WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Café Guerbois
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2018, 07:19 PM
Lord of the Arts
L.I., New York

Hails from United States
Re: What are you listening to . . . (reprise)

And this is Sigur Ros with choir, orchestra, the whole shebang. Something about seeing so many together on one purpose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VvB...HPHUc&index=22
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2018, 07:33 PM
A Local Legend
Costa Rica

Hails from Costa Rica

It is truly an amazing piece of music.

"Life is far too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2018, 11:12 PM
Lord of the Arts
L.I., New York

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Black
It is truly an amazing piece of music.

Awwwww, I hope it's good cry Katie

I find it interesting that most beautiful music usually has a tinge of sadness. At least to me.

It must be amazing to be a part of a performance like this. At the end of this it looks like everyone is in some kind of reverence.
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2018, 04:19 PM
A Local Legend
Costa Rica

Hails from Costa Rica

Quote:
Originally Posted by john
Awwwww, I hope it's good cry Katie
At the end of this it looks like everyone is in some kind of reverence.

That's exactly what I felt too.

The strange thing was that for the first half of the performance I didn't feel much and then that all changed and the power of the music really moved me. beautiful.

"Life is far too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2018, 05:42 PM
A WC! Legend
Grafton, NH

Hails from United States

The incomparable voice of June Tabor. Two very different kinds of tunes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwKRKrXwhnA&index=8&list=PLe68bExFztlnHs6d 1F_p7Q8bnDi1dSlIu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMYYkDJDUYI

If The Cloud Factory doesn't tug at your heartstrings, you might as well be dead.
We cannot define anything precisely. If we attempt to, we get into that paralysis of thought that comes to philosophers, who sit opposite each other, one saying to the other, "You don't know what you are talking about!". The second one says, "What do you mean by know? What do you mean by talking? What do you mean by you? ~R.P. Feynman

Last edited by musket : 01-15-2018 at 06:12 PM.
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2018, 11:01 PM
A WC! Legend
Grafton, NH

Hails from United States

I thought this must be a joke when I first came across it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKIFrPn0m4c

Well, it ain't, and it reinforces my long held belief, common to everybody who plays electric guitar, that there are two kinds of electric guitar player in the world-- Jeff Beck, and everybody who isn't Jeff Beck.

We all of us know who the master is. No one can touch him when he's in his majestic mode, as he is here and was in the version of People Get Ready, from the Truth album. And there are no tricks, no gimmicks, no stomp boxes or digital effects. It's just a Strat straight into a Marshall. The rest is in his fingers.

A zillion people try to play like Hendrix, Clapton (one of my most important influences), Page, Stevie Ray and many others. You name 'em, somebody can play like them. But nobody even bothers trying to play like Beck. It's pointless. It can't be done. You may get all the notes right, but you will never, ever get that sound.

Clapton wisely restricts himself to rhythm guitar and gives a credible vocal, though he botches the lyrics in one line. I've always though he was under rated as a singer. As a guitarist... fifty years later, this remains the greatest, most out and original set of blues rock solos that has ever been played. And live, no less. He was truly on fire that night (as was Jack Bruce). He never surpassed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MF5fQXVZGug
We cannot define anything precisely. If we attempt to, we get into that paralysis of thought that comes to philosophers, who sit opposite each other, one saying to the other, "You don't know what you are talking about!". The second one says, "What do you mean by know? What do you mean by talking? What do you mean by you? ~R.P. Feynman

Last edited by musket : 01-15-2018 at 11:09 PM.
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2018, 11:59 PM
Enthusiast

Ahhh...Moon River was lovely. To me, Beck looks like Ronnie Wood and I don’t know why I never really got into him. But Clapton was an early favorite and I forgot how much I loved Crossroads so that was a really fun listen. It made me want to find a version of Have You Ever Loved a Woman and I attempted but got distracted and drifted off into Alvin Lee instead. I listened to a few songs from Rock and Roll Music to the World, which was one of my very first albums. I decided that Ten Years After do NOT hold up and I can forget them. Then for some reason I thought of Delaney and Bonnie (or are they Bonnie and Delaney?) and I found the album I had which apparently was called Home (name forgotten) and listened to a few tunes from that (songs remembered).

So overall, that was a fun little distracting trip down memory lane.

But now I have to sleep, so keep yer crazy racket down!
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-16-2018, 11:11 AM
A WC! Legend
Grafton, NH

Hails from United States

Yeah, I don't think Beck has changed his haircut since his days with Rod Stewart. I don't care for everything he's done, but I give him credit for not standing still. Of the three Yardbirds original guitarists, he's the only one who's kept trying to grow musically.

Clapton's best version of Have You Ever Loved a Woman is on the Derek and the Dominoes album, which I think is his greatest album, period. His desperation over his then unrequited love for Pattie Boyd drove him into heroin addiction, and into making the finest music of his long career.

Poor Alvin Lee got stuck with "the world's fastest guitar player" shtick and never really got credit for anything else even though he's excellent even when he doesn't play fast (of course, these days he would be considered a slowpoke compared to any number of shredders).

