Home Forums Explore Media Photography The Shutterbug Pub Shutterbug Pub Daily Thursday 10 October 2019

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Don

Good morning all. The temp is beginning to moderate somewhat it seems. Dropped down to below 70F last night and feels nice outside right now.

Captured this Double-breasted Cormorant having fresh fish for breakfast a couple of weeks ago. The lighting was really poor so I had to do a bit of processing to try to save the shot.

Today I have to do a 2 hour stint at the library where the art exhibit is, manning a table to pass out brochures and answer questions. Tonight I will probably be attending a “Navy Birthday Party” at a friends house. He throws a party like this every year and invites all the Navy and/or Marine vets in the area to attend. Fun to hang out with other vets and tell sea stories. :lol: I’ve missed the last couple of years but I think I can make this one.

Photo site - http://donlwilliamsphotography.com

"A moment in time
        Immortalized forever
        With silver and light"

chaffee

Whoah! Sweet image Don!, and good morning to all!…apparently those cormorants like their catfish snacks!

I saw one yesterday but he didn’t give me any opps, I did happen to catch this loon, who seemed happy as a lark that he’d just grabbed a nugget off the bottom. Not a stellar shot but a great pose!

Have a great day everybody!

Tim

"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt" William Shakespeare

damar

Gee Don, you did great with the capture and the processing!
                Lucky Catch for both of you!
                Thanks for starting the Pub Daily!
                Those eyes!!

Tim, That is a great pose! He looks like
                :music: “Na Na Na Na Naaaa–look what I got…” :music:

This is Rudy gradually being acclimated back into the wild.
                DD was his mom for a few weeks after he was found on the ground after falling
                or being booted out of the nest.
                He got his name for being rude and demanding!
                He was soon after, successfully released and populated our area with his
                family.

Baby Mockingbird

Fujifilm X100F, XT20 + Nikon Camera Bodies & Lenses
                Photos are ©2021
                Rich

Don,
                    An awesome capture! Well done on the processing. Say hello to my Navy friends, wish I could be in the area. I was on the U.S.S. Coral Sea. Thanks for your service!

Love it Tim. He is proud, shoulders back and chest out! Good one!

Patty,
                    Good shot of Rudy! Glad he made it!

Well,
                    Our state is in a winter storm watch/warning. Western 2/3 is getting a blizzard and eastern ( where I live ) is getting rain. We are not expected to get much snow but things could change.

I had a Basil Cell skin cancer taken off the left side of my nose Tuesday. Got a beautiful?? black eye from the surgery.

Here is one I had to share. A while ago I posted this house. It is the first house my wife and I bought after marriage. She painted the house that color in 1969-70 and it has never been repainted. We sold it in 1973. Drove by the other day and it was all decked out for Halloween.

Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. –Mother Teresa
                    Cameras Canon SX160IS, SX740HS ELPH 170IS Photoshop Elements 2021, Topaz Studio, Adjust, and Simplify
                    Website http://rich-stedman.pixels.com

Hello bird lovers,
                    I can do birds. Luckily that is probably my most photographed subject when we visit Anna Maria Island. .

Patty, I thought that was a baby something or other. It is a good feeling when you can save a baby bird. When my kids were young, we saved two baby robins, Rainbow and Rambo! They were successfully brought up to be strong enough to fly away. Not a dry eye in the house!

Tim, Your loon looks like it is doing some sort of yoga pose. I got to try that, it looks like a good stretch.

Don, Thanks for starting the daily. The fish reminds me a smelt. Ah, I love a good dish of deep fried smelt.

He is a pretty preening pelican

Photography is the art of observation. It has little to to with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them. Elliott Erwitt
                    Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, Zuiko 14-150 mm zoom, Zuiko 2.8 60mm macro, Sigma 2.8 Fish Eye. Nikon D5100

Humburger

Wow, Don! That is a wonderful shot. I love it!

Great capture, Tim.

Beautiful picture, Patty. Such good color and a sweet subject.

Very nifty, Rich. Your wife made a good choice. That is what I painted our very first house. One of my favorite colors for a cottage.

That is a very pretty picture of the pelicans, Lorell.

