your point and keep it sharp. Check the proportions of his arms and legs and think about the mass of his chest and pelvis. Work at getting the exact shape of each part correct so you train yourself to see. Check the angles of the body parts to see they match the drawing.

Do you have an anatomy book to compare the drawing with? Always check with other artistic anatomy references so you know what the shapes are that the artist has drawn. He is using overlapping contours to define the muscles. Imitate the contours as he has drawn them taking notice of the overlaps. And always comparing your drawing to his and correct your drawing as you see the differences.

With practice you will come to know the anatomy and understand why something is the shape it is.

Bill,
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/artistoz/
            Instagram, billwperry

joe1It

David, thank you very much for kind words and for the directions, they are useful to me, now I know this better, comparing them. thanks

ArtistOz, thank you so much for encouragement and precious suggestions.
                Then I will do it again with a sharp point (I think I do it with graphite pencil b7 or another soft pencil, but if you think it is better to do it with charcoal, after I finish it and put it again another time with charcoal) looking for to follow also the other indications.
                I think I have a book to check that especially in the last 2 years I have had groped for several books (especially books on figure or anatomy, vanderpol, hogart-dynamic anatomy, Bridgeman- and Drawing the Living Figure of Sheppard Joseph), I a cd with netter atlas in Italian,.
                And in the last few years I have also downloaded some apps by phone even if I don’t always use them (a few months ago a free app “Muscle 3d” I think is nice that you select muscle and get an explanation in the chosen language). Anyway, I like the idea of ​​books as a learning aid, and an idea to use them then and in the right way. I think that’s why (and how to keep books at hand) I have Bridgeman – Constructive Anatomy and Drawing the Living Figure of Sheppard Joseph, maybe I would use this if you agree.

If I can I would ask you in fact about Drawing the Living Figure of Sheppard Joseph, if in fact it seems ok. for comparison you said I’m thinking of this (which is also very convenient as a format, a print to be seen while drawing, to be consulted which in practice holds annotated drawings, at the beginning shows the bones, the main muscles, and the book is structured there they are laying drawings and with 3 versions with the same size and some notes.
                the first is the drawing
                , one with skeleton in the same pose, one drawing is with muscle diagram,
                (3) as an annotated (identically sized) muscle) (major bones and muscles)
                This was one of the last books I took and I didn’t use it much except for reading the first few pages but maybe that’s what I can mainly use (as a main book for what you say) as an anatomical reference. if you think it’s ok, that’s right. Best wishes and thank you so much

123harry

This is a good attempt apart from his left leg which still has a pyjama leg on (or something which is making it lumpy) and the genitalia which are painfully displaced.
                    Don’t read too much, it will damage your eyes….and don’t overthink things. Just keep drawing.

C&C always welcome.
                    Instagram harry.hamill

joe1It

thank you Harry,
                        thanks for directions, I tried a new attempt and I think I still mistreated him (in the wrong place) and in the last hour I tried other changes (I don’t know if this attempt is better or the previous one) that after reading I made myself I count on having treated the archer’s intimacy once again (he will think I do it in the mail … but he is armed with a bow and arrow, so I don’t want to make him angry …

On reading, sometimes I forgot that learning to draw without it can never work …….
                        Which I actually have to draw.
                        Perhaps for every minute of reading, to grasp a concept read
                        To put something into practice, grab something read in a minute maybe I want 100 or 1000 minutes of practice.
                        in reality Time that I regret, however, is one in which I ended up for one reason or another in order not to try or to postpone the attempt to learn even having always or often the desire.

time spent wondering 5 years ago or earlier if I could learn to draw or it was late,
                        or asking me how to do it, and if it was possible to learn by myself, and to what extent etc
                        *and then the postponement.
                        or with hindsight I am sorry to have thought at least 12 years ago of trying to draw but without starting or stopping immediately for one reason or another (in hindsight .. because in that case I would probably have learned now more, maybe before I would have been able to attend something like live drawing classes or anything else

I’m sorry because regardless of the results I would have at least learned a little to see things better.

