WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2019, 01:21 PM

Donating instead of selling

I am still dealing with my difficult collector, but it has raised an issue in my own mind that I wonder if anyone else has every dealt with.

Do you ever not want to sell your art? I paint for my own enjoyment and I have never really had any sales that have gone smoothly. I get more enjoyment out of donating artwork for fundraisers for various causes, such as raising money for a family to cover medical costs or local animal rescues. The attitude of the recipients is so much nicer than people who have purchased my work outright. I am always thrilled when the organization contacts me to tell me how much my donation helped them raise. I just don't deal well with personalities and I don't have the patience for negotiating.

I think, going forward, I will just donate artwork and keep my favorite paintings for myself. I also give artwork as gifts to my co-workers and friends and never charge. It's not that I don't value my work, I do, but I creating this work is very personal and I have a deep emotional attachment to it. All this haggling and negotiating diminishes it for me and distresses me.

Crazy, right?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2019, 03:31 PM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States
Re: Donating instead of selling

Do what you like!

I like to knit. There are people who knit for a living. I have no interest in doing that. When you take a hobby and monetize it, it's no longer a hobby and you need a new hobby!

I looked at your work, your pet portrait was lovely and your plein air was so pretty!!!!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2019, 05:30 PM

Thank you Robin! You are right!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2019, 05:38 PM
Enthusiast
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States

I donated a painting to an auction to raise money for a group and it sold for a decent price and the people who bought it actually share it with another person.

Sometimes I like a painting enough that I am glad when no one buys it.

I don't know how emotionally invested I am in my paintings. For me it is the act of painting itself that is the key thing, not the resulting painting. I paint because yes, I do want to get access to a world otherwise hidden and share that with people, but I feel the most like an artist when I am painting and lose consciousness of where I am and become like an electrical wire conducting energy.

Everything else I do--learning about technique, practicing, reading art history and artist bios, learning about pigments and tools, trying different media, marketing my art, building art sites and keeping a blog and a journal AND an art notebook--all of that is structure upon which I stand in order to be struck by that lightning that allows me to lose myself in paint while I am painting. It doesn't happen all the time by any means, but it happens often enough.

I do give paintings away to friends, but generally stuff I myself actually admire and think is good art. Lots of the rest of it I paint over. Sand it off and paint over it. Because for me, like I said, it is not often the painting itself that means so much but instead the act of painting.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2019, 09:23 PM
A Local Legend
Joshua Tree, California

Hails from United States

I do both. I sell (mostly) but also donate and sometimes give a few away depending. I have selected certain pieces that are for myself that I won't ever sell. I'm too attached. I have sold twice from that "pile" and have deeply regretted it. Yet, if they were donations to a good cause, it probably wouldn't have bothered me as much.

I aim to donate (as much as I can) to hospital collections. That makes me happiest. Fundraisers are harder because if the piece doesn't sell, I really don't want to take it back. I want them to keep it for the next fundraiser and they won't always do that. I have done a yearly fundraiser for homeless families in LA, and an A.I.D.S. awareness/medical advancement organization. Ones for art museums have been annoying. There's a pet one (people who take care of sick people's pets) that I will do sometimes, but they haven't hit me up in a while.

I like learning to crochet, but I still can't do it very well. I also like gardening (in pots). I don't have too many hobbies because I make art and write and that takes up all my time, but I enjoy it. I like napping a lot too.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2019, 09:53 PM
Lord of the Arts

I had a giclee of one of my paintings be donated to a fundraiser for a local riding stable by the person who bought it from me and sell for many times what she bought it for. They are neighbors and if I had known it would do that well for them I would have donated it myself.

I enjoy donating paintings to causes I support and also like to give paintings to friends and others who will enjoy them.

I like selling, but I paint for the enjoyment of the process and to create beauty, so if I can get a painting out in the world where it can be enjoyed that is a win for me.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-29-2019, 10:26 PM
Lord of the Arts

Since you can't get any kind of a tax credit when you donate your own art - only the actual cost of the materials used to make it - You might consider giving something to a rich friend, spouse, or relative who needs the tax right off. They can donate it to the organization of your choice and take a tax right off for what your paintings sell for. I would rather someone gets some value beyond what the organization garners form the sale.

Maybe some day they will reverse the egregious law that did away with artist being able to donate their work and get market value for it as donation on their taxes.

https://www.google.com/search?q=arti...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Be sure to check with an accountant before depending on something like this....

One thing to consider if your work is donated to a charity auction. If you are a working professional and have a reputation to sustain, having your art sell at a ridiculously low price at an auction can really hurt the perceived value of your work.

Last edited by contumacious : 10-29-2019 at 10:31 PM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-30-2019, 12:33 PM

I don't happen to know any wealthy people, but I don't donate for any tax write off. I work a full time job and don't have anything more than the standard deductions on my tax returns. I paint for my own enjoyment and do not run it as a business. I guess that may be why I get so frustrated when people ask to buy my art and then start to haggle. It is easier and more rewarding to give it to my favorite people and causes.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2019, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Roth
I donated a painting to an auction to raise money for a group and it sold for a decent price and the people who bought it actually share it with another person.

Sometimes I like a painting enough that I am glad when no one buys it.

I don't know how emotionally invested I am in my paintings. For me it is the act of painting itself that is the key thing, not the resulting painting. I paint because yes, I do want to get access to a world otherwise hidden and share that with people, but I feel the most like an artist when I am painting and lose consciousness of where I am and become like an electrical wire conducting energy.

Everything else I do--learning about technique, practicing, reading art history and artist bios, learning about pigments and tools, trying different media, marketing my art, building art sites and keeping a blog and a journal AND an art notebook--all of that is structure upon which I stand in order to be struck by that lightning that allows me to lose myself in paint while I am painting. It doesn't happen all the time by any means, but it happens often enough.

I do give paintings away to friends, but generally stuff I myself actually admire and think is good art. Lots of the rest of it I paint over. Sand it off and paint over it. Because for me, like I said, it is not often the painting itself that means so much but instead the act of painting.

My view is pretty similar, though I don't sand out my lesser work, just stack it or give it to friends who like it.

I paint for my pleasure and learning. Have barely dabbled in selling twice now and have donated one piece to a charity auction that actually did sell.

Ironically for this conversation, I do run a large nonprofit and we do have auction items at our gala. But we have not found any market for original art at those, and we don't want to insult a good artist by turning back an unsold (or sold below the minimum) piece.

My one little watercolor that DID sell was at a charity auction that was largely an art auction. So they attendees were clearly there to consider art, as opposed to the galas I've run, which are not billed as art or art related.

Sadly, no matter how much your art is worth in the market, as you've heard, you can only deduct for legitimate expenses, which do not include your time, skill or sweat....