WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Southwest and Western Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2019, 08:17 PM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States
Re: 'Round the Campfire ~ November

Hi all.
We made a fast trip back to New Mexico early yesterday morning then returning tomorrow morning, not staying for the Monday holiday as I have art classes to teach that afternoon plus pick up 19 year old kitty who has been in the vet hospital on IV fluids. Temps here in mid 60s so some are out golfing.
Lucky you Kathy with the wild turkey. Now Ron, some turkey recipes would be heart healthy.
A strong cold front is hitting NM Sunday evening so just as well we will be gone, lol!
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-10-2019, 11:59 AM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugman
Anybody have good heart healthy recipes? Wife and I are running out of meal ideas....

Ron, years ago, my doctor told me the best way to lose weight and be healthy was to eat littler biscuits! When we eat out, I eat half and bring leftovers. Something we like that I never thought of is to use spaghetti squash for noodles or zoodles (zucchini cut in strips). Both are great. When you cook the spaghetti squash if you cut it in circles instead of in half long ways, you get longer noodles. This site has lots of good ideas, you can subscribe to the newsletter.https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/ Good luck!

Kathy good to hear from you and the turkey for your Thanksgiving. Bummer about your work place. Wishing you quick relief. Keep your heads down!

Kay, the timing on your trips to NM sounds great. Sorry about your kitty.
Safe travels.

Our niece is here so we've been doing some sketching and playing in the art tools. I did get a piece for the challenge. Cool nights and lovely days this week.
Winston Churchill

Last edited by Jo Castillo : 11-10-2019 at 12:01 PM.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-12-2019, 01:51 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Hello everyone. Well, we've been seeing single digits at night, and I don't think anyone in the midwest was ready for this sudden winter! But we'll adjust. After all, there's not much we can do about it, right? At least it's dry! Or should I say freeze-dried?

Hello Jo. I hope you're doing well. Sounds like you and your niece have been having a great time. Glad to hear that!

Hi Evelyn. It sounds like things are tough for the farmers up your way too. At this point, the ground is frozen, and that's actually the best thing now to get finished in the fields. If it warms up, we've gotten enough snow that it would create a slippery, muddy challenge on the fields. I hope the crops can get off the fields in your area too. It's so stressful for farmers. I hope your houseful of company has gone smoothly. Both of my brothers and their families are coming for maybe around a week over Thanksgiving. That's a total of 14 guests, many of them young kids. It's pretty crazy.

Hi Ron. I hope you find some good recipes that will excite your taste buds again. Pinterest has about a billion ideas for...well, everything. I'm sure you and your wife can find some great, tempting-but-heart-healthy ideas there. Glad to hear you're painting again!

Hi Kathy. I'm sorry to hear of the complexities and challenges of your jobs. Must be a very tense time for you both. Hang in there. I hope a good solution can be found.

Hi Kay. I hope your class has gone well. What fun it would be to take part in your classes. Sorry to hear your kitty is needing the vet. 19 is an impressive age! My oldest cat, Oliver, is nearing 16, is diabetic, but has actually responded quite well to insulin treatment. He's doing pretty well for his age. Take care of your sweet kitty - it's hard when they need to go to the vet. I'm sure it's pretty scary for them.

My blog: http://thecozyred.wordpress.com/
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-16-2019, 12:36 AM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Hi, been busy doing nothing. Took a class today using Pan Pastels. It was fun and got me to paint.

I was just wondering about, Hud, Old Glory I sent an email just now. He hasn’t posted since September 10.

Hope all is good with all the rest of our peeps.

Later gator.....
Winston Churchill
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-16-2019, 12:22 PM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Back with a note, Hud, Old Glory, is away on personal time. We will miss his paintings but look forward to new ones when he can.

Beautiful day here, off to see some glass blowing and hear some music tonight.

