Home Forums The Art Business Center General Art Business Paintingvalley.com WARNING

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    laf.art

Hi guys,
        Don’t know if anyone here has come across this site. Personally I’d never heard of it, but they’ve lifted an image of one of my paintings from the Saatchiart site and are now allowing it to be downloaded for free from their site. Apart from being a bloody cheek, they don’t even list me as the artist. Anyway I’ve informed Saatchi, don’t know if they can or will do anything but I thought I’d let you know anyway

laf-art.com | Prints | FB[/U
        Instagram laf.abstracts

~JMW~

Did you contacted Paintingvalley.com and demand your copied /stolen work removed?
            Of course it could be a scam site and ignore your request ..maybe they steal from everywhere..

Does Saatchiart have privacy settings so no images can be copied?
            Hackers do have ways to get around that I guess.

~Joy~

~JMW~

https://paintingvalley.com/contacts

It says contact them —
                By checking the following boxes, I state UNDER PENALTY OF PERJURY that:
                I have a good faith belief that the disputed use of the copyrighted material is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law

I am the owner, or authorized to act on behalf of the owner, of the copyright or of an exclusive right under the copyright that is allegedly infringed

* The information in this notice is accurate

~Joy~

Robin

Whoo hoooo, my boxer dog painting of my late, great Sarge is their first dog painting. Guess I’m supposed to be honored. I did fill out their little boxes and promised that I prosecute. I pointed out that they know full well that they are violating copyrights. I find my paintings in a lot of places, it’s a full time job, sadly to keep from it. The watermarking doesn’t work with these guys and it hurts sales from real customers.

Robin

I have added Warning to your title to make it more noticeable. This is a serious breach of copyright.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

Mike L

Domain whois lookups have changed so the only information provided is the name of the registrar, so contacting, directly, the owners of the site is even more difficult than it used to be.

The registrar of the site NameSilo, LLC and can be reached at [email][email protected][/email].

I’ve been through this twice since the mid-90’s, and the registrars usually respond with excuses like, “We’re just the registrar and don’t control the people or businesses that use our services.” Which is hog wash. They all have clauses in their contracts prohibiting illegal activities.

Two ways to combat the infringement. Contact the registrar and request action be taken to stop the activity. We can all contact them via that email and state our case(s) – we don’t have to be directly involved, just explain why we’re interested and ask them to take the site down.

The second way is for those who have had their creations stolen file a DMC take-down request AND discuss other possible actions with attorneys.

Practice religion freely and freedom religiously.

Liz

You need to contact the web host not the registrar.

My Art
                            --------------------

Mike L

You need to contact the web host not the registrar.

Not so much, unless you know what the host is and have contact information.

“Back in the day” performing a whois lookup often gave the host’s name, as well as a technical contact, the domain owner’s name and other useful information. But, not anymore.

In this case, the registrar is Namesilo.

Lookups also provide the nameserver, in this case, cloudflare.com. They are not the host, only a server farm that provides space to hosts and other internet entities. The website gives only a toll free phone number (+1 (888) 99 FLARE) for sales and no other contact information. You can try them, but probably won’t have much luck. Nameservers can get the domain blackballed.

There’s also a good chance Paintingvalley’s take-down form doesn’t meet legal requirements, either. It requires a web link to the infringed work, which is not required by the law. The IP owner has to only state which work on the site is infringing and the site owner must take it down – no evidence required. This appears to be a sneaky way to prevent reports. However, the form does permit interested parties to make reports, too. Interesting.

If any artists here want some group help, let us know the link to the infringing work and we can complain to [email][email protected][/email]. Add a link to the original work and we can also report it to Paintingvalley.com.

Practice religion freely and freedom religiously.

Liz

I’m not surprised at all that they use Clouflare to hide. Even though Cloudflare is legit it’s used by sites that steal copyrighted stuff. There is a way to find the real ip address of the host. Read this article I found: https://torrentfreak.com/cloudflare-reveals-pirate-site-locations-in-an-instant-150629/

In any case complaining to the registrar won’t help.

My Art
                                    --------------------

Wetcanvas is hosted by Cloud flare.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

Oh Wow! I see work by Debora Stewart and Rita Kirkman on this site. I wonder if either of those artists gave permission?

Debbie
                                    C&C welcomed and appreciated...

JWJarts

Hi guys, I’ve just joined up and will be having a look around in a few minutes but I saw this old thread and wanted to share. I am currently battling my way through scores  (215) of copyright violations regarding images stolen from my website, and PaintingValley was one of the worst offenders. I say “WAS” because I have successfully had all of my work removed from their site. If any of you still have images being used by PaintingValley I’d be very happy to explain further.

allaprima1

Indeed I have paintings swiped from etsy and my website found on PaintingValley and I filled out the takedown form on all of them…TWICE now…and I do suspect that form doesn’t comply to DCMA…..if you have had success, please let us know how. Thanks!

JWJarts

Hi allaprima1 and sorry to hear you’ve had work stolen by PaintingValley.

Having gone through the steps you did, also with no success, I dug a little deeper and found that PaintingValley are hosted by a service which operates through the Cloudflare network. Although Cloudflare aren’t responsible for the content of individual websites, I nevertheless submitted a DMCA form against them. I found their form here …. https://www.cloudflare.com/abuse/form. They replied very quickly advising that they are not responsible but, and this is the important part, they told me that PaintingValley is hosted by HETZNER-AS, DE whose abuse contact is [email protected]. What is also good is that their email contained the sentence “If the hosting provider has any questions, please have the hosting provider contact us directly regarding this site.”.

From here it was easy. I wrote an email to Hetzner providing a list of the images being infringed, complete with the URL’s of those images on the PaintingValley site. I asked that they should instruct their client to remove the images immediately and if in any doubt to contact Cloudflare for further guidance. Within 24 hours I received an email from PaintingValley advising me all of my images had been removed.

Though I have provided you with Hetzner’s address I still think it worth going though the whole process starting with the Cloudflare DMCA. Having Cloudflare on your side will cause Hetzner to take your email seriously, besides, it’s always possible PaintingValley has moved to a new host.

Good luck.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.