Home Forums The Town Center Welcome Forum! Any advice for flaking oil painting

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    yadwigha

I have this oil painting I did years ago (before I knew to gesso the canvas myself, even if the canvas label says it has been gessoed multiple times) and I just discovered it buried in my closet. It’s actually a decent painting and even though in certain sections the paint is lifting and chipping I was wondering if it was still salvageable. I’m pretty sure it’s an adhesion issue due to improper gesso. But I was wondering if putting a bunch of layers of varnish on it would somehow solidify the whole surface and stop it from lifting. It’s not flaking everywhere, just a few tiny areas. The painting is about 5 years old. Any thoughts?

Jon

It is nice to meet you!
            I suggest this question be asked in the Oil Painting Forum.
            Reminder:
            * You can access any Forum by using the “Forum Jump” located at the bottom right of the screen or the Channels drop down menu at the upper left
            * Moderators and Guides have links in their Signature lines to address FAQ’s
            * There are “Stickys’ (permanently ‘stuck’ threads) at the top of Forum pages that are full of helpful information

Hi, nice to meet you.

The oil people should be able to help you out for sure. They also have many threads with all sorts of info, if you’d rather look through those.

For help navigating the site, information and how to’s on inserting images and more, please read the Member FAQ’s. Let us know at anytime if you need help. :)

Welcome to WetCanvas!

The Purple Dog Painting Blog
            Find me on Instagram
            Find me on Facebook

opainter

Hi! Welcome to WetCanvas!

We have forums here for just about any kind of interest in art, so look around, find what you are interested in, and join in the discussions.

WetCanvas is a great place to find help and camaraderie with other artists of all skill levels.

I’m a “regular” in the Color Theory and Mixing forum, and you are welcome to visit anytime to discuss pigments, colors, color palettes, etc.

Thanks for joining!
                See you in the forums! :wave:

AJ (opainter)

AJ (opainter), C&C always welcome
                :::: Helpful links for new users: User Agreement || Reference Images || C&C Suggestions || Color Theory and Mixing (color theory and color selection) || Full List of Forums
                :::: Painting Blog with an article now and then

Greggo

Welcome to WC!

Lots of fine folks here, you will meet many of them as you browse about. Sharing, learning and teaching others is the best way to fan the creative flames.

We are always glad to see new members, hope you have time to explore all the different Forums. There are all levels of artists here, working in virtually all mediums.

There are many free tutorials available, and the friendly folks here will try to help you with any questions.

Be sure to review the guidelines for commercial uses, and for the use of images in the Reference Library..

Check out the Photography Forums, too. No camera is required! Many of us just like to look at and discuss phots. There are some very talented folks there.

Looking forward to seeing your art.
                    Looking forward getting to know you!

Links to additional information contained in my signature line below.

Life is good!
                    Very good indeed.

Greg Otvos at Camp Sawdust Studios, Red Bank TN

https://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/17-Jul-2013/110200-Tatrabanner.jpg [FONT=Times New Roman] Click here for>> WC FAQS >

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.