However, ok

joe1It

I did this in pencil, soft grades, I don’t know if I actually did better,
                            I tried to follow the indications received, draw much more slowly, etc. I tried to correct the errors I noticed and to concentrate on the parts that I had wrong the most.

thanks for seeing

joe1It

modified a bit with gimp

Youve certainly improved it Joe but you are copying something that isn’t anatomically correct in the first place. Why not select something from Leonardo for example? Dont forget Leonardo was left handed so his shading goes the other way to a right handed artist, you can always flip the image horizontally :)

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art - Leonardo da Vinci
                                Instagram

123harry

Yes. Definite improvement. It is now quite a convincing figure.
                                    On to the next one…..

C&C always welcome.
                                    Instagram harry.hamill

joe1It

David, Harry, thank you very much, I’m glad it’s better.
                                        yes, I will make new draws.
                                        David, yes, Leonardo, in fact there are also in the book, and I had also saved links, Leonardo, MIchelangelo, actually I can try them or maybe parts of the drawings if they are too complex.
                                        thank you very much also for advice, for the tip for the drawings of left-handed artists.
                                        instead I had made other drawings in the last few days and then photos to post them, not yet other copies, studies but *other figures from croqui caffe and drawn some feet.

joe1It

one thing, one of my doubts was this, excuse me believe, you prefer, in the copies, in the studies, the medium used in the original (perhaps it is better or more but not necessarily?, perhaps it depends on whether you look for a cosas, from what authors were looking for, the masters in doing so,) or ok pencil instead of ink or charcoal

if instead we try to learn the same medium of drawing
                                            ok a normal pen and ink fountain pen (approaching or rather penni), or
                                            o pen and bistre.
                                            better than a ballpoint pen, or perhaps fine pointed pens, fineline, thanks

ArtistOz

Joe, it’s getting better but its not accurate. Accuracy is important for realism and a necessary stage to go through in acquiring realistic skills. By all means practice but practice smart not mindlessly then you will improve faster. I have some tips for practicing smart but first I need to know what your figure drawing goals are.

I have some questions for you before I can recommend books or links to study because you have so many different book genres they do not all give you a consistent strategy for drawing the figure and you have mentioned varied interests which have different approaches to the figure it’s not easy to advise you intelligently.

So, what style or figure drawing genre are you interested in becoming accomplished in? Can you post some examples of figure drawing you want to develop skills in emulating.

David it doesn’t matter if it is not anatomically correct the challenge was to improve your ability to see and reproduce the same drawing, knowledge of anatomy will come but first can we match our observations to what is there in front of our eyes.

You asked me about Joseph Sheppard, I don’t think much of his book it’s primarily a show case of his drawing he doesn’t show the process of how he builds his figures. His shading is complicated for someone who has trouble with shading and he is using toned paper to draw on so you need to think about how you put the shadows and light in and without the steps a beginner would be confused.

What is useful is he does point out the muscles and bones and any information is better than no information. It would have been more useful if it was written in your native language so you can familiarise the names rather than translating from English into your language, a two step process, one step too many. Its useful as an example of how one person has solved his figure drawing problems, there are many ways to draw.

Copy in the same medium if you can as the drawing however in art production in the past the pencil was not invented until the 16th century, so, Ink, brush, metalpoint, charcoal and chalk were used in the Renaissance.

How many languages do you speak or know to read Joe, because drawing the figure is like learning a new language they both take a long time and have rules for organising the different elements? Acquiring proficiency depends on how much time you put into it each day , someone learning for 10 mins a day will not improve as fast as someone learning for 5 hours a day. And you need to follow a program that takes you through the various levels, learning ad-hoc is not as efficient as learning systematically. Is it for professional use one day or more like a hobby and if it stops being fun or interesting will you give up or do you have the discipline to keep learning even if it takes all the rest of your life?

Coming here to Wetcanvas not only helps your drawing skills but helps your English comprehension. :)

This lady is copying a Nicholai Fechin drawing a task given by her teacher William Whitaker. You don’t have to be this committed but this shows how serious they take copying from casts or master drawings like the Charles Bargue plates.

These are her remarks on doing this project.
                                                by copying it exactly I think I am really getting it into my brain. That way, when I go to do my own work, I can remember what he did and do it spontaneously as well.

I constantly struggle wondering if things are off. I think I picked up a few things by looking at it this time and made some changes.

I draw things using my eye first, and then I use the calipers to check myself and see how close I am.

