WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Think Tank > Creativity
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2017, 09:07 PM

Running In Circles

I have this problem which is difficult to explain but I'm gonna try anyway. Basically I don't get artists block but I get more of a queasy/anxiety feeling whenever I have to paint or draw something. It goes away most of the time after I start but it's so bad that I don't usually start.

Then, if the piece turns out well, I feel good for about 5 minutes, put it away and get really depressed and lethargic for a long while.

So basically I have some severe mental problems and would like some magical fairy to say a few words and cure me.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2017, 03:07 AM
A Local Legend
Pembrokeshire. West Wales UK

Hails from Wales
Re: Running In Circles

Go down quietly into the woods and paint and if you are lucky the fairies will find you and look over your shoulder whispering encouragement in your ear while you paint.
Try to ignore the goblins they will play tricks on you.

Dave.
“What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families shopping at night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!—and you, Garcia Lorca, what were you doing down by the watermelons?”
— Allen Ginsberg
Are you ready for a Journey?
PS Critiques always welcome but no plaudits or emoting please.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman
Go down quietly into the woods and paint and if you are lucky the fairies will find you and look over your shoulder whispering encouragement in your ear while you paint.
Try to ignore the goblins they will play tricks on you.

Dave.

Thanks Dave, I actually did go out into the woods after writing that. Didn't bring art supplies though...
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2017, 02:38 AM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada

too much pressure
many artists do this - expect perfection every time
stop that.

consider gesture drawing - big paper stuck to a big wall - big strokes (charcoal works well for this) - loosen up, be free with it, there is no wrong way to gesture - straight or curve, short or long, jagged or spiky or dotty or streaky - close your eyes and simply gesture.

stand back and imagine things within the gesture drawing, find things and enjoy the process of looking, seeing little glimmers of potential realities within it.
add another color [charcoal or crayon or chalk or pen or marker]
or not

do it again

save them or don't ... paint on them or don't - they are but a freeing agent to rid you of the tightness that grips, or the fears that stall, or the pre-convieved un-forgiveness we sometimes inflict on ourselves as artists.

do it again

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2017, 03:08 AM
U.S.

Hails from United States

My goodness I know EXACTLY what you mean & as la said imo it comes from expecting perfection every time sometimes the beauty in art can be found in the IMPERFECTIONS but like la said just stay loose & just know it's OK for every painting not to be perfect.. I know what you mean though especially when I'm struggling through a painting I just want to rip it to shreds & cry BUT I don't do that I take a deep breath & let it go.. walk away from it for a while & come back to it with a fresh perspective.. you are not alone in feeling this way & you will do just fine my friend.. best of luck to you !
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-19-2017, 03:32 PM

I don't care one bit about perfection. Most of my art looks like those serial killer wall scribbles that you may have seen on tv. My entire art style is heavy on gesture and I even practice gesture drawings daily.

I do, however, put alot of pressure on myself because if I didn't, who would? If anything I need more pressure to draw and less pressure in other aspects of my life.