WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-20-2017, 11:13 PM

Staying Focused-How do you do it?

I wasn't sure where I should post this since I work in acrylic, oils, and a little graphite every now and then so since right now I am putting more focus on acrylics at the moment I figured I would put it here.

I'm not sure that staying focused is really the correct title or lead into this post either, maybe slowing down is a better lead in, but here it goes.

The other night while I was working on a piece and things were going well and I was starting to loose myself in the piece. I painted for about 2.5 hours and when I stood up from the painting I wasn't completely displeased with what I saw but it wasn't exactly what I wanted to get accomplished that evening. After sitting and thinking about it later that night and the next day I realized what I did and what happens to me a lot (and it causes problems with my paintings) is that I loose focus or work to quickly and almost go into auto pilot. I start by paying a lot of attention to my reference photo working to get the colors right and as I continue working I start paying less and less attention to my reference photo and start working more no my own which leads to mistakes.

My question to all you seasoned artists is what are some of the techniques you use to keep yourself focused and moving deliberately and slowly while you work? Is this something that developes over time as you mess up over and over?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-20-2017, 11:19 PM
Veteran Member
Missouri, I'm still in Colorado in my heart

Hails from United States
Re: Staying Focused-How do you do it?

The question is do you really want to make it just like the reference?
Or do you want to change it into something else?
If it is the former take more breaks and compare more often.
If it is the second then go with the flow and make it your own!

Dianna

C and C always welcome.
My DeviantArt Gallery http://dianna-art.deviantart.com/gallery/
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-20-2017, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talisman
The question is do you really want to make it just like the reference?
Or do you want to change it into something else?
If it is the former take more breaks and compare more often.
If it is the second then go with the flow and make it your own!

Very good question and one that I ask myself ALOT. The piece I was working on the other night I wasn't trying to make it just like the reference, I was using the reference more to the colors close and the shape close. When I backed away finally I realized that it had morphed into something that wasn't close either in color or in shape but I didn't see it while I was in auto pilot mode.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2017, 08:11 AM
A WC! Legend

It's good to back away from it! take a picture of it and see what it looks like as a thumbnail in terms of values and shapes..
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2017, 08:19 AM
WC! Guide

Hails from United States

What do you mean by mistake?

To me it's a mistake if the composition is ruined: too symmetrical, eye cannot navigate the painting, too many cloned shapes, equidistant shapes, It's also a mistake if the colors don't work together, insufficient contrast, poor balance between warm and cool colors. Too many sharp angles are also mistakes as are hard edges where they should be soft and unintended suggestions of faces, figures or animals.

I step back from the easel often to check progress and look for errors as described above.

Final product doesn't resemble reference? Don't care.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumblefingers
What do you mean by mistake?

Colors being way off. Sizes of objects getting way bigger than what they were intended on being. Proportions getting way out of whack. I need to step away more but there's times where I just get going and don't even realize I haven't stood up in two hours.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2017, 10:00 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Germany

Hails from Germany

Well, depends on what you are trying to achieve, in an abstract to paint a hand bigger or smaller no one cares...in realismo the correct proportion would be a must, a mistake would be to paint 6 fingers ...
As I understand from your definition of mistakes, you aim to depict reality. For you to get good results you have to make first a very accurate drawing, with correct proportions, positions and sizes. Then add tonality until the point it has all light and shadows correctly... If it looks like a finished drawing you may start adding paint...there are some artists that paint a shape and work from it... You need lots of experience and good eye for that..in other words:
Find a process that makes easier to get your desired results...
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2017, 10:14 AM
A WC! Legend
NYS

Hails from United States

I find that working in smaller blocks of time helps me - try setting a timer!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2017, 10:52 AM
A Local Legend

it 'flows' or it doesn't......when it doesn't flow. I quit and go up to the beach and stare at the bikinis....

come back tomorrow and see how it goes, but, when it is flowing, I just keep letting it pour out...sometimes 12-16 hours at a time....
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2017, 10:52 AM
A WC! Legend
Manitoba, Canada

Hails from Canada

I find the more I plan ahead the better off I'll be later. If I want certain things to be correct I will start with a good outline on a piece of paper. Get stuff like proportions and perspective figured out first.

The reason I use paper is so that I can paint a background before putting the outline on it and avoid dealing with having a grid on my painting if I use one. I have both black and white graphite paper for transferring.

Having a reference also helps in planning your colours, even if you want to change them, it can still act as a guide.

mkmcreations.com
Every painting is a new adventure.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2017, 12:03 PM
Texas

Hails from United States

Agree with those who say, when you start getting discouraged, back away, take a break. And then stare, analyze. What you need to do will come apparent, even if in a day or so. Having a friend take a look at it can help, too, depending on your friends. I also like to make a b & w of the source, to check the values I have been using. And, frankly, I don't care if it is different than the ref. Different is good.

My dA page:http://attalus.deviantart.com/
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2017, 06:07 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

Are you sure they're 'mistakes' or is your inner muse really wanting something diferent - getting carried aaway is not necessarily bad!

BUT - plan more from the beginning, starting with thinking a lot!

Decide whether it should be worked all over at each stage - or whether you're better working an area at a time, smaller blocks ...... some like to work that way, others in complete, all-over stages.

If something seems 'off', try looking at it in a mirror - that can often point out the error! ..... or, as May suggests, take a photo - then look at it on screen ..... seeing the 'whole' can helps see the errors!

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My saa website**
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2017, 09:23 PM
WC! Guide

Hails from United States

Yes, plan. If a detailed drawing helps you so, by all means do them. However, it is not the only approach to realistic painting. There are numerous videos and books that illustrate other methods.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-22-2017, 03:43 AM
WC! Guide
In the heart of The Pearl (Portland OR)

Hails from United States

I love it when the painting takes over for itself. I've learned to appreciate when it evolves on its own.