There are two things I think I have learned from doing these. 1) I have learned to be a lot more accurate in my drawing, and 2) I have learned to be a lot more sensitive as I put down my marks.

Bill,
                                                https://www.flickr.com/photos/artistoz/
                                                Instagram, billwperry

Bill you are right of course. We should be able to copy any shape :)

Instagram

joe1It

Hi, ArtistOZ, I thank you so much for the answer and the precious help. Thank you so much for the many clarifications, all the information, method to carry out studies and what to grasp from these. Explanations on what you learn by doing your studies, copies of the masters correctly.
                                                    Sorry for Joseph Sheppard’s book, I had expressed myself badly, I didn’t want to say as a main anatomy book, as a drawing of the figure but as a book to use while I saw a drawing by a master or a picture of a figure, to be seen while I was drawing to help me to find the landmarks, landmarks in the subject, I said only or for this purpose, the book there is little text there are above all images and names bones, muscles, I think, I should still go to another (books, net) to understand a but what is needed is that anatomical part, which represents me, how it moves etc, I only wrote this book but first I was going to ask the same thing about Vanderpool too, but it is more discursive (this divides parts of the body into chapters, it is less atlas) the lbro (new economic versions) are not graphic, that is I think this is more to learn, I had started reading chapters and then copying the drawings, made of the first 2. While anatomy costructive I hadn’t started it thinking it was a text I could only address in the future eventually. With a greater understanding.
                                                    However, you rightly said the language, so I can do it directly in my language, thank you very much.
                                                    for the head the skull I have the book of Civardi, or all with the pc or app of the cell phone (putting it in charge better) but I wanted to tell you that there would be old version of this book, I didn’t understand if it is of bammes the drawn part or the he remembers (he used to be quoted in books or learning in the past, the drawings seem similar) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOVNafs6-bo

Thanks also for the images, the drawings placed side by side, you reminded me, even answered about something I wanted, I had to ask. I sometimes add a reference to the drawing sheet but very often I copy from the pc monitor, for example all the drawings of the figures (like croqui caffe), often reference is in front of me,
                                                    I wanted to ask for a better position to draw and maybe even to train an eye to take correct proportions and increase precision and, I’m right so I put it to my left? and then I didn’t know if it was side by side like in a photo or a meter away from me.
                                                    I had this doubt and I didn’t know whether to put it side by side (so something like the artist did in the picture) or put it about a meter from me on a wall by my side, looking at the video 2 years ago on youtube I saw a video where artist put model or sheet (but I didn’t see in which direction the sheet was, he could see) about a meter away, at his side, but you couldn’t see the reference, he drew on a glass or a plastic and overlapped exactly, I didn’t I understood the position well and how it worked (to try it maybe with a very simple drawing) I tried to search again for this and to ask for it better but I couldn’t find the video anymore.
                                                    Yes, you are right and it is very important what you say about precision, in a figure or a portrait I think it is indispensable, well-made drawings will have required the author attention, time and many skills. that by trying parts of the face (eyes, noses,) some loomis or skull I begin to notice that finding acceptable similarity is hard because every error comes out.
                                                    You’re right about wetcavans, it’s great for so many reasons (and there would already be more material and knowledge here that you could dream of),
                                                    *also on the language, you’re right I looked for some books in Italian for this. , I speak and write only Italian, fortunately reading is simpler, Spanish, part of loomis to help me understand it (without having to write down the translation by force) I had helped myself with Spanish because it was easier (he asked for less the vocabulary) (but I would not understand a lot about Spanish South American, but I believe that in reading I can do it, trying to translate first to lose as little as possible, I have to practice to learn other words so as to use translation very little because in fact at the second reading, then the terms come back , it seems less difficult indeed, some books actually help the reader in particular.
                                                    – On goals.
                                                    I would like to get to draw, especially figures and portraits in the best way that can fit into my abilities, so try to learn and practice with continuity, drawing with knowledge of the facts.
                                                    I would like to get to draw in a realistic way (realism in general, I don’t know how to say, I think there are various degrees, incredible realism, the animation classics are also beautiful), so being able to make drawings in which the subject is recognizable and the pleasant result,
                                                    the dream is to be able to draw well. (I dream of doing it in a way that seems almost professional, I think it’s something too big already, I don’t know if I have the ability and the imagination to do this, to be able to earn a little something or enough to do this I think is even bigger, but it would be great because he would therefore like to have succeeded in learning even beyond expectations and therefore be able to do more, but I do not believe that I personally have the necessary abilities for those levels, I would not know how to move and what references to show (at the universities of my country in part I do not believe more so, (for comics I don’t know well, I hadn’t noticed years ago that there already existed the school of comics even though I read that it’s 3 days a week and then for price and location, maybe it’s a bit uncomfortable depends, if it uses and I think it is possible is interesting given the various courses, choose comics or illustrations, even 3 years, others are short, as a child among the 3 dreams I had there was qu alcosa in the comic) but atellier or at least the same academies I believe that instead I prepare and then I hope that they will insert even if a fascinating thing of the art, of the drawing (apart that represents many things) and that if a thing is beautiful it is beautiful and that there they are different ways and paths that lead to incredible artists who can easily not have done formal education or other professions) I confess, however, that in reality, if I had the chance to return at least 15 years ago I think that is the first thing I would try, for move here I would ask, I personally think that for 2 years I would try trying not to spend too much even if I try to move and live design, I would do it, then if then it would seem necessary formal education I would try, if not for me, I would say patience and I would do it anyway as a hobby (the same was a beautiful and stress-free experience that can lead to an activity, not always, I think I type fre and lance or gallerist at the beginning, if it is not for work you would do it for yourself, it depends) and I would like it in the same way (if in any case you have given up and maybe changed some things) I really believe that drawing is something where I work from the fruits, so it would not be to give up however but with hindsight I would try even if I really don’t know if it’s too big.
                                                    actually I think I made several mistakes, in the end I, anyway design, regardless of everything I want and I hope to do it as much as possible, it’s really something I love and I like trying it, already just seeing certain works, discovering incredible artists like you on wetcavans is incredible and one of my dreams is to be able to be worthy, a little less intruder.

