Home Forums Explore Media Acrylics Anybody have canvas pad recommendations?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    bunford

Looking for something that is good quality, could be mounted/framed, canvas sheets (not paper) and can be used for oils and acrylics.

I haven’t seen much and been eyeing up the Fredrix ones but they are not widely available in UK so don’t know much about them.

http://www.artsupplies.co.uk/item-fredrix-canvas-pads.htm

Winsor & Newton Thames Radial Easel, Winsor & Newton Artist oils, Winsor & Newton Artist acrylics, Liquitex Heavy Body acrylics, Daler Rowney System3 Heavy Body acrylics, Liquitex Basics acrylic paints, Golden mediums, Liquitex Freestyle brushes and lots of other brushes.

Feel free to browse my website here

I used canvas pads when I first started painting, 40 years ago.
        They were useful for practice and learning how to use the paint, but after I became more experienced and started to frame some of my works, I found that the canvas paper was hard to frame.

They need to be mounted onto a firm sub-strait or matted like a watercolor.
        For this reason I don’t think they are the best choice.
        I do from time to time work on watercolor paper with acrylics, but they need to be mounted on foam core sub-strait to put them into a frame, without mat or glass, which is the way I prefer them to show them.

I think stretched canvas is the best choice, however, I’ve never tried canvas boards and that might be a consideration.

Hope this helps you with you decision.

bunford

I do not mean canvas paper. That is the canvas textured paper and I also use that to practice. You can also buy pads that are essentially sheets of primed canvas, such as the Fredrix one in the link in the original post. These are not textured paper, but actual sheets of canvas and you can buy them up to 18×24″ sheets.

Winsor & Newton Thames Radial Easel, Winsor & Newton Artist oils, Winsor & Newton Artist acrylics, Liquitex Heavy Body acrylics, Daler Rowney System3 Heavy Body acrylics, Liquitex Basics acrylic paints, Golden mediums, Liquitex Freestyle brushes and lots of other brushes.

Jonathan S

I’ve used the Fredrix canvas pad before 9×12, and will use it again. Not sure of the 18×24 size though. You may need to buy canvas roll to get that size. not sure.

bunford

They do the Fredrix pad up to 18×24″:

http://www.jacksonsart.com/p14334/Fredrix_Canvas_Pad_18x24in_10_sheets_acrylic_primed_cotton_duck,_for_oil_or_acrylic/product_info.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=allprods&gclid=CPaO946f88ECFYHHtAodT1oAbg

Guide

Fredrix is as good as any. Works well and not terribly expensive. IMHO

Click here to go to the information kiosk My You Tube Channel 48hlc48
                        The only person you can't fool, is yourself! (Oz The Great and Powerful)
                        "If you think you can, or think you can't, your right!"
                        "The thing about art is that life is in no danger of being meaningless," Robert Genn

Babs2

I’ve used Fredrix pads. I think they work very well. If I had to complain – you have to tear the sheets off the pad. If you want it to fit a 16″ x 20″ standard frame one of the sizes it comes in is 16″ x 20″. Sometimes it tears off leaving a bit of ragged edge and maybe cutting into your 20″ size just a little. That no problem though if you are using a mat.
                            Barb

PattiLou

I’ve used the canvas pads and framed them without glass. Just mount them on a solid surface… it works great, especially for odd sizes.

Patti

tomtex

I’ve used Fredrix canvas pads of various sizes for a long time. For finished works, I mount them on Masonite board either before or after painting. Works wonderfully. Should you want to mount the work permanently under glass, wait about ninety days to allow the acrylic to cure (out-gas) completely.

Dcam

A really economical Canvas pad Gav, is “YES” canvas. I like the texture (smooth) and the price is right. I have also used Fredrix…..good stuff.
                                        To tell you the truth though, a lot of acrylic painters use a rigid ground (masonite or hardboard). I like the really smooth surface.
                                        Good luck. Derek

Lobke Spain

I don’t understand the difference between those and paper either. Since canvas paper is usually cotton? Is this actual woven canvas, like pieces from a roll of canvas?

Guide

It is woven canvas not just a canvas texture. Big difference in the feel and handling. Yes, there is a textured paper that is cotton, but, it isn’t woven. I like both for different reasons.

Click here to go to the information kiosk My You Tube Channel 48hlc48
                                                The only person you can't fool, is yourself! (Oz The Great and Powerful)
                                                "If you think you can, or think you can't, your right!"
                                                "The thing about art is that life is in no danger of being meaningless," Robert Genn

Lobke Spain

interesting ty

BeeCeeEss

A really economical Canvas pad Gav, is “YES” canvas. I like the texture (smooth) and the price is right. I have also used Fredrix…..good stuff.
                                                        To tell you the truth though, a lot of acrylic painters use a rigid ground (masonite or hardboard). I like the really smooth surface.
                                                        Good luck. Derek

I agree. I have used both the Yes! brand and Fredrix Watercolor pads (both are real canvas sheets that come bound in a convenient pad). They are both a very fine weave that works especially well with acrylic paints and both have an absorbent ground to make them act like watercolor paper. They can be primed with gesso to seal that absorbent surface so you can paint on them like a regular canvas. Although the Fredrix Watercolor pads are widely available from many different suppliers, the only place I have been able to find the Yes! brand is from Jerry’s Artarama.

Beverly

I love cooking with wines! Sometimes I even put it in the food! -- Julia Child

GeorgieB

I started using Pro Art pads for both acrylics and oil painting…saves a ton of money for practice.

If I accidentally create a masterpiece, I’ll glue the canvas to a solid backing.

The canvas pads feel just like canvas (tooth, texture) and if taped to backing while on the easel do not bounce as do framed canvases.

GeorgieB
                                                            Membership Chair, SonoranPleinAirPainters.com
                                                            Crits and Comments always welcome

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                                          • The topic ‘Anybody have canvas pad recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.