Home Forums The Learning Center Color Theory and Mixing Blue Palette Choices

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    DMSS

I like to have two blues on my palette, usually Ultramarine Blue (PB29), and Pthalo Blue (Green Shade) (PB15:3). I think of the Pthalo Blue as Cyan. I have been toying with replacing the Pthalo Blue with Cobalt Teal (PG50). Any thoughts about doing this? I use acrylics.

--David

Pinguino

Deleted my own answer (I mis-read your question).

Patrick1

I think it’s a viable option…if you want a very bright, cyan-blue and don’t need the transparency and value range (darks) of PB15. You can still use Ultramarine Blue for a lot of mixed darks. But…Phtahlo Blue + orange yellows (especially transparent ones) makes wonderful deep, rich, natural greens…you might miss that.

DMSS

I think it’s a viable option…if you want a very bright, cyan-blue and don’t need the transparency and value range (darks) of PB15. You can still use Ultramarine Blue for a lot of mixed darks. But…Phtahlo Blue + orange yellows (especially transparent ones) makes wonderful deep, rich, natural greens…you might miss that.

If I do need the Pthalo Blue, it will be within arm’s reach, so I can always use it, too. Good point about the transparency. I think I am going to try the Cobalt Teal on my next painting.

--David

Delofasht

I would opt to replace Ultramarine personally, but as Patrick points out, it is really about whether you utilize the lovely dark greens you can get by mixing Phthalo with yellow orange paints. Ultimately, it is a stylistic choice here.

Ultramarine hue can somewhat be achieved by adding a rose paint to Phthalo blue. In acrylics this is the main focus, since the texture of the paint tends to not play a major part in how the paint functions.

- Delo Delofasht
                        Richard P

Isn’t there a question of price to think of here too? Cobalt teal is expensive compared to Ultramarine or Phthalo paints

lambentLogic

I have a teal version of PB28, which calls itself a ‘Cobalt Teal Hue’. It seems to be more transparent than the PG50 teal. I enjoy how it mixes, it is a good contrast to the pthalos in that range. Mixes a nice enough middle blue with ultramarine, but definitely lighter in deepest value than the PB15’s deepest value.

C&C welcome
                                Etsy: FineArtAnn

Hey there! I would definitely keep the ultramarine blue[/URL], not only because it’s such a beautiful pigment, but because of its rich history[/URL]. It definitely is a must have in your palette. As for the replacement, cerulean blue is a great option to have. You can use it to depict deep, bright skies. It can be mixed with light tones like titanium white to achieve the colour baby blue. Cerulean Blue is also important in painting seascapes, landscapes, and still life :thumbsup: :clap:

Anonymous

I would say that phthalo blue green shade (PB15:4 is even better) is closer to cyan than any cobalt teal.

Gigalot

Phthalo Green PG7 can easily replace any expensive Cobalt Teal.

ntl

Bill Martin considers Grumbacher Thalo Blue (PB15) a primary color in oils.
                                            I think once he wrote PB15:4 .

Maybe he’ll step in and be specific, as there are a few PB15s.

lambentLogic

Phthalo Green PG7 can easily replace any expensive Cobalt Teal.

I don’t find this to be the case for me – the inorganic, semi-opaque, weak tinting strength, light cyan gives rather different effects and mixing from the organic, high tinting strength, transparent, staining, dark cyan green. And it certainly goes on differently used straight from the tube. I’m probably more focused on the textures of paints than perhaps typical in acrylics due to favoring ink/watercolor style.

Of course, I’m currently using both in acrylics (well, either PG7 or PB16 teal depending on painting) … they work well together partly because the hue of the cobalt teal is so similar to either pthalo, so if hue’s your only consideration PG7 plus titanium white can get pretty cold, and PG7 to Ultramarine mixes some fair blues and teals.

C&C welcome
                                                Etsy: FineArtAnn

Gigalot

Don’t forget Indantrene Blue PB60. This color is incredible blue!

ronsu18

here’s illustrations to PB60/PG7/PB15:3 for quick reference. they’re a bit dark, the tray is bright white in the corners so calibrate your eyes accordingly.

i have phthalo and indanthrene on my wc palette. as always, your choices depend on the other favourites you aim to mix with.

phthalo mixed with indanthrene to the left, the indanthrene alone on the right in the darkest blob

[ATTACH]868124[/ATTACH]

the company they keep (for landscapes & inky oddsicles, never mind the two greens)
                                                        observe the azure is a mix

[ATTACH]868125[/ATTACH]

a really good stain photographed&saved but skimping on the red spectrum, there’s a whiff of purple in the middle if you can find it.

[ATTACH]868127[/ATTACH]

C&C welcome

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.