Home Forums Explore Subjects Animal and Wildlife Subjects THE ANIMAL INN – Our Chatroom for AugustSeptemberthru to December 2019

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 144 total)
  • Author

Hi everyone, we are now into the month of August! And how this year is flying by!!!

I’m beginning a new Chatroom Thread for the next 3 months. The link to our previous Thread is here;
    https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1465457&page=6

Looking forward to hearing all your news and photos from our regular member and also new members to our Forum.
    We hear it’s been an extremely hot Summer in the Northern Hemisphere – seems as if Climate Change is here to stay!

Moderator: Animal & Wildlife, Floral & Botanical, Watermedia

fedetony

Hi… hahahah.. got the first post!!! :D

Federico Garcia
        My Blog
        C&C always welcome :D

"...when someone gives a critique of your work, fear not. It usually means they like or care more of your work than when they just pat your back." - Tiago

I’m sorry you’ve been ill, Viv and missed your holiday. It seems the only good thing is Pippa not having to board. I hope you continue to improve in health.

Dry here, again, today. I pruned a fig and have been cutting the branches into small pieces for the bin. I used the hose yesterday to water pots, to save carrying cans. I had three falls last week, would you believe! A nicely swollen ankle and some impressive bruises on arms and legs. I just missed hitting my face on the corner of a wooden raised bed!

Penny
        I live in Wiltshire, England
        “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” -Will Rogers

Oh, dear Penny, poor you. How horrid for you. Thank goodnes you did not hit your face on the bed. Do be careful. I hope the swelling of your ankle is going away and that it is not too painful.

Thank you all for the nice words regarding the loss to my life of my precious friend in South Africa. Today is her memorial service. She might have left her earthly body but her spirit of humour, love, and loyalty lives on within my heart and mind.

Today I am busy with an enormous commission….. a huge tree and it is not going well. I am just not getting it together. I think my mind is too full of sadness to paint at the moment. Hope to get going again tomorrow when my husband, Pete is climbing a mountain with a friend.

The heat wave seems to have abated here and we are having very pleasant moderate weather. Hoping and praying that dam holds near Liverpool. Those poor folk who have lived so long near it and now have to leave their homes. Many are elderly folk and I feel desperately sorry for them.

Chammi
        My Blog/WIP's and Tips: Chammi's Art Escapades

I do hope you soon feel like painting again, Chammi. The loss of those dear to us can hit hard. Take care.

My ankle is on the mend, thank you and the bruises on my arm and knee are colourful!

I visited a Victorian school in the village of Sevingon, near Leigh Delemere outside Chippenham. We spent the afternoon as Victorian children in the schoolhouse, having to behave as they did. We wrote with dip pens , sitting on benches at the school desks. The tour leaders were dressed as Victorians and we had tea and cake in the parlour afterwards. We also visited the church up the road at Leigh Delamere. The village, school and church were built by a philanthropist by the name is Neald. He also built the Neald Hall in Chippenham.
        He was left his fortune by an uncle who was a jeweller/goldsmith , who became court jewller after raising himself from humble beginnings near Sevington
        https://www.sevingtonvictorianschool.co.uk/

Lesley took some photos

Schoolhouse

School teacher and villager

Some of the church and Sevington village

School bell tower

Penny
        “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” -Will Rogers

I misspelt his name, it should be Neeld.

Penny

Triduana

Saying Hello in the new thread :wave:

I like your photos Enny, you visit a lot of interesting places.

I’m in Shetland at the moment (the northernmost of the Scottish islands). I’ve been here since Monday – working unfortunately, so I won’t get a chance to have a proper look around. It’s very pretty. When we got here we went to a headland near the airport for a bit of birdwatching, and I’ve never seen so many puffins – they were such fun to watch. And on Friday we were treated to fantastic views of a pod of killer whales. I will share photos when I get home.

Our art club exhibition started on Saturday. I’ve heard we’ve had lots of sales but no idea if any of mine have sold, and I won’t get to visit until the last day.

Kay D - Edinburgh, Scotland

So long, and thanks ...

I’m pleased you enjoyed the photos, Kay. I look forward to yours.

I’ve never been to the Isles. Are there trees on Shetland? I think I would miss them.

Ooh, it will be exciting to find what happened at the Art Club. I do hope you have some sales.

