WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Think Tank > Creativity
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-27-2019, 04:53 AM

I quit painting

Hello, I start worrying I will never paint again. It's been months that I haven't painted - it makes me nervous because it's too slow and I smoke like a chimney. I prefer reading books...
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-27-2019, 05:29 PM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada
Re: I quit painting

not sure whether to say congrats or condolences

it is what it is

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek,Igbo(Nigeria)
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-27-2019, 10:47 PM
Administrator
Where ever I go..there I am

Hails from United States

Perhaps paint a great deal more to keep your hands busy so you can cut back on smoking. Win/win.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-28-2019, 10:03 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
La tierra del encanto

Hails from United States

Yeah. The smoking takes oxygen out of your blood and that makes your whole body slow because your body needs oxygen to make energy. In other words, it is similar to smothering yourself to death. They actually have ways to quit smoking. I quit for good in 2000. A good way to quit is to run out of money. I went from a pack a day to half a pack, and then down to 2-3 per day simply because it was getting too expensive (and that was when a pack was like 3.00) I don't know how people can even afford it now. Think of all the money you would have if you didn't smoke! I am doing something similar with food right now. I am a bit overweight and could live for several months on the fat I am carrying around. So I have gone to one meal a day in order to kill 2 birds with one stone, save money and also lose the muffin-top.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-28-2019, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member

Several well-known artists advise the when a person talks about painting, we should try to discourage them. IF they can be talked out of it, they didn't want to paint in the first place. So, painting is your choice.

So is smoking, and if you'd like I'll be glad to pull up my shirt and show you the scar that runs across my back where they jerked out my left lung. Smoking is your choice, but be aware that you're choosing a long and ugly death.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-28-2019, 02:41 PM
Veteran Member
western New York

Hails from United States

I never could figure out why people even got started to begin with.... Even if you didn't care about your health, why would anyone want to waste the money, they're so expensive, especially if one smokes alot.. You could be using that money on necessities, like food, and art supplies.

A case in point from a few years ago....

A good friend of mine smoked and constantly bemoaned that they just.couldnt.quit...
Nonsense, I said... How bad do you want to? So they kept a log for me for a little over a year of how many packs they smoked. I put aside the corresponding amount of money in a big jar... At the end of that one,. I had almost $1500 in extra savings...and they had to borrow money to pay their house taxes that year.

No I didn't lend them anything... And they still smoke.. I bought a colt instead.

As for the reading books parts, read some art books, or books on the subjects you like to paint. Sometimes I get into a long stretch of working OT. I might work a month or more of 10-12 hour days... Not much time for art work after that and doing chores, etc., So I do maybe an hour or reading an evening before bed. It keeps me connected to art when I may not have time to actually draw or paint.

Last edited by marksmomagain : 08-28-2019 at 02:49 PM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-28-2019, 09:31 PM
Homestead, Fl

Hails from Haiti

It's up to you to deal with whatever issue holding you back from painting.

In other words, you smoke like a dragon.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-29-2019, 12:12 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenRipley
... It's been months that I haven't painted - it makes me nervous because it's too slow and I smoke like a chimney. I prefer reading books...
You quit painting but you're worried that you might start up again because painting makes you nervous, smoke too much and you'd rather be reading.

We're here to help - Reading and writing about painting can often provide the same sense of community and accomplishment as painting without having to actually pick up brush and canvas. When the guilt becomes overwhelming remember - the world has survived this long without your art and will continue to survive if not thrive for a long time to come.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-29-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmomagain
I never could figure out why people even got started to begin with.... Even if you didn't care about your health, why would anyone want to waste the money

... I thought you were talking about painting
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-30-2019, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member
western New York

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustlilac
... I thought you were talking about painting

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-30-2019, 08:12 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from Canada

Have you painted for a living? Or is it just a hobby?
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-31-2019, 10:18 PM
A Local Legend
Joshua Tree, California

Hails from United States

Everyone here is giving you crap about smoking. Fair enough. Sure, you shouldn't smoke. I'm sure you already know that.

There's been a couple times in my life where I just didn't feel like painting for a long, long time and I worried I wasn't an artist anymore, but eventually, I got back to it. It happened when I was a smoker, and when I wasn't a smoker. I've been a life-long smoker, and I've quit for 10 years before. Right now, I've quit for the last three weeks. It's really hard.

I wrote when I wasn't painting. Do you like to write or do other creative things? Reading is not such a bad thing you know. What do you like to read?
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-19-2019, 11:21 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from England

I'm almost the same. I keep buying the odd canvas thinking I'll use them. They just keep piling up. In some ways for me it's because I can't think.of anything I really want to paint except my feelings and I'm not quite sure how to paint them.
I'm sure one day both us will paint again, or maybe not.

Regarding the smoking, when I painted a lot I mostly did it with a cigar in my mouth. Not a good idea dipping that in the turps!
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-23-2019, 10:35 AM
A WC! Legend
Kansas City, Missori

Hails from United States

Many of my cigar-smoking friends are always looking for cheap, good cigars, so they can smoke more often.

I'm always looking for good (moderately expensive) cigars, so I am not tempted to smoke more often--and I enjoy a good cigar more than a mediocre or bad one.

I never smoke cigars in the house (our new place has a large, lovely deck), so I never smoke in the studio.

But, I still do love a good cigar!
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-23-2019, 11:08 AM

I quit painting for a decade...I had retail/airbrush stores for 28 years..flat out burnt out...started back doing my finer work...regret ever stopping...I also quit smoking after 35 yrs...quitting painting=worst thing I've ever done..life is short...quitting smoking=greatest thing I've ever done...good luck..

Last edited by airart1 : 09-23-2019 at 11:14 AM.