Home Forums Explore Media Colored Pencil Polychromos versus Caran d’ache Luminance

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    JulieALHArt

Hello

I’m so undecided whether to go for Polychromos or Caran d’ache Luminance. I am currently using Prismacolors but I’m finding them a bit too waxy and can’t seem to get really fine detail. Also, they seem to really wear down very quickly and needing an awful lot of sharpening. I mainly want to concentrate on doing birds and wildlife. Any advice would be great. Many thanks. If there’s a delay in responding, I’m in the UK. :)

SNash676

Polychromos vs Luminance

I haven’t used Luminance but I did watch the video above. I plan to buy a white, grey lavender and a few other pastel colors of Luminance to use with my polychromos as soon as I can afford it. My experience is polychromos work well when you want to make many layers and blend with a solvent. They feel a little like pastels at times.

Hope that helps.

Susan Nash

katwalk

If you have the budget I suggest you get both, the Polychromos are oil based and fairly transparent, so it takes layers to build up color/depth, I have found I like to layer down a layer of wax based color first then go with the Polychromos. Right now I am mainly using various Derwents but I am buying Luminance to use, but Luminance are so expensive here in the States that I am not sure I would want to use them exclusively.

As for which you would prefer, if you can get some open stock to try, or perhaps a couple of the smaller sets so you can try them out to see which you prefer to use that might be your best approach. Everyone has different likes and it is really hard to tell someone which they would prefer.

Geoff

Given a choice between the two, I would choose the Polychromos. I find that the caran d arches are very expensive in the uk, compared to the polys. I find the lay down of colour excellent. I don’t think the caran d arche judtify the extra expense.

Www.facebook.com/geofffielding

Fuchur

Price wise the Caran d’Ache are pretty much double the cost of Polychromos. Here in Germany you pay 1.85€ per Polychromos and 3.70€ per Caran d’Ache, so it does get very expensive. Caran d’Ache also are wax based. I have a good few of them, but to be honest, the only pencil I actually use is the purple for the main reason that none of the Polychromos purples are of the highest lightfast rating. I very much prefer the oil based Polychromos, maybe because I started out with them and got used to them. Caran d’Ache are much creamier and I have to sharpen them more often than Polychromos. And I also noticed that they tend to develop a very thin waxy shimmery layer when used a lot in one area which I am not used from the Polychromos. I don’t think it’s waxbloom, though.
                        The Caran d’Ache white is much more opaque than the Polychromos white. The Polychromos white is pretty much useless unless, I think, you burnish. However, the Caran d’Ache white can only do so much, so don’t expect miracles.
                        I mainly draw people, so I don’t know about the best pencils for wild life.

"Hope" is the thing with feathers -
                        That perches in the soul -
                        And sings the tune without the words -
                        And never stops - at all - (Emily Dickinson)

liltingzephyr

For wildlife, I’d probably go with the Polychromos. I have both, and I like the Luminance better (color selection, ultra smooth blending, the way they look on the paper), but the Polychromos hold a sharper point for longer, which is really nice for details on fur and feathers. Trying a few of the browns from each out open stock would probably give you the best impression of what works for you.

I love them both. I would recommend buying open stock and getting a mixture of the two brands to build up the range of colours you use. There are some rather lurid ones which I can’t imagine you’d need unless you draw a lot of parrots. Poly is quite weak on the natural and pastel colours where luminance is stronger. I’d also get the caran d’ache pablos open stock as well which again have colours the other two don’t. The poly greys are lovely. There is a beautiful grey/purple in the luminance. All three work well together and hold good points. To add to the confusion I had to go to the Lyra Rembrandt to get a pale blue I liked. ……I think my lesson from this is that I need to get better at mixing my colours…….

Ambergris

I was playing with whites today, and found Prisma the strongest.

yogi_

I’m sorry to divert this thread a little but I hope it’s relevant.

I remember looking at a fantasy supplies thread, which I can’t seem to find at the moment.

I totally understand that “best” is a relative term and even then it can depend on multiple other factors but do you think there would ever be a need for an art store to have an open stock display made up of the best individual CPs (as determined by people like you)? So, the white of brand A, the pastels of brand B, the brown of Brand C, etc etc. all placed together.

Would you need to have a seperate wax and oil based displays? Are people just better off buying sets? Or do people just tend to find their own way?

I’m sorry to divert this thread a little but I hope it’s relevant.

I remember looking at a fantasy supplies thread, which I can’t seem to find at the moment.

I totally understand that “best” is a relative term and even then it can depend on multiple other factors but do you think there would ever be a need for an art store to have an open stock display made up of the best individual CPs (as determined by people like you)? So, the white of brand A, the pastels of brand B, the brown of Brand C, etc etc. all placed together.

Would you need to have a seperate wax and oil based displays? Are people just better off buying sets? Or do people just tend to find their own way?

That is something completely arbitrary and up to each one’s taste, so its impossible. Some people like wax based pencils, I hate them, some people think koh-i-noor are low quality pencils, I consider them the best ones I have ever used.

Each person will have its own way. I have a problem of wanting more and MORE and wanting to have all the colors so I buy sets, but more sane people can be more sane.

"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"

Ambergris

That is something completely arbitrary and up to each one’s taste, so its impossible. Some people like wax based pencils, I hate them, some people think koh-i-noor are low quality pencils, I consider them the best ones I have ever used.

Each person will have its own way. I have a problem of wanting more and MORE and wanting to have all the colors so I buy sets, but more sane people can be more sane.

Which Koh-i-noor are you using, and what advantages are so compelling?
                                        I have the woodless, and some are good, some not. The white is useful only for blending.

Which Koh-i-noor are you using, and what advantages are so compelling?
                                        I have the woodless, and some are good, some not. The white is useful only for blending.

I use the polycolors. I like their softness and with exception of very dark blue and very dark red they have a great range of colors while being cheap (that helps a lot when you are drawing huge areas that eat pencils like mad). Some of their pencils colors are opaque and others are very transparent, you need to check each one to discover.

ohh i almost forgot.. they are completely erasable so you can draw with the exact same techniques as graphite.

"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"

SNash676

I finally got some of the Luminance pencils and they are really nice – I got very light colors like Sepia 10% and umber 10% and white. They are definitely softer than the polychromos but I like them both.

Susan Nash

whitmire

great information

Darren

I primarily use Polychromos and do a lot of wildlife work. They sharpen to a wonderful point, I rarely have breakage, they’re accessible and come in a larger range of the colours. That said, the Luminance are a beautiful pencil and offer some really interesting and unique colours not found anywhere else, especially in the spectrum of skin tones, so they’re brilliant for portraits.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.