My painting from the class yesterday:

Similar to the one in the challenge but with pastels. I like the little color swatch better than the finished one. Ha. About 6 x 8 inches and the small is 2 x 3 inches. Started and mostly done with Pan Pastels on Pastel Card.
Winston Churchill
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-16-2019, 10:50 PM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

Jo, wow, just stunning both of them. Glad you reached out to Hud. I'm sure we all worry about him living out there alone, so good to know he is okay.

Temps here in the high 60s and even higher in the coming days. My old kitty is rallying, eating more canned food, resting a lot more, but looking more alert. He had an abscess on right front leg so antibiotics are almost done and they've worked well. He even spent several hours outside in the warm air this afternoon.

Hope all the rest of you are doing fine. Have a nice Sunday tomorrow!
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-17-2019, 01:42 PM
A Local Legend
southeast Wyoming

Hails from United States

Jo- nice pastels! great atmosphere in those. Thanks for recipe link. Glad Hud is ok.

Two nice days, then another inch or two of snow.....then two nice days and when snow is almost gone we get another quick inch or two.....and wind of course when its not snowing...

Been painting, but wont show for now as they are gifts or for upcoming show entries...

Happy Sunday to everyone

Come join us in the Southwest/Western forum
My art blog
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-17-2019, 01:47 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Hi Jo. Thanks for checking in with Hud. I've been in contact with him as well. We'll miss you, Hud, until you're ready to check back in here.

Jo, your paintings are beautiful! I love the softness of them both. There is something special about that tiny one - miniature art seems to be a growing trend. You should pop this into a frame and let it delight you and your friends every time they spot it. Your larger painting is so great too! I love the rainy look. Beautiful work!

Hi Kay. I am happy to hear your cat is showing a fighting spirit. 19 is a good, old age for a cat, but I hope he hangs in there for a while yet. I've heard of cats that live into their twenties. I'm sure he's glad to be home with you, soaking in sunshine and eating his favorite foods. Hope he hangs in there.

Hello to all the others around here. How about some pizza for this Sunday lunch? I'll be pretty scarce for the next couple of weeks. Art show next weekend, so I'll be gearing up for that, then family staying for deer hunting and Thanksgiving the week after that, but I'll pop in when I can.

#24   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-17-2019, 01:51 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Hi Ron. I missed you there. Your weather sounds much like ours. Dry and breezy, then snow/rain, then it freezes, then it thaws, then it rains. My dad is about fit to be tied trying to get in the field to combine the last of his corn. It's either too snowy and icy, or it thaws and it gets too muddy. His combine slides downhill when he tries to get around the fields. We have pretty steep hills, so it's scary to think of him in that monster of a machine sliding around. Sure hope it either freezes hard, or dries up so he - and most of the farmers in this area yet - can get the fields cleared. I'm happy to hear you're painting up a storm! Have fun with it!

#25   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-19-2019, 10:51 AM
Alberta, Canada

Hails from Canada

Jenna - hope the weather improves soon so your dad can finish the harvest. Try not to worry too much but I know it's hard.
Kay - glad to hear about your kitty's improvement. I worked in a vet clinic years ago and old cats can be amazingly resilient.
Jo - lovely painting. Enjoy the music!
Ron - we've woken up to more snow again today, but it keeps melting away. The gift paintings sound like fun!

www.evelynmillions.ca
Watercolour & Soft Pastel, Western Canada
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-19-2019, 05:37 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
La tierra del encanto

Hails from United States

Hi. I haven't been active on WC recently. Anyway, I am Finally... finally...finally getting the sculpture to the Mexican Foundry. I was turned away from my goal by some artists out in Dallas and went on a nearly 1/2 year wild goose chase getting my work poured in Aluminum. Now it was (and is) a good idea because it is cheaper than bronze, but no one told me that I needed to pay a person or two on the side who knew how to weld aluminum (art-weld) and chase (the art of making metal that has been pieced together to look like it is one continuous piece --match details and so-on). So my "cheap" aluminum pieces were going to end up costing more than getting them done in Bronze in Mexico and believe me, I could not afford an American foundry either. The price difference is huge!

