WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting > The Technical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2017, 10:02 PM

questions on Artograph digital projector

I posted this thread this morning on the Studio Tips forum but did not get any replies. I thought I would post it here to see if someone can help me.

I have a large painting I need to do and figured it would be easier to project my drawing onto the canvas instead of griding it out. I am looking for a digital projector that is not terribly expensive to buy for this task. It will need to be able to take an image off a USB thumbdrive since I will scan the drawing in sections and input from a thumbdrive. I looked at the Autograph flare 150 (*which is the LG PH150). I have some questions that I hope someone might be able to answer.

1) The unit is listed at 150 lumens......is this enough light to project an image at about 8 feet high?
2) resolution seems high enough......will the image be good enough to get the main lines (don't care about detail) drawn quickly?
3) any other feedback will be appreciated
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2017, 07:00 AM
Immortalized

Hails from Netherlands
Re: questions on Artograph digital projector

You may get better answers by asking the manufacturer.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2017, 07:10 AM

I have contacted Artograph about these questions but they never got back to me. I will try again because I heard they had good customer service. That being said, I tend to rely on the advice and input from people who have used the products......especially other artists.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2017, 07:35 AM
WC! Guide
Maryland, USA

Hails from United States

also try Amazon's product reviews, example here:
Quote:
Just got this unit, based upon the reviews of other users, I expected it to be brighter. I guess 100 lumens should have been a clue. It works in a shaded or semi-darkened room on a white wall, but in a room lit by indirect light with translucent shades pulled down, it is not easy to see or to trace. It fades. My studio is well-lit as it should be for painting. I will have to wait till night time to get a decent image for blocking in. Not what I hoped for or expected from the reviews.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2017, 08:18 AM

I did read all the reviews and saw that one, however, Amazon lumped the PH150 (artograph flare 150)with the PV150 and the PV150 (artograph flare 100)which has 100 lumens of light, whhereas the PH150 has 150. The one I am looking at , artograph 150 is the upgrade to the 100......and is fairly new. On the art supply sites, there are only reviews for the 100 that has lower brightness. That is why I am asking here......thought someone might have the experience with the flare 150
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2017, 08:57 AM
WC! Guide
Maryland, USA

Hails from United States

You only said that you posted in Studio Tips, so you may get helpful advice that you may have already pursued.

If there are no responses here, another place to investigate is on facebook.
There you will find users who are familiar and experienced with this product and might be able to answer such questions.
Here is a typical search: https://www.facebook.com/pg/artograph/community/
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2017, 09:47 AM

Yes i had one and 150 lumens is enough with curtains closed. I did my sketching at night to get best results.

Bear in mind you need to place the projector on a level surface. Parrallel to the centre of the canvas else you'll get converging lines.

I then bought a mini projector but the smallest movement meant small drawing mistakes that i found annoying. Plus the converging edges meant the placement of the projector had to be very very accurate. The minimum focus distance is quite poor with these projectors and as i do larger paintings i had to set the projector way back across the room.

I went back to the grid method albeit a much longer process but very accurate.

For quickness though if you arent as patient as me its very handy for getting the mainlines in.

Last edited by Raffless : 09-07-2017 at 09:52 AM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2017, 10:25 AM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

I've done a lot of research on these and I find the projectors made for "artists" are the most expensive and not that bright. Do a search in general for digital projectors. You'll find some interesting and affordable alternatives.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2017, 08:41 AM
North Texas

Hails from United States

LPaint22,
150 lumens should suffice for an 8 foot projection in a dark environment. That projector likely won't provide great detail, but should suffice nicely for all your bigger, main lines. -hhh

Web Site
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-18-2017, 01:20 PM
Charlotte, NC

Hails from United States

This is one of the few things YouTube is good for. Do a search for your model and there will be reviews where you can see it in action.

I also like that no one has taken the bait to debate the use of projectors or grids.