Home Forums Explore Media Drawing and Sketching Graphite pencils

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Jdolecek48

what graphite pencils do all of you guys use for your sketching/shading?

chrismc

staedtler lumograph clutch with 4b lead for me. They are consistently smooth whereas other pencils I have used such as Derwent are, in my experience, quite gritty.

Wassie

staedtler lumograph clutch with 4b lead for me. They are consistently smooth whereas other pencils I have used such as Derwent are, in my experience, quite gritty.

Ditto for me.

I also use Staedtler mars lumagraph, also mitsu bishi- hi-uni and tombow mono100

CoalTip

Mono100 is one of the pencils I enjoyed most.
                    Staedtler is one of the best performance/economical pencils I come across.

Critics & Comments Always Welcome
                    SketchBooks[2014[/B]][/SIZE] [2015[/B]][/SIZE]

Anne58

I use Staedler 4H to 6B. I usually do my initial sketch with an F pencil though since I find that it gives me a light outline without having as much impact (indenting of the paper texture) as using the 4H. I shade from 4H up so that my shading doesn’t get grainy which seems to happen if I go to a softer lead at the start

members

Ebony which I think is made by Prismacolor now, has been one of my favorites for many years. I use others but that has been a stand by for a long time now.

Humburger

I am not an expert, but I use Faber-Castell, General, and Prismacolor Turquoise. Probably not the best, but they work for me. :-)

Ginny
                                www.virginiacmccoy.com
                                C & C Welcome

hmshood5

Generals, Toison D’or and my trusty Pentel mechanical.

"All of us get lost in the darkness... Dreamers learn to steer by the stars"
                                    www.brianfioreart-aviartisa.com

Shilohmom

Derwent pencils are awesome! I have also used Staedtler, and they are very nice. I think the Derwent are a bit smoother.

Nancy

Classic

I mostly use Faber Castell 9000 series wood pencils (green varnish), and 2 mm leads for holders (various manufacturers: Faber Castell, Koh-I-Noor etc). For hard grades (H, 2H etc) I prefer the brands I mentioned, as cheaper brands tend to be much softer than what they are marked. For softer grades (e.g. B, 2B, etc) some cheap leads I tried weren’t bad. I never used Staedtler leads. Staedtler drawing pencils (the blue ones) that I tried, seem nice. Cheaper Staedtler Noris pencils are good as office pencils, however they come in medium grade only, something like HB or B, not very hard or very soft grades.

I use thin lead mechanical holders too, i.e. 0.3mm, 0.5mm, 0.7mm and 0.9mm with supplies by Faber Castell, Tombow, Swan Stabilo and other brands. Avoid to buy the cheapest holders, because they usually don’t last very long.

I mostly use grades up to 2B. I use softer ones just in a few points, because otherwise it would be quite hard to keep the drawing paper reasonably clean.

Emmanuel
                                            C&C welcome

Macarona

I use mostly some cheap graphite pencils from Action its a Dutch 1 € shop.
                                                I mostly use HB pencils for sketching and somtimes 2B and 4b
                                                They come in a tin box with 10 pieces for 0,89 € and are from 5H to 5B.
                                                Are softer than expected and the soft grades have thicker mines.
                                                The 5h seems to me only a little harder than a 2h pencil and the 5B like an 8B.
                                                And hb pencils from the same store for € 0.37 for 10 pieces, they even have a useful eraser and do not scratch.

Since I have to buy everything myself, I prefer to save my money.

I’ve been drawing for a couple of months sometimes, after a couple of years did not draw or paint anything.
                                                I save my other materials until I have practice again.

kind regards Macarona
                                                Stay calm, you can not protect all people from mistakes they make. They should also be allowed to learn from mistakes and gain experience.
                                                Especially financial mistakes.:angel: Keep calm, you can not prevent that there are not only reasonable suggestions from people. Specifically on the subject: only try and how long. Important topic: Please Save the Internet, that we can still share a lot of knowledge. # No articles 11 and 13!!!

astaman

Staedtler Mars Lumographs and Faber-Castell 9000 when I’m being careful and working at home. When out and about sketching I sometimes use a clutch pencil, either of the above or, if need be, whatever I happen to have with me. It’s better to draw with any old thing than to wait until you have exactly the right tools in my view.

Related to this, I do like to have a supply of those metal pencil caps to protect the point of the pencil when I’m carrying them in my pocket or bag. If you sharpen it before you put it away, they provide you with a nice sharp pencil when sketching away from home.

Classic

Are softer than expected and the soft grades have thicker mines.
                                                        The 5h seems to me only a little harder than a 2h pencil and the 5B like an 8B.

It is true that often cheap pencils tend to be softer than more expansive ones, at least these in the “H” range. I never found cheap 6H or 7H pencils. I have to choose them from a good brand (I would think to Faber Castell, Staedtler or Koh-I-Noor, as I can find them around).

As for very soft graphite, I use Cretacolor thick leads (I find 2B, 4B and 6B) or the Faber Castell graphite pens, I think the code 2900 (up to 9B). Those later ones are thick graphite leads covered with varnish, to keep hands clean (they have no wood at all).

I recently bought a mechanical 0.7 mm Pilot pencil that I always care in my pocket, that I use for outdoors sketches on a small A6 size sketchbook. I use rather soft leads in it, mostly B or sometimes HB depending of the paper quality.

Emmanuel
                                                        C&C welcome

retiretopaint

I have just had a drawing class, my first after a number of years. The instructor had us using a mechanical pencil, any kind with 2B .5mm lead. I have to say I NEVER expected to see the incredible results from one type of lead. The paper was smooth bristol 100lb.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.