WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting > Partner: Virtual Art Academy
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-06-2014, 06:55 AM

Paintings from Barry's Travels

Barry often travels around to world to find subject matter for his plein air paintings. His favourite places to paint are Tuscany, Italy, and China. This is a sunset painting he did in Hunan, China earlier this year:

Last edited by jacqseddon : 08-06-2014 at 07:05 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-06-2014, 07:03 AM

Re: Paintings from Barry's Travels

Here is of Barry's sketches that he did while he was in Australia in May. It was a beautiful evening and the setting sun made a lovely silhouette pattern of the trees. It is always important to capture the "itness" of the trees and rocks in the landscape you are painting, or it will not look authentic.

See his online art course at VirtualArtAcademy.com for more information on how to capture "itness".

Last edited by jacqseddon : 08-06-2014 at 07:06 AM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2016, 08:21 PM
Calgary

Hails from Canada

Barry is truely and amazing painter.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-27-2016, 07:37 AM

Moody Evening, Garrapata, Big Sur - 16in x 20in - Oil on Canvas

This is a plein air painting I did on my recent trip to California and the Big Sur Coastline. This was one of my favorite places to paint during my time living in California. I was originally hoping for an evening of shimmering light on the water, but the actual evening developed in a very different direction. There was a faint sliver of light on the horizon where the sun was setting beneath a band of clouds. In the end I liked this effect since it let me concentrate on the emerald green hues in the water and their contrast with some of the rich oranges in the foreground vegetation.

If you look closely at the painting, you will see that I am using a combination of watercolor techniques such as thin washes, as well as impasto oil painting techniques. This is something I have been experimenting with in some of my recent work. It may have some relation to my exposure these days to the work of several traditional Chinese painting masters during my work in China.

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-01-2016, 04:09 AM

This is the plein air painting setup I was using on my recent painting trip to Mauritius. I am using a Mastersen seal palette box mounted onto a tripod using an Easel Butler. I put the palette in a big freezer overnight to slow down the drying of the paint. This system gave me much more palette mixing area to work with, which I find helps with finding a good color harmony.

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-20-2016, 07:25 AM
Veteran Member

I like your strokes. Good scene!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-21-2016, 05:42 AM

I painted this in the gardens outside the Villa Borghese in Rome. It is a beautiful museum to go to if you get the chance, with some wonderful sculptures by Bernini. In this painting I used the key discovery of color pairs.

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-15-2017, 08:27 AM

Paintings from Barry's Travels

Finished 24" x 24" oil. I did the first version (60cm x 80cm) plein air in Zhaosu, Xinjiang, China last fall (sheltering in the shade of a tree in front of their house, hence the wall shadows!). But I re-thought the composition and did this one in the studio, this time adding the two children to give the painting a story.
Attached Images

Last edited by b123 : 08-15-2017 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Update image
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2017, 08:56 AM

Sunset Over Zhaosu Grass Plains- 32.8cm x 40.3cm - Oil on Linen

I spent many evenings on the high grass plains of Xinjiang in China watching the beautiful sunsets. Here is a painting of a sunset inspired by one of those wonderful evenings.

The detail shows some of the colors I used for the sunset, and the paint texture.

(for a detailed discussion of paint texture and blending, see the article I wrote for the Virtual Art Academy in the oil painting techniques section - http://virtualartacademy.com/oil-pai...blending.html).