WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting > Oil Painting - Hall of Fame
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#121   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-29-2017, 02:26 AM

Re: Oil-from-life challenge, Aug. 2017: any subject, but esp. landscapes with water!

Wow T1, that's an amazing self portrait painting. It's hard to pull it off and you did well! Lol about the coffee. In a way it was still useful rather than being wasted. Also that night painting. That's awesome! I wanted to ask about the light but you already answered that question. Thanks Geoff!

Geoff, I also have read about mixing with knife and tried it but for some reason I prefer mix with my brushes, with few exceptions, like it I want to have pure black and some colors to fake a pigment such as yellow ochre then I will do it cuz it is easier to do in larger quality with knife. In end it really depends on what you want to do I guess but for me 85% of time I use brush.

I reworked on the cliff and started on a new canvas... Most detailed work I have done air plein wise. Still need to get good photos of them before I can share. I also will work on a new one again today so expect a flood of my art soon.

Nocturnal? Mmm I'm not sure if I will do one, just saying but who knows. It's just that I'm usually too lazy to be painting at night plus I get a serious case of insomnia if I paint late. Dunno if it is same for you?

Good morning from France by the way!
  #122   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-29-2017, 05:23 AM
Veteran Member
Athens, Ohio

Hails from United States
Re: Oil-from-life challenge, Aug. 2017: any subject, but esp. landscapes with water!

I mix with my brush 90% of the time. There are only certain situations I mix with the knife. I just find it to be much quicker than with the knife, and also keeps my mixes more interesting, as I try not to rinse my brush in oms for as long as I can until I absolutely have to for an intense color or something. I like to let my mixes become varied and let colors on my pallet intermingle, on the thinking that it will help build better harmony, and more varied colors in my paintings.
  #123   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-29-2017, 07:27 AM

T1 yeah that sounds like the way I work with it too.

Reworked on the cliff :

"Bridge of France." 18x24cm canvas panel -focused on getting subtle hues right. Was done on cloudy day. Not sure how I feel about the details.

Worked on 3rd one consisting the river but it got super hot that I had to abort it. I will continue it tomorrow. It's supposed to be 35c right now. Way too hot!!!
  #124   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-29-2017, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member
Athens, Ohio

Hails from United States

I just ordered a tube of maroger medium from Oldmastersmaroger last night, I am so excited I can't wait for it to get here! I have been wanting to try maroger for awhile now. It said it should be here in 1-3 business days so I'm hoping it will be here before I leave for Virginia Beach next week. I am going down there to attend a Kelli Folsom workshop. She is an artist I really look up to and I feel I like to paint in a style very similar to hers (although it may not look like it cause she is so much better than I am!). Anyways, have any of you guys ever used maroger? If not, I'll let you know how it works out for me.
  #125   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-29-2017, 01:56 PM
Veteran Member

DMA, thanks for posting your latest work. I hadn't noticed your signature before! Very nicely done. I think the cliffs are much improved now. The bridge has a Monet feel to it! But that one you didn't sign. Do you plan to continue work on it, or do you consider it done? And yes, 35 degrees is too hot. My rule is I don't paint outside if it gets over 90 F (32 C).

I've never used maroger, T1. People who use it seem to love it! It sounds like it has lots of uses. For me, though, the smell and the small lead content would probably be a deal-killer, but I seem to be hyper-sensitive to smell. I use no solvents other than walnut oil.

I can see why you're drawn to Kelli Folsom's work. Her still lifes remind me of yours. Is that her specialty? I'll be really curious to hear what you think about the workshop. I've done a couple portrait workshops locally, but I'd love to do an intensive plein air workshop some time. Anyway, let us know how it goes.

I'm still debating the theme for next month. Maybe I'll broaden your "nocturne" theme to suggest non-sunny outdoor themes (nocturne, rain), to help us think of the victims and devastation of Hurricane Harvey. Just a thought.

Last edited by Grotius : 08-29-2017 at 01:58 PM.
  #126   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-29-2017, 07:59 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

I had already posted this in WOYE, when I realized it really belongs here instead, since it is from life.

It's a portrait sketch finished* just today which was painted from a live model:

* It isn't really finished - edges and transitions aren't all worked out - and as always the color is slightly off. But this is it, since the sessions are over, so no more model. Even with it unfinished I'm happy, b/c it's a pretty good likeness and I put only 6 hours into it - counting breaks - so I managed to paint much, much faster than usual.

“We need more images and news that is good news, to make us wake up in the morning and do something good for yourself and someone else.”
~Romero Britto

Last edited by AnnieA : 08-29-2017 at 08:02 PM.
  #127   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-29-2017, 10:49 PM
Veteran Member

Annie, wow! I love your use of cool colors around the nose and neck; they make the warm cheek seem more alive. Really nice drawing, too. I love her expression. I hope you showed the picture to your model. Portraits from life are, for me, the most challenging thing -- even harder than the full figure, for me anyway.

I know what you mean about painting fast. I never feel that pressure more intensely than with a live model. The next break is always just a few minutes away, too. Six hours is about all I ever get too. Sometimes just 2-3 hours.

It's been raining here, though nothing like the catastrophe in Texas. I may not get out to plein air for another day or so.
  #128   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-30-2017, 10:25 AM

Geoff, thank you. Monet is awesome so it means a lot to me! Well this one was not signed because I was already packing up the stuff when I realized I haven't signed it and was way too tired to do it at this point. It was one of the longest sessions I have done. No worries, it is now signed!

T1, I haven't heard of it. Please let us know how maroger medium is! I'm using walnut oil and sometimes zest it solvent. If it's outdoor I have no problem but in door it's likely I use more walnut oil and only use solvent to clean up cuz of the smell. I haven't heard of Kelli Folsom, but wow her works are amazing! You are so lucky! Let me know how the workshop goes.

