WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Drawing and Sketching > The Classroom
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#481   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-29-2014, 02:09 PM
Edmonton, Alberta

Hails from Canada
Re: Basics 101: Class 2 - Foundation of Perspective

Hello,
I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this question. I need to seriously learn about perspective and just found this page. Can you please direct me to the starting point of the foundation of Perspective. I need to start right at the beginning. How to I join the classroom and find the lectures.. sorry to bother you, but I really need help with this. thanks for your reply.
Val
  #482   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-29-2014, 02:48 PM
A village near Antwerp

Hails from Belgium

Val -
Welcome to the classroom .
Did you skip the "Start Here!" thread?

Drawing and Sketching Forum Guide for D&S Classroom
  #483   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-29-2014, 10:07 PM
Edmonton, Alberta

Hails from Canada

Hi Arnoud,
It's that obvious is it? lol. I did skip that, as for some reason, I got right to this page first, (from google? not exactly sure) and since I haven't been to wet canvas in some time I had forgotten just how to navigate around.. Problem solved as I have read the start here thread. Thanks for your response. I'll be checking things out and hopefully this persective thing will start making some sense. I just find it so confusing, and envy people who get it right.
thanks again Arnoud.
Val
  #484   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-31-2014, 10:33 AM

Hails from Finland

Phew, been working hard on these perspective assignments. I think I got the hang of 1PP. 2PP is a lot harder but I started to grasp the idea a little bit. I realize now I could've altered my objects a bit more. The cat carrier isn't as simple as I drew it so I tried to vary it up a little by drawing a door open option as well. On the first object the pattern on the sides of the container are all over the place. I drew the object kinda small and by the time I got to doing the patterns on the sides, things got so small that I couldn't really control it any more.

The landscape image was drawn according to one of the example pictures but I changed it up a little to make it easier to understand. At first I didn't really know if I was supposed to use 1PP or 2PP but I ended up going with 1PP and making this "leaving town" sort of image to get a grasp of horizon. Towards the end I realized that my phone line poles are all over the place. I was looking at the original photo and I think I got fooled by how some of the poles stand in a leaning position. So there's a lot more to practice but I'm still rather happy how the image came out.

The shadings on these things are probably incorrect. I played around with using a vanishing point as a light source just to put more emphasis on how the vanishing point affects everything on the picture.

Also, there's a bit of a whoopsie on the first picture where I drew one box above the horizon line. Went over a line I wasn't supposed to with a black marker.

Sumo and Ninja, my personal art assistants.
You can also find me on DA.
  #485   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-31-2014, 01:42 PM
A village near Antwerp

Hails from Belgium

Well done, Minna . The perspective is mathematically correct - except of course the telegraph lines.
But we see the typical errors when people concentrate too much on the theoretical construction.
1. The nearest (lower) corner is much too sharp. It can never be sharper than 90°. Try it IRL: it is at its sharpest when looking down on it, and than it is 90°.
It is caused by putting the VP's much too close together.
2. Not enough "foreshortening", e.g. the chair. You could easily put two people on that seat.

But you did a good job on the basics, please move on to class 3 .

Drawing and Sketching Forum Guide for D&S Classroom
  #486   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-01-2014, 03:10 AM

Hails from Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnoud3272
Well done, Minna . The perspective is mathematically correct - except of course the telegraph lines.
But we see the typical errors when people concentrate too much on the theoretical construction.
1. The nearest (lower) corner is much too sharp. It can never be sharper than 90°. Try it IRL: it is at its sharpest when looking down on it, and than it is 90°.
It is caused by putting the VP's much too close together.
2. Not enough "foreshortening", e.g. the chair. You could easily put two people on that seat.

But you did a good job on the basics, please move on to class 3 .

Thank you for the tips I do have a habit of drawing things too small and I noticed the weirdness with my vanishing points. I'll need to work on that in the future.

Sumo and Ninja, my personal art assistants.
You can also find me on DA.