WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Composition and Design
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2015, 08:01 PM

Hails from Spain
Re: To all my artist friends

What this painting aims to do.

It is only when you have been painting for
quite some time that you will begin to re-
alize that your compositions seem to lack
impact-- that they are too ordinary.
That is when you will start to break all the
so-called rules of composition and to
think in terms of design.
Then you can distort shapes, invent forms,
and be in your way towards being a cre-
ative artist.

J. Baldessary

Last edited by lpylmqlp : 02-23-2015 at 08:07 PM.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-26-2015, 05:45 PM
A Local Legend
Joshua Tree, California

Hails from United States

I haven't been checking this thread and didn't know what turn it took and am glad to find that it took the turn it did! I love to talk about composition and love learning more about it - as much as I possibly can - so I am now going to invest in the books that have been mentioned in this thread. Thank you!

I have always used my intuition for composition. I have not learned from a teacher or any books, but just from looking at lots and lots of art, which I consider a great teaching tool in and of itself.

When I originally think of an artwork I would like to do, composition is the first thing I am thinking about, even before the subject or anything else. I had never even thought of "thinking in terms of design" before, but I suppose that is what it is. I wonder what the difference between composition and design actually is?

Someone earlier mentioned the type of story someone would want to read about an artist and I found that it was interesting that it would be about a successful artist. I agree with this, but I wonder if an artist that had a sad story in the first place and then became successful along the way could also be interesting. I wonder this because I have been working on a book for the last (almost) five years now and it is about my own story from childhood up until around age 40 (I'm older than that now) but 40 was really a significant year to end it because so much "success" happened for me by then.

I often wonder, well, have wondered throughout this entire endeavor, if anyone will ever be interested in this story. The childhood part is kind of unbelievable (it's kind of horrendous), and then I was a DIY young person and made something of myself through a lot of hard work and thought I would share how I did everything. Much of it isn't anything they teach in art school, as I have found out through every single one of my college friends. I wound up having to give workshops on how to get artists' portfolios in order and get themselves out there, etc.

I also had much success in the music industry and there are a bunch of dumb celebrity connections that perhaps the average Joe could be "wowed" about in the story, and then there is a major area of the story that has to do with a rather big, controversial organization that I can't really reveal until the book comes out and that part is probably the number one reason it's getting published - but that's not what I'm worried/wondering about. I am mainly wondering from an artist's point of view if it would be an interesting "survival" story, or if that sort of story is appealing to artists at all since my main purpose for writing it is to help others.

Well, I should say, my main purpose to publish it is to help others. Writing it is a pretty personal, therapeutic sort of process, much like painting.

I don't know how I got onto the book when I wanted to talk about composition and the difference between composition and design. I still want to talk about that. Sorry for the further derailing.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-27-2015, 12:32 PM
Enthusiast

The two, design and composition, are interlinked. You design (a process) a composition, (the layout or arrangement), for a painting.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-27-2015, 01:38 PM
Enthusiast
Napa Valley, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayakar
To all artist friends,
Almost I have come close to stop doing painting after 45 years working on it, excluding on and off breaks. Now I am sixty four years old. I want to share some of these things with you, because of the love you showed me all these years.
Tail piece: Yes. There is so much talk in the history about artists' struggle for survival. But the problem is, history is talking only about great masters. That means they are successful people to us. Even though they felt pain, starvation, ill health in their life time, in the end they became successful, some maybe after their death. But to an art student who enters into art field, it looks glamorous. Because he is reading about world's greatest artists.
To an art student, starvation is not a big deal, to attain that status. But after a few years, he would realise that starvation is not a glamorous thing. This world has only a few great masters.
By the time the artist realises this truth, it would be too late for him ...

You are not alone in this. As La said, everyone has to figure out how they're going to balance the making of art with making a living. It's not the easiest path in the world, because most of us creative people don't think in business terms. I've learned a lot from other artists online, beginning in art business forums, including the one here at WC. I can highly recommend it, and I wish you all the best with your art-and-writing business journey.

Wishing you all the best,
Karen
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-06-2015, 09:20 PM
Montreal, Quebec Canada

Hails from Canada

La, I was inspired by your work, I love painting the figure, but since I haven't painted for a while and found your work interesting. Figures are used for their abstract values, but there is a sense of story, and a good sense of composition.

Last edited by swan : 07-06-2015 at 09:24 PM.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-23-2015, 07:40 PM
A WC! Legend
Lenexa, Kansas, USA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpylmqlp
What this painting aims to do.

It is only when you have been painting for
quite some time that you will begin to re-
alize that your compositions seem to lack
impact-- that they are too ordinary.
That is when you will start to break all the
so-called rules of composition and to
think in terms of design.
Then you can distort shapes, invent forms,
and be in your way towards being a cre-
ative artist.

The only "rule" of composition to which I adhere (and, IMO, to which a visual artist must adhere) is, "no two intervals the same."

Break this one, and boring results...I don't care how "creative" you think you are.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-02-2015, 12:10 PM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada

aw, thanks swan, i'm inspired by you being inspired =)

heh, keith, a bit oversimplified, but noteworthy, none the less.

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek,Igbo(Nigeria)
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-19-2016, 04:42 AM
Greece

Hails from Greece

I think the turn this discussion took toward composition, is quite refreshing as well. Life too has it's own compossition. Struggles, surprizes, ups/downs, contrast, priorities/choices, learning/mistakes, planing/design, structure/chaos etc. these and more, as most of us know, are all shared by life and art.

I'm interested to know, how many of us see parallels in the way we approach and plan our art with the way we aproach and plan our life.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2016, 01:27 AM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada

this would be a good topic for the cafe, i'd bet a nickel there'd be a lot of parallels found.

la

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitri K
I think the turn this discussion took toward composition, is quite refreshing as well. Life too has it's own compossition. Struggles, surprizes, ups/downs, contrast, priorities/choices, learning/mistakes, planing/design, structure/chaos etc. these and more, as most of us know, are all shared by life and art.

I'm interested to know, how many of us see parallels in the way we approach and plan our art with the way we aproach and plan our life.
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek,Igbo(Nigeria)