Home Forums Explore Media Acrylics Another Important Issue For Acrylics

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    aspenman

Now that quality has been beaten to death – another issue just as important as quality if not MORE SO. How many acrylic artists who DO NOT use glass or plexi to cover their works if framed, actually take the time to put on 1 or 2 isolation coats and 1 or 2 coats of varnish? If you do use isolation and varnish do you use gloss – or ????????

Push comes to shove if you do use cheap craft acrylics, your salvation could be found in the isolation and varnish coats.

J.RichardSecor - Art is not a matter of fact - it is a matter of opinion C&C's welcomed

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5w1OMK2OL8mdUZUXZbMj3Q
        http://painterofthesouthwest.blogspot.com/

Mz_Sketch_Pad

yes varnish and glass are my friends
            i treat my works like watercolors

SEE MY PAINTINGS

My Portfolio:JOYFUL ART

aspenman

Interesting you would use both varnish & glass. Is the varnish removable? Have you ever looked into an isolation coat?

J.RichardSecor - Art is not a matter of fact - it is a matter of opinion C&C's welcomed

MrsG_SoCal

I always use a varnish (I prefer gloss), but under glass only if the painting is on paper.

My website here.

Raymo

I never varnish. I did buy a can of spray matte finish varnish and tested it on a painting I didnt really give a dang about. I couldnt tell any difference. Well, maybe an even sheen.

ArtistPete

[B] – [/B]

[B]Push comes to shove if you do use cheap craft acrylics, your salvation could be found in the isolation and varnish coats.[/B]

Salvation? You don’t give up do ya?

My “salvation” is USING craft liquid acrylics before sealing. I think they are better than the expensive toothpaste acrylics in my applications.
                            I use 2 coats of an acrylic sealer or Krylon gloss but most commonly the matte finish clear non-yellowing sealer.

15 y.o. paintings of mine on masonite, canvas and metal look the same as the day I painted them.

I use glass some of the time too–framed feather painting for example.

artrookie

I use gloss medium as an isolation coat, then one two coats of varnish, usually satin.

Jerry

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. [FONT="Georgia"][FONT="Book Antiqua"][FONT="Georgia"][FONT="Arial Narrow"]unknown.

aspenman

Salvation? You don’t give up do ya?

My “salvation” is [B]USING[/B] craft liquid acrylics before sealing. I think they are better than the expensive toothpaste acrylics in my applications.
                                    I use 2 coats of an acrylic sealer or Krylon gloss but most commonly the matte finish clear non-yellowing sealer.

15 y.o. paintings of mine on masonite, canvas and metal look the same as the day I painted them.

I use glass some of the time too–framed feather painting for example.

I don’t give up – it sounds like you don’t give up. I’m not talking about what kind of acrylics one uses, I’m merely saying an isolation coat and varnish will protect ALL acrylics from most all the elements. If I use professional acrylics and professional substrates (by professional I mean TESTED AND PROVEN EFFECTIVE), that is my choice and I’ve already agreed that if other acrylics work for you then go with them Bro. Give it up – we are all entitled to our opinion of what works best for each of us! The acrylics you use are effective in YOUR APPLICATION ( I’m quoting you) and the ones I use are effective in MY APLICATION – so we are both happy – let it rest!
                                    Glad to hear you seal some of your work – that is good protection for ALL acrylics. I put on 1 or two gloss isolation coats and 1 or 2 coats of gloss varnish. I must admit I sometimes skip the varnish as I tend to think it is over kill to a degree. I do not use any glass at all. After 15 years of watercolor, I’m not a fan of glass – I think it detracts from the painting.

ArtistPete

First:

[B][SIZE=4][SIZE=2]….[/SIZE]if you do use cheap craft acrylics, your salvation[/SIZE] could be found in the isolation and varnish coats.[/B]

Then:

[B]I’m not talking about what kind of acrylics one uses[/B]

just pointing out what you indeed said…..bro.

OkeeKat

Hi Dick!
                                            Ok. I dont use any isolation coats between layers of paint as some do.. but when my painting is done.. I do spray it lightly with a matt acrylic spray fixative.. then when that is dry. within 1hr.. I use varnish to seal the painting.. I use Liquitex gloss varnish and medium 1/4 and 3/4 of Liquitex Matt Varnish. It leaves a sligh sheen but not realy shinny that lights reflect off it like it would if it was all gloss and hanging there..looking at an angle it will glare and that makes it harder for folks to find a nice place to put it on walls.. and then if too shiny you cant see it from angles with glare.
                                            I use 3-4 coats of this mix.. each coat going different direction with few hrs dry time in between.
                                            I spray varnish first s on a few paintings no matter how long it dried.. even using a foam brush to apply the varnish It kinda took a tint of color into the whites and visa versa.. so had to refix too many, so now spray it first to fix it and then the liquid after.
                                            I have on occasion gone back and touched up a painting after varnishing then just revarnish it. Never had a problem.

