Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor Watercolor Gallery animal paintings– a personal challenge

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Deborah Secor

At the beginning of January I decided to challenge myself to paint 30 animals in the month. I’ve used a lot of different media but these are among the watercolor, gouache, and watercolor pencil/crayon pieces I’ve completed. Almost all of them are in the 6×6″ range, in a sketchpad with 90 lb. paper that seems to handle water media fairly well.

You can see that I was experimenting with the w/c pencils and w/c crayons, not sure how they would work. I have to say I rather like them, even though they look a bit more drawn than painted. But I moved on to watercolor and pan gouache soon, with a little of the w/c pencils/crayons thrown in (and occasionally a fine line marker).

Fell in love with roosters! The colors and gestures of the feathers are so whimsical. The second one (just above) is a bit larger, around 5×8″.

This looks huge here–it’s on a greeting card that’s about 4×5″!

I finally managed to find that distillation of the figures that I like best, relying on the paint to do what it does well. The Weimaraner has some silver paint with a shine to it that I think serves the subject nicely.

And this last one is a return to the more impasto looking gouache, used the way I’m most familiar with, but this charming camel needed that kind of detail. After all, her eyelashes tell such a tale, don’t you think?

Well, thanks for looking and please feel free to comment. I haven’t shared here in a LONG time! :wave:

Deborah

"All glory to Him, who alone is God our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord."
        Landscape Painting in Pastels (free online book)
        Gouache Blog

jonc50

Your well on your way to your goal!

KiwiKate

Wow — they’re all excellent! Thanks so much for sharing.

Kate
                Henderson, Nevada
                C&C always welcomed!

"Never ruin a good day by thinking about a bad yesterday". -- Anon.

Deborah Secor

Thanks Jon and Kate! I’ve been having some fun.

Deborah

Gouache Blog

davidkhoirul

Wow, these are beautiful.

FrankM

Wow! Quantity And quality are fantastic! Excellent self-motivation, Deborah.

Keep it up!
                            Frank

FrankM

ErnstG

Fantastic portraits!

Ernst

Meine Seiten - My website
                                Malen ist nicht alles im Leben - aber ohne Malen ist alles nichts!
                                Painting is not everything in life - but without painting everything is nothing!

Lovely sketches Deborah, those animals have real character.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

Deborah Secor

Thanks for your comments and encouragement, David, Frank, Ernst, and Doug!

Deborah

Gouache Blog

Love each one of these!!!

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

Deborah Secor

Thanks, Kay. You’ve seen a couple already, and there are lots more than these. Maybe they’ll pop out in “the next” thread!

Deborah

Gouache Blog

Well done Deborah!

Cheers, Lynn
                                        www.fineartamerica.com/profiles/lynn-macintyre
                                        "Ring the bells that still can ring, Forget your perfect offering, There is a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in" Leonard Cohen

Deborah Secor

:wave: Hi Lynn, and thanks!

Deborah

Gouache Blog

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.