So the only option left was to get my stuff done in Mexico. They use the same bronze ingot, and the only real difference is that their craftsmen will accept less pay.

Sooooooo----I also had the problem of sending the molds or the waxes. I am naturally suspicious and do not trust anyone with the molds. I also feel that I am the only one who can get an image out of the cra**y molds I make. And if I "pull a wax" (technical term), going down to Mexico there is the chance that it will be melted or destroyed. Am I too suspicious? Not really. When I drove my waxes to Santa Fe, one tiny (thin) part of one Elk sculpture did melt-- slightly. Enough to warp it. And the foundry even noticed it, but they did not call the artist (me). Nope, they went and made the cast and charged me for it, even though they knew it was warped (another lesson to me about using that foundry)

Sooooo--- I had to find a method of getting my work to the Mexican Foundry without melting. So what I ended up deciding was to let them make the molds. I would make a set of "safety" molds and keep them with me. I would pull fiberglass (hard) cast. Then send it to them. It would be nearly impervious to melting or being knocked around. If it breaks, they can superglue it together.

It costs me about 100 dollars more. You would not believe the amount of money the Americanos were charging to make a mold! Like 1700.00 That is 100.00 in materials, and the rest for them. Forget that. It is not a fair price considering I can do it myself.

Okay. So I am now finally getting this long--- dragged out process of my mini-herd of bison done. I used a sculpting method I never ever want to ever use again. That is sculpting each one separately using the same armature. Never again. It takes forever and is a nightmare.

So I have 2 of the 3 bison cast in the fiberglass. They are meant to be running-trotting together in a kind of staggered line. So here are the first 2. I will have the 3rd ready by the end of next week for sure.

Can you do me a favor and give me your opinion on whether I should just have them all pinned together (welded together) so that they are standing on their own feet or if I should use some kind of a "stand." It is long and thin and meant to go on a mantle or hallway table.

#27   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-20-2019, 12:03 AM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

Wow, Katy, you have been really hard at it! So impressive seeing your bison creations. I would say weld them together. Best of luck with all this. You are determined to be successful and we know you will be.

Warmer here today with a high of 82. Tomorrow should be 75 with a 50% rain chance, yay. We sure do need it even though the farmers are still harvesting cotton (brother and nephew).

Hi Evelyn, Ron, Jenna, Jo, et al.

See ya tomorrow!
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-23-2019, 09:46 PM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

Well it has been cooler here but is to warm up tomorrow in 70s. That's good as we will head back to the NM mountains Tuesday for rest of week where 3-5" snow is forecast every day but Saturday.

What is everyone doing? Jenna must be working hard at her show now.
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-26-2019, 09:14 AM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Kay, morning! You have been keeping the fire going on your own. We had our adult niece here for a few weeks so I had a sketching partner so were off doing other things. She left today to get back to New Mexico. It will be quiet, but we will have the Texas bunch out for a traditional Thanksgiving on Thursday.

Katy, I like the idea of no stand. We have a few bronzes. Two horses have a small stand in bronze on their feet like the ground. A dog with no stand and a group of a cow and calves on a wooden log sort of. All seem to fit "their space". So guess it is up to the artist. :-) So no help from me. Sounds like you are getting the foundry end set up. I love what you are doing and wish you much success. Beautiful work.

Thanks all on my painting. One of these days I'll get it all together. Mostly just sketching.

Its trash day here, we take our own trash to the transfer station and the recycling to Smithville. We will probably time the recycle part to have dinner at our favorite bar there. Quiet and cozy place with a great crawfish étouffée.

I'm leaving some fresh flour tortillas here, you can have an egg sandwich or sausage wrap for breakfast! See all y'all later.
Winston Churchill
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-26-2019, 10:47 AM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

Fresh tortillas! Wow. Not tasted any in a long time, just store bought ones. My dad, a cotton farmer/rancher, back in the 60s hired lots of guys from old Mexico and the smell of the tortillas cooking was heavenly. Of course they let us little kids sample the food. They could make a rock have flavor.