WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Abstract and Contemporary Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2014, 05:54 PM
Enthusiast
Connecticut

Hails from United States
Re: Help if you have trouble with Abstracts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkipod
There is also one other video (Mel McCuddin) which I would recommend you watch if you don't know how or where to start.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3wz9wg0Dos

I found Mel's video truly inspirational - in fact he inspired me so much that I actually started painting.
The McCuddin video is very interesting. Thanks for posting it.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2014, 06:49 PM
Lord of the Arts
Denmark

Hails from Denmark

great video, thanks for the link.

http://www.bricksite.com/astrupart
c & c welcome anytime
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2014, 04:23 PM
Apache Juction, Arizona

Hails from United States

The My Generation did make me smile and gave me permission not to think about why I am doing what I love to do best...abstracts

Shari
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2014, 07:58 PM
Enthusiast

Great thread. I would add Gerald Brommer to your quest. Google Gerald Brommer +abstract design. He has some wonderful grids to inspire you. K
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2014, 04:39 AM
Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishka Baha
If you are wondering how to loosen up your abstract painting I think this video is quite enlightening and even if it doesn't achieve what you are looking for it should make you smile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NABOH1JwAE

This is a fantastic video...so freeing and expressive. Thanks for posting it.

I am a fan of the Dutch Abstract painter Rolina Van Vliet. I find her first book inspirational. You could follow her method to start with if you liked:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Art-Abstract...570 95&sr=1-4

Angus
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-28-2014, 11:52 PM
A Local Legend
Joshua Tree, California

Hails from United States

I know I'm coming late to this thread (I haven't been to this forum for a few months - jeez maybe longer!) but I was just giving some abstract advice in another forum here, so it's fresh in my mind.

It is maybe scary to start along a road that you think you don't understand, but understanding it can be as easy as just looking at a lot of abstract art and find out what moves you. It's really as simple as that.

I was just saying to someone else that abstract art might seem to some like paint just thrown on a canvas willy nilly - just the same way some abstract artists can't make the jump to understand conceptual art. Like the higher the art goes, the harder it might be to be open to it, especially once it surpasses aesthetics and gets into the realm of "concept."

It's hard enough to understand what makes an abstract painting successful. WHY would one abstract painting be more successful over another one?

I am self taught. I am not an academic at all, but after I was painting for some 20+ years, I began to study art history. I knew what artists I liked already, but I wondered why they were so wonderfully famous. There are just so many artists that have seen so much success over many many decades , it's impossible to make a list!

So, I started to read about who I liked.

My very first favorite artist was Paul Klee, then Kandinsky. Maybe you can start there? The two of them really started their own movement if you read up on those guys. Read about the Blue Riders (Der Blaue Reiter). There were a few artists in the group.

I like minimalist abstract too, but I favor more painterly stuff really.

The current painters I like are women, Amy Sillman and Dana Shutz. They are both extremely successful. You can find them both on Saatchi. Saatchi is one of the most (or maybe the most) infamous art collection in the world. Charles Saatchi notices you and that's it. You're an art star. Can you imagine?

If you start looking at the history of abstract art and the things that were tried during the times that they were tried, you might get some context for how far contemporary art has really come.

It's kind of like a dialog. A long dialog. And each decade of artists stands on the shoulders of what came before. It's not just paint thrown on the canvas like some people might think. It's an exploration of trying something new and, IMO, some artists touched upon taking things to the next step and some artists expressed. Some did both. I guess that's what the word means: abstract expressionism.

It's expressing. It's freedom. It's the only thing that matters.

There is also a lot "bad" abstract art out there and I think it's because there are a lot of repeats (derivative) work -- people trying to make things that they have seen. It's what they think is abstract art is, however there is nothing wrong with that either. All that really matters is that you enjoy yourself, not make "masterpieces."

None of us can do that, even when we've been working at it forever!

But once and a while we can squeeze out something decent. Hopefully. And we might even like it for a couple days - before we start to hate it again. LOL!
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-04-2014, 07:05 PM
Lord of the Arts
Norfolk, VA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artyczar
But once and a while we can squeeze out something decent. Hopefully. And we might even like it for a couple days - before we start to hate it again. LOL!

Yes! lol.

www.jim-whalen.artistwebsites.com
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-22-2014, 03:59 AM
Australia

Hails from Australia

A good video - thank-you Ishka
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2014, 01:42 AM

I am so glad I read these posts tonight. The suggestions and videos are just what I need to shake me out of my painter's block. Now I understand that it is not that I can't find a reference photo I am excited to paint. It is that I can't get excited about painting the photo with the realism that the camera records.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-07-2014, 10:58 PM

I love working with abstracts. They're fun and I can be free with the paint. I work intuitively and feel the painting. It helps if you know the elements of composition, but art is subjective so just have fun and create your own style
Sterlinggirl
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-08-2014, 07:08 PM
Enthusiast
Loch Stahkenberyl, NSW

Hails from Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by abs100

I am a fan of the Dutch Abstract painter Rolina Van Vliet. I find her first book inspirational. You could follow her method to start with if you liked:

Angus

Thanks for the information on Rolina, I hadn't heard of her. I've ordered two of her books and am looking forward to them.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-29-2014, 04:03 PM
Veteran Member
Kelowna, BC

Hails from Canada

I was once told by a gallery owner that doing abstract before doing realism is like learning to run before you walk.

There is another saying in my own profession, you should be able to build what you design...

Okay that last one may not make that much sense but I think being able to faithfully reproduce that rose first (or as near as you are capable of) is the road to truly understanding its being, its structure, etc. When you can paint that rose, you may be better able to abstract it, as now you truly understand it.

Despite what a lot of people not making art might think, good abstract art is freakin' hard. I have also found that the more I learn about it - the more I understand it, the harder it gets! But I love it. If I could earn a living doing it, I would quit my job in a heartbeat.
~Chris
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2014, 04:37 PM
A Local Legend
Joshua Tree, California

Hails from United States

Chris,

I have to agree with you, although it doesn't mean that people can't make good abstracts without knowing the basics of drawing. I've seen it happen. Still, I think it's good to know your basics first. I just think the more you can master, the bigger vocabulary you have to do anything you want.

However, I do think you can run before you walk, just as long as you eventually walk too. Sometimes when people start out, their point of entry is expressionism. That's what leads them into art in the first place and they can more easily express themselves than someone who has been doing realism for 20+ years - as you say - abstract art is not always easy. It comes naturally easier for some more than others.

But I do think it's best to learn all your chops. If you know how to do it all well, or at least pretty well, there's no stopping you on creating anything you can imagine in any medium.
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2015, 08:46 AM
A Local Legend
Near Winchester in Hampshire.

Hails from England

Quite frankly after all the above, I am still baffled. I am a figurative/realist painter and only attempted the works I posted in here today as a way of using up materials and a failed competition piece, not failed, but not acceptable.

I am a stickler for line and perspective and cannot get past that and being 75 yrs old and gone through all sorts of pain and trouble both physically and mentally in the last 2 years, I want t paint and still do almost daily.

Abstract has always been a mystery and I don't stop in a gallery to view a piece.

Where am I going wrong as I am a curious person in my search for what, where, why and how?
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2015, 12:25 PM
A Local Legend
Joshua Tree, California

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod
Quite frankly after all the above, I am still baffled. I am a figurative/realist painter and only attempted the works I posted in here today as a way of using up materials and a failed competition piece, not failed, but not acceptable.

I am a stickler for line and perspective and cannot get past that and being 75 yrs old and gone through all sorts of pain and trouble both physically and mentally in the last 2 years, I want t paint and still do almost daily.

Abstract has always been a mystery and I don't stop in a gallery to view a piece.

Where am I going wrong as I am a curious person in my search for what, where, why and how?

Tripod,

What did you think about the feedback you were offered about the two pieces you posted?

Also, have you ever looked at Deibenkorn?