On time to draw, I would like to draw every day, try to do as an average for now about 5 hours a day. what I did in the last year is a 3 or 4 hours, in the previous 2 years sometimes an hour or 2 or 4 hours, maybe 5 sometimes, skipping a few days, maybe maybe an average of 3 hours a day or a little ‘less, I don’t know, but maybe I did it in a way that was not very constructive or I stopped at one point to try to start again. I didn’t immediately think of a sort of program, of the existence and importance of the fundamentals (I had already created some convictions for episodes that I made to weigh too much, I had stopped drawing the first time when at 13 years because accused of not having done me, a homework, drawing of a comic and another to taste, then things I knew (of which I was proud but not masterpieces I believe, and with hindsight damn because in that case I was doing better things), but it is wrong to get conditioned and so much, the only way to fail is to do nothing, but to think that you don’t is worth nothing hurts),, and i moreover, or so I was a little afraid of the blank sheet, of leaving the comfort zone to make lines, circles, etc., rather than shading, etc.) Having to choose a style, I would risk mentioning too many that, as you say, are confusing, thinking about who show you, what I would like to do, be able to emulate (specifying that making drawings that are beautiful 1 of those that I mention to you or many of you artists that I am having the pleasure of admiring here I would trust you a great success) .I come to mind Renaissance artists. Since I saw them, I loved some drawings of the masters of the renaissance, the sanguine sketches, coal, ‘the sketches’ of figures of Leonardo, Michelangelo; Pontormo (1 by Jacopo Pontormo https://uploads8.wikiart.org/images/jacopo-pontormo/christ-seated-as-a-nude-figure.jpg!Large.jpg). I find many great works of art sketches of these artists, figures (or portraits) in chiaroscuro or monochromatic I can love them as a canvas or many more. So drawing of the figure is an art form that fascinates me a lot and the Renaissance is a style that I love, there are from then on (those mentioned and others), I believe that since then many incredible artists who with perspective and three-dimensionality have created and they create incredible things in terms of anatomy and realism, whether from reality or fantasy, therefore thanks to the mastery of the artist, therefore Renaissance art is so incredible and fascinating. I like it and in part of the contemporary artists that I happened to see the drawings here or on google or pinterest happen to reflect that generere. , but then you can also see the drawings of Pierre Paul Prudhon … unbelievable also this (I don’t know if it has anything to do with it, if it is the same school, however, the kind of realism I think makes me think of the even more extreme drawings I had seen on wetcavans of a user, of an artist from Eastern Europe, I don’t remember nickname and name,) here maybe it’s another different method,

