WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Café Guerbois
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-27-2018, 07:51 PM
Lord of the Arts
L.I., New York

Hails from United States
Re: The recent painting that you like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianuk
Nice, a mish mash of purple, green, black and pink mud that has no meaning to me other than its total rubbish. That's not to say others may like it, there's no accounting for taste. I bit 😊

Yup. We are all entitled to think like we do.
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-27-2018, 07:53 PM
Lord of the Arts
L.I., New York

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy wolf

A great work by a Chicago based (Romanian born) artist by the name of Costel Iarca.
He works primarily in acrylics on large canvases.

Your work is much better imsoho. I actually hate this kind of thing.

Last edited by john : 08-27-2018 at 07:56 PM.
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-27-2018, 08:12 PM
Lord of the Arts
L.I., New York

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlukesguild

I really like this one. Yeah like Sargeant. Wonderful brushwork and light. Mood, design.

And that brushwork in the background is like Hairy wolf. Almost as good.
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-27-2018, 08:15 PM
Lord of the Arts
L.I., New York

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy wolf
Wow, John!! You included my thingy among a few great works. Oh my....
Thank you!!

You're welcome.
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-27-2018, 08:30 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from England

Quote:
How can I admire the paintings of Nick Alm... and those of DeKooning and Guston? The same way I can take pleasure in the very different musical forms of J.S. Bach, Richard Wagner, Stravinsky, Miles Davis, Merle Haggard, and The Rolling Stones.

As I mentioned in my post on Guernica in another thread here, I don’t think it’s necessary to have some in depth understanding of the history and the theory behind a work of art to take pleasure in it. The Guston painting speaks to me first and foremost as an unabashed play with brushwork and joyful color. I doubt that anything I tell you concerning Guston’s intentions, development, the development and concepts behind Abstract Expressionism, Guston’s admiration of Monet and Mondrian... is going to change your response to his paintings. Neither would I expect that a serious scholarly discussion of the nutritional value of Brussel Sprouts or Lima Beans would lead to you liking them if you don’t like them now.

Honestly, I didn’t come around to admiring most abstract painting until I first saw many of them in person. I began to question how it was that I could enjoy the abstract design in works of architecture, a Persian rug, or even something in nature, like a rock formation... and yet not an abstract painting? I also began to recognize that in an abstract work I could appreciate the design and composition elements, the brush work, the physical surface without a concern for these needing to represent another thing. When I began to work abstractly myself, I was able to push elements of design, surface, and color more freely... without concerning myself with “correct” drawing, perspective, etc... I greatly value what I learned from this experience even now... years after returning to figurative art... and I still greatly value a good deal of abstract art. I can’t fathom the inability of many of those who love figurative and realistic art to appreciate a fine abstract painting any more than I can fathom the inability of those who embrace Abstraction and contemporary art forms to also be able to appreciate a painting such as Nick Alm’s above.

I appreciate abstract art... However, I don't appreciate art that is passed as abstract and is nothing more than brushmarks with no more thought or creativity than a drunk with a brush in front of a canvas. I have a great respect for colour and in many abstracts colour has been paid no attention to whatsoever, it's another instance of a drunk reaching for the nearest colour on a palette with no rhyme nor reason. If there is no more point to art than a mess on a canvas, then there is no point to art.

Last edited by ianuk : 08-27-2018 at 08:35 PM.
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-27-2018, 11:19 PM
Victoria, Vancouver Island

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Black

I have included this painting because I love it. The problem is I dont actually know who the artist is, perhaps someone else will know.

Bathers on the Beach by William Blair Bruce, a turn of the 20th century Canadian Impressionist.

You might have seen his painting on this thread I had put together a couple of years ago.

Edit to addIn fact scrolling thru it, you mentioned that you loved this one.

Moderator Acrylics Forum~~~Reference Image Library

Last edited by ColinS : 08-27-2018 at 11:22 PM.
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-27-2018, 11:22 PM
Immortalized
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

Hails from Canada

Last week I received a couple of catalogs from major shows focusing on the New Objectivity (Neue Sachlichkeit) art in the Weimar Republic - one from the show in LA in 2015, the other from a show at Schirn Kunsthalle Frankfurt that closed this February past. FWIW, the digital intro to the Shirn show is still up, both in English, and in German. They're both well done.

The LA show was pretty much an overview of all variety of styles and ideas of New Objectivity, the catalog has lots of good reproductions as well as in depth text. The Shirn show was primarily focused on the artist of the "left" of New Objectivity, those that focused on the people and the social upheaval of the era. Many of those are still pretty well known - Dix, Grosz, Beckmann, etc. But a couple of others quite caught my eye, especially two - Lotte Laserstein and Jeanne Mammen - who have been discussed a bit already here, by SLG and IIRC olive.oyl.
So here they are:
Jeanne Mammen : The Fortune Teller:

[Kultur und Alltag]

Lotte Laserstein:
Russian Girl with a Powderbox:

[Städel Museum]

Lotte Laserstein: I and my Model

[Das Verborgene Museum]

Ah well, back to the catalogs.