It was Delaney and Bonnie. A meteoric rise and then consigned to the where are they now file.
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-16-2018, 04:32 PM
Lord of the Arts
L.I., New York

Hails from United States

Oh yeah Jeff Beck was/is great. Hendrix is still king IMO. There are so many great guitarists out there. One of the best - at least technically - and least known is Steve Morse - formerly of Dixie Dregs, which is how I know of him He was voted guitarist of the year for three years in row by guitarist magazine.

I don't play guitar but those who do will find this interesting. Yeah,just do what he does!

too many notes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stuggHXjTBc

and this is a live performance of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iqo9...-ZT8qYpvvjeqei
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-16-2018, 05:06 PM
A WC! Legend
Grafton, NH

Hails from United States

Hendrix doesn't even come into these things; that's taken for granted.

Steve Morse is a great all around guitarist. He can play in many genres and very well in all of them. His chops are taken for granted by anyone who knows of him, however, that's a pretty lame tune if you ask me. It's pointless noodling for the sake of noodling, and his tone is horrible.

This guy and this tune are more like it if you dig people who can play fast with ultra-clean articulation. He's far from the fastest out there, and lot of shredder types rag on him for not getting fancy with scales and modes, but his tone is killer. He sounds more like a great violin virtuoso on those blazing single string lines than anybody else I've ever heard. The main melody that kicks in at 2:30 or so is catchy as all get out. The guy plays like an angel. This isn't noodling. It isn't mindless show off shredding. It's extreme chops in the service of music, the way it should be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUECcou-34A

Like Morse, he can play in many genres, but tunes like this, his most famous, are mostly what he's known for.

Last edited by musket : 01-16-2018 at 05:13 PM.
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-16-2018, 05:43 PM
A Local Legend
Charles City, Iowa

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by musket
I have now. What do you like about this guy's singing?

I do enjoy his voice, but it is more his arrangements and he also is talented instrumentalist. In general, I prefer his older works (pre- mid 1980s). He has been performing professionally for nearly 50 years. Admittedly, I have not heard is last full album I Miei Sanremowhich came out in 2010, for comparison.

I started this morning listening to Firesign Theater. Haven't decided what to listen to this afternoon.

Andrew

“What a genius, that Picasso. It is a pity he doesn't paint.” - Marc Chagall
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-16-2018, 06:52 PM
Lord of the Arts
L.I., New York

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by musket
Hendrix doesn't even come into these things; that's taken for granted.

Steve Morse is a great all around guitarist. He can play in many genres and very well in all of them. His chops are taken for granted by anyone who knows of him, however, that's a pretty lame tune if you ask me. It's pointless noodling for the sake of noodling, and his tone is horrible.

This guy and this tune are more like it if you dig people who can play fast with ultra-clean articulation. He's far from the fastest out there, and lot of shredder types rag on him for not getting fancy with scales and modes, but his tone is killer. He sounds more like a great violin virtuoso on those blazing single string lines than anybody else I've ever heard. The main melody that kicks in at 2:30 or so is catchy as all get out. The guy plays like an angel. This isn't noodling. It isn't mindless show off shredding. It's extreme chops in the service of music, the way it should be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUECcou-34A

Like Morse, he can play in many genres, but tunes like this, his most famous, are mostly what he's known for.

I had heard that song and I'm dimly aware of him. Yeah he plays with musicality, which is my criticism of Morse and Vai and players like that.

Speaking of sensitive,musical and brilliant playing.....Michael Hedges. I was lucky enough to see him. The genius just shines through. Amazing what one guy with a guitar can do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaIN13aDbCc
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-16-2018, 07:01 PM
Lord of the Arts
L.I., New York

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Black
That's exactly what I felt too.

The strange thing was that for the first half of the performance I didn't feel much and then that all changed and the power of the music really moved me. beautiful.

I'm glad you liked it Katie.

I was out on my tiny sailboat and had that playing, as the chorus came in a flock of geese flew past. One of those times in life.
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-16-2018, 11:02 PM
A WC! Legend
Grafton, NH

Hails from United States

Michael Hedges's untimely death was a very bad loss for the guitar world.

In my book, Joe Satriani is the best of the shredders. I don't like his tone much either but it's better than most, and he knows the value of shutting the hell up and taking a breath every so often.

Bad lip-and-play synching or not (Keith obviously doesn't give a flying damn), this is a perfect song in every respect. People who think it sounds like a Beatles tune have no clue. With all due respect to the greatest studio band that has ever been, they never sounded like this at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afam2nIae4o

Pete is arguably a far more influential guitarist than Hendrix, Clapton, Page and Beck put together, in terms of his effect on the music that followed. He was and remains perfectly capable of playing blistering lead, but most of the time, he don't need no stinking solos.
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2018, 12:03 AM
A WC! Legend
Grafton, NH

Hails from United States

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4ga_M5Zdn4

I'm glad I grew up in the mid-late Sixties. It's fashionable now to dis the era, and yes, we were naive enough, for awhile there, to think we could change the world with love, peace and music (not to mention sex and dope). But people who didn't live through it just can't understand what it was really like.