Ginny
                        www.virginiacmccoy.com
                        C & C Welcome

Howdy Rich,
                        Guess what, I was thinking about starting the annual Halloween thread. When I saw your photo, I know I want to get it going. Do you mind if I cross-post it in the Halloween thread?

Photography is the art of observation. It has little to to with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them. Elliott Erwitt
                        Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, Zuiko 14-150 mm zoom, Zuiko 2.8 60mm macro, Sigma 2.8 Fish Eye. Nikon D5100

Ginny, Thank you very much.

Speaking about Halloween and your expert painting skills, do you paint pumpkins for Halloween instead of carving them?
                        LORELL

Rich

Howdy Rich,
                            Guess what, I was thinking about starting the annual Halloween thread. When I saw your photo, I know I want to get it going. Do you mind if I cross-post it in the Halloween thread?

Go ahead!

Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. –Mother Teresa
                            Cameras Canon SX160IS, SX740HS ELPH 170IS Photoshop Elements 2021, Topaz Studio, Adjust, and Simplify

Anonymous

Terrific image, Don.

Tim, that is a great pose – nice timing to capture it.

Great photo, and heart-warming story, Damar. Good for you and DD.

Nice photo of the honeymoon house, Rich. Yellow & white comprise one of my favorite color combinations.

Lovely image Lorell – the treatment is superb. Were all those pelicans present, or did you do some skillful compositing? [Not to be confused with composting, which is what my clumsy fingers first produced.]

Hi Ginny. Good day to you and all the rest of my WetCanvas friends.

Great… NOW you’re starting a Halloween thread after I already posted my green witch.

I have no new bird photos worthy of being in the same thread as those above. An hour ago I realized I haven’t taken many shots of Pippin lately, and since he had just wandered outside I quickly grabbed the camera and followed: I was fortunate to catch him in the brief minutes when the morning sun highlighted him but left some nice layers of shaded areas too. It’s always a challenge photographing a white dog in strong sunlight…

[Nikon D7500 + Nikkor 18-300mm @ 140mm, manual, 1/1250 sec, f/6, ISO 500, processed in CR &PSCS5]

Rich

Lorell,
                                    That is an awesome photo! Looks like a well executed acrylic painting!

Hi Ginny, thanks!

Thanks Dave,
                                    Lots of yellow lovers today!
                                    Good portrait of Pippin, you tamed the highlights.

Thank you Rich, Dave and Ginny.
                                    I had that photo in my files for a long time but just never saw its potential until today. I did no compositing, Dave. All those brown pelicans weren’t moving as I approached the pier.

Dave,
                                    A good capture of Pippin. The low light with all the details surrounding him makes this one a real winner. This is one of favorite shots of Pippin.

frodron

Nice shot of the cormorant,Don. It tends to confirm my view that most top class shots usually rely on being in the right place at the right time.

Cherish yesterday,dream tomorrow,live today

Greenhill

Nice grab of Pippin, Dave. :thumbsup:

Love your Pelican, Lorellican! Its almost Dalinesk!

Very scary, Rich, but one of the best-dressed Halloween figures I’ve seen.

Wonderful baby Mockingbird shot, Patty … cute little guy!

Well animated capture of the Loon there, Tim.

Nothing but a pretty little wildflower from me today.

MY FLICKR
                                            OLYMPUS OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3[FONT="Georgia"]
                                            The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill

Don

Thanks to all who commented on my Cormorant shot. It was taken from a series of shots of it trying to finagle a way to get the fish down.

Nice Pelican shot Lorell. I like photographing them as well when I can.

Always nice to see Pippin checking in.

Tim, I don’t get to see Loons too often. Nice catch.

Rich, you are lucky it is still around. I think every house I have ever lived in is gone, except the one we lived in before moving here. Years ago I was in the Norfolk, Va area for Navy duty and I drove by the house I lived in when I was around 6 years old. I went back the next year with a camera and all the houses there had been torn down and condos built. I missed out by not having a camera with me. :o

Damar, good that the little Mockingbird was able to make it back into the wild.

Photo site - http://donlwilliamsphotography.com

"A moment in time
                                                Immortalized forever
                                                With silver and light"

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.