Home Forums Explore Subjects Illustration Pointers please: recreating 1950s-style cartoon backgrounds (Hanna Barbera, etc)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    cedronella

Hello friends, I haven’t posted here in five years! I have started doing animated music videos (for my own Yiddish theater song cds) and find I want to try the paper-frisket sponge techniques used in Yogi Bear, Gerald McBoing Boing, Rocky & Bullwinkle style cartoons of the 1950s and early 1960s. I have a roll of something similar to paper frisket but am finding it oddly difficult to get started. Anybody doing this? Any suggestions? Thanks, Jane

Andrew

As an animation junkie I can say there are some excellent resources available. There is a current resurgence in “old school” animation.

The Animation Book

The Animator’s Survival Guide – My personal favorite

Animated Life – this one came recommended to me, but I haven’t read it.

There is also a book by Christopher Hart that covers classical animation, and one by White, whose first name I cannot recall, that is a good intro to basic non-computer animation techniques.

Good Luck!

Andrew

"Never ascribe to malice what adequately can be explained as stupidity"
            - Robert J. Hanlon

“What a genius, that Picasso. It is a pity he doesn't paint.” - Marc Chagall

kumbionics

This is a very old post and you’ve likely figured it out, but this is a great place to start.
                http://johnkstuff.blogspot.com/2006/12/color-theory-art-lozzi-explains-some.html?m=1

M.L. Schaefer

Welcome to Wet Canvas!!!! Very nice to meet you!!!

So, I looked up Paper Frisket on the Net, and found numerous articles about it, many are from Wet Canvas sources. You can look it up on the net too (easiest way to find articles that may help you), or, one Forum, Airbrush Art, may have some information since they use Paper Frisket a LOT!

We have one of our watercolor artists use animation, it is so much fun to watch his stories play out!

Much luck! If you have any questions, please let us know. We are a bunch of helpful folk here! :)

Margarete

P.S. For FUN…watch this! (Our Watercolor Friend’s)

https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=547257&referrerid=134492

When he, the Spirit of truth is come...he will be your Guide... Holy Bible (Old and New Testament)
                    Under the Concrete are Flowers Yet to be Born...from a Chilean Poem

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
                  • The topic ‘Pointers please: recreating 1950s-style cartoon backgrounds (Hanna Barbera, etc)’ is closed to new replies.