I am starting at a new art group in September- run through the U3A. It’s in a village a couple of miles away and Lesley is joining, too, and will drive us there.

Penny

Penny, you certainly have some interesting experiences. This one is so interesting and looks like a lot of fun. That poor gent looks like a lonely little petunia in an onion patch. (my Dad always said that was what he felt like when my Mom had all her girlfriends for tea). Great photos. Did you do some sketching? Those wonderful old buildings are just crying out to be in someone’s sketch book. Looking forward to reading all about your new art group.

I managed to do some work on my tree commission today. Trying to paint something that is one and a half metres long by 50 centimetres wide and contains just one long tree is a challenge of mammoth proportions. My client wants a representational but somewhat impressionistic with some detail. You work that one out!!!!!!

Chammi
            My Blog/WIP's and Tips: Chammi's Art Escapades

Wow, that’s a very interesting commission, Chammi. Good luck with it. The thought of a petunia in an onion patch is a laugh!

I’m pleased you enjoyed seeing The photos.

No, I didn’t take a sketchbook. It’s something I don’t do and ought to, if only for fun.

Penny

fedetony

I managed to do some work on my tree commission today. Trying to paint something that is one and a half metres long by 50 centimetres wide and contains just one long tree is a challenge of mammoth proportions. My client wants a representational but somewhat impressionistic with some detail. You work that one out!!!!!!

something like this comes to my mind
                https://img-2.fruugo.com/product/2/80/14193802_max.jpg

Federico Garcia
                My Blog
                C&C always welcome :D

"...when someone gives a critique of your work, fear not. It usually means they like or care more of your work than when they just pat your back." - Tiago

Yay, Fede yes you were first to post in our Chatroom this month! Well done!

Joy – I’ve never watched the Brokenwood Mysteries but I’m glad you are enjoying it. Apparently the series is very good, and I think it’s set in the North Island? We live right near the bottom of the South Island. So it was filmed a long way from where we live. We are near “Lord of the Rings” country.

Penny – I’m so sorry you had another fall. Hope you are recovering now?
                Love your photos. There is something special about ancient buildings isn’t there….they have such character. My grandmother (when she was young) used to teach in a country school in New Zealand. Many years ago long before my mother was born so it would be about the beginning of the 1900’s. Anyway the old School where she taught still remains and has been turned into a Restaurant. And it has a covered gateway exactly like the one you’ve posted – it could be the same one! Did lots of old buildings have those 100 years ago? New Zealand was populated by settlers from the UK and Scotland so I guess they brought the same building ideas with them. Fascinating!

Kay – The Shetlands sounds wonderful! Hope you have some sales with your Exhibition! Good luck with it.

Chammi – Good luck with your Commission. Sounds interesting and do try and take some photos for us.

We’ve had a mild Winter up until now. The Ski Fields have been complaining they haven’t had enough snow but all that changed in the weekend! Most of New Zealand had a cold weather snow dump…..including us! The first snow in our new house since we moved in last December. Pippa was most unimpressed and didn’t appreciate the cold wet snow on her little feet.

Moderator: Animal & Wildlife, Floral & Botanical, Watermedia

Lovely to see Pippa and the footsteps in the snow. I don’t think of you having snowfalls!

Yes, I’m fine , thanks, but my back is complaining.

The lych gates were at the entrance to many churches. I believe they were for coffin bearers to wait before the church in inclement weather.

I have Nico and the two whippets staying. Everybody has had walkies, I’m listening to the Test Match and have finished Nico’s portrait. I have also chosen which animal I doing for the challenge, but not starting that, yet. I am at an interesting part in the detective novel I’m reading and want to continue that before I have a rest.

Penny

Triduana

I’ve never been to the Isles. Are there trees on Shetland? I think I would miss them.

There are a few trees about but none of them are very big. I did see a small conifer plantation somewhere. I am finding myself missing the trees and it is strange not to see them!

The weather has got a lot cooler in the last couple of days. The fog comes and goes very suddenly, you think it has set in for the day and the next thing you know it’s bright and sunny. The light here is beautiful, very soft. Shame I haven’t had much time for sightseeing, I will need to come back and explore properly.

Kay D - Edinburgh, Scotland

So long, and thanks ...

Thanks for the information,Kay. I would find it hard living without trees. The weather sound very Scottish.

Penny

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 144 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.