Cheers;
Chris
The primary palette: Attention, observation, memory, imagination, integration, execution
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-27-2018, 11:32 PM
Victoria, Vancouver Island

Hails from Canada

Some intensely beautiful work posted above.

I am also a huge fan of Hairy Wolf's work. Good choice John.

Moderator Acrylics Forum~~~Reference Image Library
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-27-2018, 11:46 PM
A Local Legend
Pretoria

Hails from South Africa

Quote:
How can I admire the paintings of Nick Alm... and those of DeKooning and Guston? The same way I can take pleasure in the very different musical forms of J.S. Bach, Richard Wagner, Stravinsky, Miles Davis, Merle Haggard, and The Rolling Stones.

As I mentioned in my post on Guernica in another thread here, I don’t think it’s necessary to have some in depth understanding of the history and the theory behind a work of art to take pleasure in it. The Guston painting speaks to me first and foremost as an unabashed play with brushwork and joyful color. I doubt that anything I tell you concerning Guston’s intentions, development, the development and concepts behind Abstract Expressionism, Guston’s admiration of Monet and Mondrian... is going to change your response to his paintings. Neither would I expect that a serious scholarly discussion of the nutritional value of Brussel Sprouts or Lima Beans would lead to you liking them if you don’t like them now.

Yeah, but Brussels sprouts and Lima beans are good for you. Abstract expressionism and Wagner are not.

Quote:
Honestly, I didn’t come around to admiring most abstract painting until I first saw many of them in person. I began to question how it was that I could enjoy the abstract design in works of architecture, a Persian rug, or even something in nature, like a rock formation... and yet not an abstract painting? I also began to recognize that in an abstract work I could appreciate the design and composition elements, the brush work, the physical surface without a concern for these needing to represent another thing. When I began to work abstractly myself, I was able to push elements of design, surface, and color more freely... without concerning myself with “correct” drawing, perspective, etc... I greatly value what I learned from this experience even now... years after returning to figurative art... and I still greatly value a good deal of abstract art. I can’t fathom the inability of many of those who love figurative and realistic art to appreciate a fine abstract painting any more than I can fathom the inability of those who embrace Abstraction and contemporary art forms to also be able to appreciate a painting such as Nick Alm’s above.

All perfectly true, and I do in fact enjoy some abstract art. Just not the biggest fan of ab ex. But then, I have never seen them in person - perhaps that would change my mind.
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-28-2018, 09:26 AM
Immortalized
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianvds
All perfectly true, and I do in fact enjoy some abstract art. Just not the biggest fan of ab ex. But then, I have never seen them in person - perhaps that would change my mind.

I find most ab ex just vaguely irritating, but I couldn't put my finger on why. But then I realized it's like being at a party where's there's someone who can only talk about their own feelings, and does so incessantly. Seeing the paintings in real life is like having that person stand next to you, talking really loud.

Cheers;
Chris
The primary palette: Attention, observation, memory, imagination, integration, execution
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-28-2018, 09:42 AM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

Very nice Chris. The fortune teller reminds me of Daumier. Expressive line.
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-28-2018, 10:59 AM
A Local Legend
Costa Rica

Hails from Costa Rica

Quote:
. I can’t fathom the inability of many of those who love figurative and realistic art to appreciate a fine abstract painting any more than I can fathom the inability of those who embrace Abstraction and contemporary art forms to also be able to appreciate a painting such as Nick Alm’s above.

I agree.

Thank you Colin!

"Life is far too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-28-2018, 11:15 AM
A Local Legend
Costa Rica

Hails from Costa Rica

Wow, I didn't realise that this thread would turn into a bashing of abstract art...I wonder what it is about it that makes people so angry.

"Life is far too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-28-2018, 01:09 PM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

Katie: I've seen way more bashing of photo-realism.
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-28-2018, 01:39 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Ladies and gents, my two cent:
Throughout the last 5 or 6 centuries people seem to place higher value (not necessarily financial, that too!) and hold in higher esteem works of art that go beyond the fantastic technical ability of photorealists. Examples: Rembrandt vs other artists of the Dutch “Golden era” whose depiction of figures, still life etc. was technically mesmerizing. Turner vs Constable or Reynolds. Van Gogh vs Lautrec or Sisley. There are numerous other examples from different periods, including the present. The point is that the ability of the artist to “pour his soul” onto a two dimensional surface by means of powerful strokes, daring composition, distortion, strange coloring etc. seems to take the sensitive viewer to the “distant meadows of the mind” and that is more valuable, it seems, than the admiration of one’s great technical ability.

Here is an example of a contemporary (Romanian born, again....) artist - Adrian Ghenie. He’s been “discovered”. His works sell for seven digits at auction: