WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Decorative Arts, Murals, and Faux
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-27-2019, 03:35 PM

Mural help - alternative/temporary methods

Hello All,
I was initially asked by a local non-profit to paint a few indoor murals inside their new office space. I had originally designed large, edge-to-edge murals but unfortunately the landlord has now requested that we not paint directly onto the walls, so I'm trying to come up with an alternative idea where I can still paint a large scale installation (as opposed to just painting on standard sized stretched canvas to hang on the wall). I'm curious if anyone here has any advice on how to go about this? The budget is very limited at $500 for 3-4 interior walls, and I have agreed to do the paintings at cost of materials since they are a non-profit and a cause I believe in. I have seen some large scale paintings done on unframed canvas rolls, but am not sure how to go about hanging/adhering to the walls in a way that A: doesn't hurt the walls and B: is long term and looks high quality. Any input is appreciated! Thank you!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-01-2019, 01:40 PM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada
Re: Mural help - alternative/temporary methods

masonite (hardboard) or plywood (good one side) would be my choice. masonite is cheap, smooth and light enough to be hung with a few mirror hangers.

if the landlord balks at a few nails/screws in the wall, well, yer pooched

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek,Igbo(Nigeria)
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2019, 09:06 PM
Enthusiast
Florissant, MO

Hails from United States
Re: Mural help - alternative/temporary methods

Been awhile since this thread/topic was posted, but here's some additional information that might help OP if still looking, or someone else with the same question.

Rolls of canvas might work. Blick sells 72" x 9' triple primed 15 oz duck canvas for around $100. Page linked to says it's 15 oz in the description and 20 oz in the individual data columns. Might contact them to see which it is.

This source sells 15 oz 60" wide canvas in 1 yd increments for $5.99/yard. You'd have to prime it, but for a mural a decent paint primer from the hardware store would probably work as well as gesso and be a lot less expensive.