Isolation coats.. many use inbetween when trying out a few new unsure steps. to protect the painting from the possible mistakes which wipes off easier.
                                            I have found when makeing a mistake inbetween painting, I quickly wipe the paint with a wet brush and the paint lifts off.. and the underpaint isnt bothered. but use just a wet brush and not dripping. you can dab with your finger or papertowel. to pick up the water.. but I usualy will use the clean wet brush many times to lift it all.. of course before it dries. helpful in correcting thick lines that are supposed to be thin..

using glass..
                                            Wrap canvas, canvas panel and Hardboard once framed DOES NOT Need to be behind glass.. I paint on the edges of my Staplebacked or gallerywraped canvas so Framing is optional.
                                            Painting on Canvas Paper or any other paper, Its best to matt and frame it behind glass.

If it is put behind glass it MUST BE MATTED.. so it leaves space between the glass and the acrylic painting to breathe.

Paints. Alota people have many different theories, but its all what you can afford, what you can find and how you get used to one or the other..
                                            I started with liquitex basics.. not bad but not a great quality.
                                            I took a few lessons from a local artist/teacher and she used the Liquitex heavy body, which I soon switched to when mine became empty.
                                            Love it, they are thick but put out sm amts and thin it with ONLY water. NOTHING else.
                                            Always seal your paintings no matter what they are.. elements, dust light air etc.. have an effect over time on your painting and the Paper will over time start to deterioate.. so it protect it and makes it last longer.

Hope that helps.. any other questions if I confused you feel free to send me a PM!

~*~Kathie[/COLOR]~*~
                                            Fine Art by Papasso ~ "Herd of Cows" Paintings ~ [/B][/I][/COLOR]MyDeviantArt ~ Facebook

aspenman

Kathie – your approach is very good and provides some good protection. Instead of matting, you could use spacers which come in 1/8 and 1/4 inch widths. They glue down onto the glass and provide the air space needed.

OkeeKat

Thanks Dick for that info. Mostly now adays I use the wrap/staplebacked canvas, canvas panel or Hardboard.
                                                    I have a few on hardboard that are framed with NO Glass and are a yr and half old and holding up well.. dont have any much older then that as started painting 2/08. thanks for the tip… will keep it in mind!

~*~Kathie[/COLOR]~*~
                                                    Fine Art by Papasso ~ "Herd of Cows" Paintings ~ [/B][/I][/COLOR]MyDeviantArt ~ Facebook

aspenman

ArtistPete – you indeed have quoted me correctly – and indeed I do consider craft paint inferior for MY application (and I make no apology for that as it is MY CHOICE) a point you seem to ignore, while only understanding YOUR application.

Most of my painting is done with a palette knife and a large portion of that is done on 48 x 30 x 1.5 gallery wrapped canvas or on Belgian Linen Panel. Hardly an application for out of the bottle craft paint. Your craft paint may very well be as good as what I call professional paint – I doubt it – but if you think so and it works for you – go crazy!

I’m not going to continue arguing these issues, as I say it is a PERSONAL CHOICE – you like craft paint – I don’t – I can’t use it for my application – I would need to use a squeeze type plastic bottle instead of a palette knife.

I love Liquitex Hard Body Acrylic and Chroma Ateliler Interactive Acrylics and as I say I paint on very large canvas – 12 ounce canvas-triple primed and also on Belgian linen again MY CHOICE.

So let’s call a truce and use what works for one another.

Like they say ask two artists a question and you’ll get three answers!

OkeeKat

Thank you Dick for that explantion and I hope Pete also will agree to let it go and end it here..yes indeed everyone does what they like and works best for them and can’t fault anyone for that. thats what makes us all different with our own styles.

~*~Kathie[/COLOR]~*~

ArtistPete

Hey, I’m good. Just not gonna let someone disrespect someone else’s choice in paint.

Truce.:thumbsup:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 62 total)
                                                              • The topic ‘Another Important Issue For Acrylics’ is closed to new replies.