Home Forums The Learning Center Color Theory and Mixing best acrylic paint range? no not a spam ..would like to know

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    tidal

Hi..no this is not spam and i would apreciate if no one does spam this thread ..i honest independent opinions on brands of acrylic paint pleaseas am can’t decide between acrylic or oils right now so would like to try the best acrylic out there so my experience with it gives me a real idea of what is possible with it. Am asking as you get the usual w and n comming up n a search but I realy would like to know of the lesser mainstream marketed paints out there as I usualy find they do not come up that easily in a search. Don’t mind the hefty price tag as I will only be buying one small tube to try…many thanks :)

Sculpture is what you bump into when you back up to see a painting..Barnett Newman

Humbaba

Your best bet is to stop by a Art Store and purchase several brands, judge for yourself doing color tests.

You also need mediums for Acrylic paint, the ones that retard drying for example.

Richard P

Before you look at different brands, what do you like about acrylics, and about oils? Some painting styles are better suited to oils, and others acrylics.

musket

Golden. Huge range, high pigment load, great company. A little more expensive than some but worth it.

tidal

I already have stuff going back years and can see the difference between how oil and acrylics look.Just was wondering if there was anything new out there in terms of acrylics is interesting to ask on here as I have already discovered some oil brands I had never heard of before from casual converstaions on here and never found googling it iether. ..bothe oils and acrylcs have there good and bad points realy.I will check golden as I havent used them before actualy as that doesn’t get mentioned much in uk is usualy daler rowney or w and n

Sculpture is what you bump into when you back up to see a painting..Barnett Newman

Richard P

Golden OPEN is good if you like extended blending times (not as much as oils).

cb3

Liquitex Professional and Golden are both good. I’ve used both.

I tend to buy more Golden these days as they are a small company that an artist can ask question of. Service after the sale. But both are good.

DMSS

Liquitex Professional, Golden, M. Graham, Winsor & Newton, Matisse Derivan, Chroma Atelier, are all good. There are heavy body (like oils in consistency, buttery), and fluid (also called soft body). Not all manufacturers offer both. Look for artist or professional grade. I second the comment above about Golden’s customer service.

--David

DMSS

Also Tri-Art heavy body is good. I am not a fan of their soft body. I also don’t like their packaging, but that’s just me.

--David

SeaScapePtr

I have mostly Golden acrylic paint and I’m switching over to Winsor & Newton (assuming it’s as good as I’ve heard). I’ve ordered 2 W&N colors and 2 kinds of white to start with. I’m tired of how much time I have to waste because Golden and most other acrylic paints get darker when they dry, apparently because they have a white acrylic medium that becomes clear when it dries. It just wastes so much time remixing and repainting areas to try to get the right shade. And this is especially a huge problem when you are trying to make subtle changes in shading. So Winsor & Newton professional acrylic paint is made to change shade as little as possible as it dries because they use a translucent medium. It also takes longer to dry, so it’s easier to blend. I heard something similar about Old Holland so I also ordered a tube of their Indigo, wich W&N doesn’t have. Also W&N seems to have more chroma than other brands. I love bright, strong colors and I dislike dull, greyed out colors.

francjs

I use W&N, which I like and I find are slightly softer than Golden HB, which have more drag. I find it easier to cover larger areas with W&N.

Haven’t tried Liquitex heavy body yet, but would like to. I read somewhere that the coverage is not great, but I see them recommended quite a lot on this forum.

Dragon Wyrm

I use the paint brand that has the pigment I want and can be easily acquired in the area I am in.

Mattise has Prussian Blue, which I could not find in any other brand available near me.
                                                    Golden’s Green Gold is NOT PY129 therefore W&N is the brand of choice for that colour.
                                                    Golden has buff titanium that is a single pigment, therefore that is my buff titanium paint.
                                                    Liquitex is quiet nice and was cheaper than golden for the same pigment.

Now if I was to limit my self to one brand it would depenend on the circumstances.

If price is no issue: Golden or W&N or Matisse

Golden for the large amount of pigments and convinience mixes, and the multiple paint lines.
                                                    W&N for the limited amount of pigment choices (I like most of the choices they made) that include some fun and interesting hard to find pigments, quiet nice paints.
                                                    Matisse is generally cheaper but it has a couple of specialty paints that go up in price (YnMinBlue or the Mayan colours)

Medium price: Liquitex or Attelier or Matisse

Liquitex I enjoy the mediums they offer and the paints a pretty good.
                                                    Matisse for the pigment choices (thought I don’t like how many mixtures it appears to have sometimes), it has Prussian Blue.
                                                    Attelier is good enougth, seems to be lacking in some more unique and interesting pigments.

Low price: nope buy a more limited pallet of the outher brands instead

All C & C welcome.

Schmincke PrimAcryl – there is a liquid version as well.
                                                    Many colours and heavily pigmented, with the promise of good lightfastness.

I don’t know if they are available where you are.

(I myself mostly use Vallejo Artist Grade or Amsterdam Expert – not “that” good but good enough for me)

- And the poet sheaths his pen while the soldier lifts his sword.

kinasi

W&N is probably my favorite acrylics.

I’ve tried Golden Open because there was a bit of a hype about it a few years ago. Frankly I’m not a fan, while Golden Open dries slightly slower, it is also far more transparent than regular acrylics because they basically add retarder to it. I might as well paint with watercolor at that point.

members

I keep gravitating toward Golden. I like their fluid colors a lot. I do not use a lot of tube paint but have tried most of the brands already mentioned and as long as they’re not student grade they’re all good. Preferences are such a personal thing. What one artist loves, another hates! As long as it’s a professional quality it’s going to come down to slight variation in colors, and the texture/body of the paint being which ever one you like best. Just stay away from the cheap stuff, especially if you’re going to compare it to quality oils. The new acrylics are really good and there are mediums for every purpose you could imagine.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.