Annie, excellent portrait! Brushwork is sweet! Also the way you did the warm and cool hue shifts are well done. It's never fun having to try and paint fast eh? However I find it to be the best way to learn in term of being efficient. Keep it up!

Here's mine. "Two Rocks peeking through the river." and 18x24cm canvas panel. I was determined to capture the water more accurately! I hope I have succeeded!
  #129   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-30-2017, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member
Athens, Ohio

Hails from United States

DMA: Your works have been nothing short of absolutely lovely lately! I agree with Geoff, I am definitely feeling a very Monet-esq vibe from your work. Absolutely delicious!

Annie: Great job on the portrait from life! They can be quite difficult. I paint from a live model every Wednesday night, and we only get 2 hours, and there is a 5 minute break every 25 minutes, so its not even a full 2 hours. Makes time go by so fast! A lot of the people in this group have been pushing for them to make it a 3 hour session, and tonight they are going to have it go for 3 hours to test it out and see if people will stay that long etc. Then its back to 2 hour sessions again until they decide to keep it at 3. I hope they will make it 3 permanently, 2 hours is just not enough for me usually. I do like practicing speed though, I find it very helpful for plein air and painting from life in general to be able to paint quickly and accurately. I am by nature a slow painter though, so I really have to work at it. I am getting better and better though. I also have to drop off a painting to a gallery in Columbus today, it was accepted into a show there called "Hit the Hop". If I win 1st place I will have my own solo exhibit at their gallery! That would really be a dream come true!
  #130   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-30-2017, 10:31 PM
Veteran Member

Wow, DMA, your stuff keeps getting better. That is a gorgeous painting. I think you nailed the water! I chose a similar subject a few months ago but had much more trouble with it. Rivers are hard! Well done.

T1, congratulations! That's SO exciting! Let us know what happens! Can you post the painting for us, or does the gallery not want that? Maybe you've posted it here before? Even if it's not from life, I'd make an exception in this case and let you post it here. :-)
  #131   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-30-2017, 10:37 PM
Veteran Member

I have been working on this storefront off and on for a couple weeks. It's "Kid's-eye view of Anglo-Dutch Toy Store,"oil on panel, 11" x 14". It's not the best thing I've ever done, but it was fun. The store owners were very welcoming. They know me cuz I've been buying gifts there for decades. I posted it on my blog with a link to their store. ;-)

While I was there, I did this tiny sketch of another part of the mini-mall in about 20 minutes."Westwood Mall, looking south." I kinda prefer it to the storefront, heh, as the composition is better, but obviously it's just a study. Which one should I post in Gurney's storefront challenge?

#132   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-30-2017, 10:51 PM
Veteran Member
Athens, Ohio

Hails from United States

The storefronts are lovely Geoff! I think I like the first one better, just such good vibes and reminds me of being a kid!

The first painting here is from my portrait group tonight. It was kinda hectic because the electricity was down in their building the whole time tonight, so we set the model next to a window and lit him with natural light. It was kind of nice to be honest, just kind of dark in the rest of the room, but I managed to get a spot where I could face my panel towards the window as well and got some light on it. I am pretty happy with it, it took about 1.5 hours. It is an 11x14" oil on panel.

The second painting here is the one that was accepted into the gallery show and was painted from a photo. Its a 12x24" oil on stretched canvas titled "In the Summer". Although it was a photo that I snapped while I was painting plein air. I looked at it when I got home and it was just one of those photos that was begging me to paint it. The way the light was falling on the kids in the boat was just lovely. It wasn't staged or anything, these high school kids just happened to be playing around in this boat near where I was painting. So yes I never posted it in this thread since it was from photo reference, but since you so kindly made an exception, behold:
Attached Images

#133   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-31-2017, 12:50 AM
Veteran Member

Those are just great, T1! That's funny that you painted the portrait in the dark (sort of). You're really taking this nocturne thing quite seriously, aren't you. But seriously, a really great portrait. You're getting better at them, I think. This one captures a certain aura about the guy.

The photo painting is great! I'm glad I made an exception for it. How did you find a canvas that size? Did you cut it yourself? I mostly buy pre-packaged panels and canvases, so I never get to post on very wide/tall supports like that.

I hope you win!
  #134   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-31-2017, 03:25 AM

Thank you Geoff and T1, you are too sweet!

Geoff, great paintings! Even though both are good, I think I prefer first one because it has more details and colors to keep you interested, know what I'm saying? Also it provokes a lot of good childhood memories! Love it!

T1, great portrait. I think natural lighting actually helped a lot. Something about it brings out more character from him and the hue shift is tasty! I also saw this boat piece you did in your thread, don't think I have commented about it, but I indeed found it lovely and can totally get what you mean by the lighting. That's what inspires me to paint. Just to capture this magical lighting! Good luck with your entry. I hope you will win!

No plein air for me today. It's raining and we are thinking of moving to another campsite which might have less rainy days else we will just go home. If so, I will be a bit sad cuz for the first time I'm really enjoying this vacation a lot! It's like I found my true calling with painting and nature here. So beautiful! I also have learned a lot, mostly thanks to France rivers so colorful and beautiful! The topic this month was perfect! Thanks Geoff! I'm looking forward to next month, I'm sure we will improve some more and that we will have fun doing it too! It's always awesome to be able to share and support each other!
  #135   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-31-2017, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member
Athens, Ohio

Hails from United States

Geoff: They sell 12x24" canvases at the Jo Ann Fabric's store here locally. I had the canvas laying around, I was going to use it for a commission that never went through, and thought it would be perfect for this painting.