erhaps for the first, Renaissance method (if I’m not mistaken and it’s okay to talk about it to refer to the construction) I should learn something like construction (which is fine for comics, cartoons too?) while perhaps Prudhon and another example, maybe they speak method academic.
                                                    You explained to me by Schiele (about Schiele, recently thanks to wetcavans I discovered this artist Kaethe Butcher, https: //images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/5b2ff50aaf2096b126cada0a/1557064012974-DOOOFI4YK95NV0GUJPYI/ke17ZwdGBToddI8pDm48kGF9kv_WyRlGOQhPGrvrAzF7gQa3H78H3Y0txjaiv_0fDoOvxcdMmMKkDsyUqMSsMWxHk725yiiHCCLfrh8O1z5QPOohDIaIeljMHgDF5CVlOqpeNLcJ80NK65_fV7S1UQigf4ammUVF3UomBZkMo2pjCrVaMcRVUA9ibApim15YwR4DK0LGVSVJx6AiEveu7Q/digging+ deep.jpg? format = 750w both are styles, artists from various different historical periods that I like, I emphasize the line to tell something so powerful, but that’s what you said, so it’s true for all the main components of the design that will be here mastered with talent and imagination for this kind of style, but that’s what I see on wetcavans, many artists who vary with incredible portraits, figures, various media, even cartoons.
                                                    Already on wetcavans there is a fabulous showcase between different styles among which it would be nice to approach one just trying one day to do it well even by just a third.
                                                    I’m quoting so many, so maybe having said that any of the things mentioned above I like them the same, possibly I would choose based on what I would find more practical for me, maybe construction but everyone has their strengths, I really wouldn’t know how to choose though, I try,
                                                    Sorry, I write now trying to reduce to a style, place 2 portraits of Sargent and then put some links with other works.

On the styles, artists, I had seen here on wetcavans a post created by kevinwueste (about genres, works that I like very much) on the design of Loomis’ head (in fact the works of many authors and several teachers is incredible, the art, particularly the drawing of the figure many times does not deceive, there is really a lot of stuff, work, talent, sometimes it is described in a strange way) and posts with some demonstrations of its own, it is another about figure where Kevin (he is one of the artists that faces in an incredible manner portrait and figure also in pencil I think, perhaps in longer drawings) and roy p, Adair post their examples, they talked about the figure, they said a little how they deal with this (posting this I think then it’s easier to get an idea and I also think that therefore they wouldn’t get angry), Figure Drawing Workshop

*by roy-p, http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/28-Oct-2009/148165-wk4-3plus4.jpg
                                                    *By Adair_ P http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/29-Oct-2009/44092-44092-027._b_JPG.jpg
                                                    http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/22-Jun-2013/164138-figures_6_22__-_6_17_2013-1-9.jpg
                                                    http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/03-Jun-2013/164138-20s_woman-1_2.jpg

I don’t know the genre but I could mention these after having seen their drawings where as a design I would like to do, I risk making a really long list so I finish the list here (I don’t know with what how many I’ve written about any derivations but you have reason I like things that are many opposites and I mess, sorry), in any case in the end I would not have a preference for it, between various methods admiring them all, maybe I should understand which I think is even more difficult for me, I don’t know, geometric design , the one with teams (and manga style but that doesn’t center) are things that I find more difficult for me even if I don’t like it I don’t have a big push
                                                    Furthermore I am trying to learn shading, with the method of the circolismo, opaque tip (litigation in making opaque wooden pencil and not dirty it), shading is one of the things that I find more difficult but it is fundamental and therefore I would like to learn it as much as possible, trying actually I like it a lot more to do it regardless of the results, in general in the drawing I fight with the squares, with the materials (correct sharpening of the various media, in understanding which paper would be suitable) and this year also with the shoulder due to a slight impact in December.
                                                    And nothing After this message I will be rightly banished for life from wetcavans.
                                                    Sorry and thank you, thank you very much.
                                                    *Sorry for the stupid talk and answers that you don’t understand when I appreciate your help and I’m grateful.

book ita civardi

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.