WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Café Guerbois
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-09-2019, 05:37 PM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada
allow me a brag and a whine

La has been painting in oils since the 70's and has works displayed in private collections in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Ontario, Quebec, Nova Scotia, Canada, as well as Africa, Amsterdam, Dubai and Japan.

This is in the 'about' section on a fb site for my home studio

All fine and well, right. Sounds pretty freaking good, like i'm famous or rich or whatever.

But so what. I'm not.

What am i really suppose to do with that info - brag? ich, i'm not a pretentious sort and really don't sell myself well at all - i am Not a marketer/salesperson/promoter - i'm an artist/poet/writer/creative and that's all i wanna beeeeee

which is likely why i have 500+ pieces hoarded in my basement.
I kinda pity my children

la,
practicing bragging since ... five minutes ago
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek,Igbo(Nigeria)
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-09-2019, 08:41 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
New Mexico

Hails from United States
Re: allow me a brag and a whine

If you don't toot your own horn it won't get tooted.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-09-2019, 09:55 PM
A WC! Legend
USA

Hails from United States

Quote:
and really don't sell myself well at all -
Keep up with this -->
Quote:
practicing bragging since ... five minutes ago
"The glory of justice and the majesty of law are created not just by the Constitution - nor by the courts - nor by the officers of the law - nor by the lawyers - but by the men and women who constitute our society - who are the protectors of the law as they are themselves protected by the law . " RFK
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2019, 12:46 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Canada

yeah
gonna work on working on that
i really need to purge some works
schmoozing, can be fun!
i hope

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek,Igbo(Nigeria)
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2019, 02:41 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from England

I don't see relaying simple facts as bragging. Go on any business site and they'll tell you how good the company and personnel are. It's what most professional people base opinions on.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2019, 07:27 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Michael's right, he who tooteth not his own horn, the same shall not be tooted.

I pressed the space bar but I'm still on earth!
My work on Facebook
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2019, 09:45 AM
Lord of the Arts

It is not excessive bragging to let your studies, accomplishments, where your collectors are, etc. this is information I expect to see on an artist's website. You can present it matter of factly.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2019, 09:58 AM
Enthusiast

I recently read somewhere that "emerging artists" should spend between 30% and 70% of their time networking. In other news, when I was "made redundant", the English term for let go, from a 'job for life', my ex-firm provides a 1 day course on finding a new position. Main theme: Who do you know?
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2019, 01:53 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude j greengrass
I recently read somewhere that "emerging artists" should spend between 30% and 70% of their time networking.
I'm a SUBmerging artist. I spend between 30% and 70% of my time trying to figure out what to paint next. That leaves precious little time to actually paint much less network.

My suggestion to LA is to write her FB about page in first person rather than third;instead of: "La has been painting in oils since the 70's and has works ....
write:"I have been painting in oils since the 70's and my work is in....

Take ownership of your failers AND your accomplishments. Hiding behind a ficticous 3rd person never bodes well imo.

Other than changing pronouns I think La's about page is about perfect.

The reality is virtually no one reads about pages and those that do should take anything written there with a grain of salt. IMO writing a book about yourself in an "about" piece is not so much bragging as it is a sign of insecurity.

STUDIOBONGO
INSTAGRAM
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2019, 04:26 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
New Mexico

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBongolian
I'm a SUBmerging artist. I spend between 30% and 70% of my time trying to figure out what to paint next. That leaves precious little time to actually paint much less network.

My suggestion to LA is to write her FB about page in first person rather than third;instead of: "La has been painting in oils since the 70's and has works ....
write:"I have been painting in oils since the 70's and my work is in....

Take ownership of your failers AND your accomplishments. Hiding behind a ficticous 3rd person never bodes well imo.

Other than changing pronouns I think La's about page is about perfect.

The reality is virtually no one reads about pages and those that do should take anything written there with a grain of salt. IMO writing a book about yourself in an "about" piece is not so much bragging as it is a sign of insecurity.

If you went to openings in galleries very often you would know bios are always written like LA's bio,and people do read them.

Last edited by Michaelshane : 10-10-2019 at 04:30 PM.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2019, 05:03 PM

It's a good idea to mention actual gallery names and any exhibitions and publications you were a part of. Treat it like CV
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2019, 05:24 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelshane
If you went to openings in galleries very often you would know bios are always written like LA's bio,and people do read them.
A facebook page is not a gallery opening.

STUDIOBONGO
INSTAGRAM
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2019, 06:17 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Canada

The 'bio' is a cv for an upcoming solo show - I'm filling a local fusion cafe with works (oct 26 - just before xmas)... there's an opening night, meet and mingle with the artist kind of thing.

There are no galleries here, haven't shown in galleries; sales i've made (somewhere between 100-200) have been through local fixed or wandering art/craft shows via art societies and such, restaurants, cafes, word of mouth, students (africa, dubai), a couch surfer (japan), and a couple sales via cafe exposure in a larger city four hours from me (a daughter was my agent then). and online - to an area close to amsterdam via a WC! member.
These are not excuses, merely my reality and art in hickville is hardly a get rich quick scheme.
I honestly wouldn't know what to do with 'fame' - I don't want it, would immediately hire someone to deal with it and i'd plod along in my merry forest.

la
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2019, 10:12 PM
A Local Legend
Joshua Tree, California

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBongolian
A facebook page is not a gallery opening.

Galleries read facebook pages. In my experience, they don't judge artists the way you do, think they are insecure, or the other things you say about them. If an artist isn't a youtube star doesn't mean they are a failure either. The amount of hits or visits does not equal sales or success. A "bio" is written in 3rd person. A statement is written in 1st. It's probably best to have someone help you write your bio, otherwise it will probably sound like you wrote it yourself, this is true, but saying you sound insecure is harsh. I have read some bios where it was obvious that the person wrote it themselves and it just sounds unprofessional. Reading a bio "with a grain of salt" implies that you think the artist's accomplishments are bunk.

That's all.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2019, 10:15 PM
A Local Legend
Joshua Tree, California

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by La_
The 'bio' is a cv for an upcoming solo show - I'm filling a local fusion cafe with works (oct 26 - just before xmas)... there's an opening night, meet and mingle with the artist kind of thing.

There are no galleries here, haven't shown in galleries; sales i've made (somewhere between 100-200) have been through local fixed or wandering art/craft shows via art societies and such, restaurants, cafes, word of mouth, students (africa, dubai), a couch surfer (japan), and a couple sales via cafe exposure in a larger city four hours from me (a daughter was my agent then). and online - to an area close to amsterdam via a WC! member.
These are not excuses, merely my reality and art in hickville is hardly a get rich quick scheme.
I honestly wouldn't know what to do with 'fame' - I don't want it, would immediately hire someone to deal with it and i'd plod along in my merry forest.

la

I don't know too many people that want fame either. That doesn't mean you can't lay out the facts of your accomplishments. That's all good stuff. A couple hundred sales is nothing to poop on. I think it's wise to lay it out like a CV, or like a list. I have always really liked your art.