Home Forums Explore Subjects Still Life Jar of Buttons -maybe finished?-

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    JohnWallie

I have started to paint still lifes recently… I am thinking I will call this one finished. But I still need to get a quality photograph. For now here is a photo I took with my iPod. I call this “Jar of Buttons.”
        If you have any critique or criticisms please voice them for me below, thank you :)

Jon

It is helpful to include size and medium when seeking C&C.

It is a great composition. The orange and red sing against the electric blue. What size and is this watercolor?

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

Irishwhistler

Very nicely done.

Mike

AllisonR

Fun display of buttons. Scissors are well painted.

Balls of yarn will have “bumpy” edges where the thread is going around, not perfectly round. Your glass jar seems to be leaning to the left.

Being born places you at a greater risk of dying later in life.

http://www.artallison.com/
                    zhm

Good comments thus far. The ball of yarn seems a bit flat. I can see that you have rendered it round using light and shadow but I think it would be stronger if you emphasized the highlight on it and gradation it to the background. Rounded forms read better especially in low light as a soft or lost edge.

Very nice work!

JohnWallie

@KcreativeK
                            Thank you. I’ve been studying composition and lighting a lot recently. The size of the canvas is 9 by 12 inches.

@Mike

@AllisonR
                            Thank you for the comments. I’m not sure if the glass jar is leaning or if I had my camera at an angle when I took the photo…

@zhm
                            You are right it may be better to blend those yarn shapes into the background…

Thank you all for the nice comments. The medium is actually acrylic on a cotton canvas.
                            I took a better quality photo with my camera recently:

Merriweather

Really lovely, you have me engaged when I started counting the buttons… Well done !

Painting is a complete distraction. I know of nothing which, without exhausting the body, more entirely absorbs the mind. Winston Churchill

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.