WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > WC Site Technical Discussions
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2019, 03:40 PM

Need Help with my path in forest painting

Hi

Help I'm on the underpainting for a painting of a forest with a path going through it and my path looks like it is going up a very steep hill. Canvas 18x24 Portrait orientation.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2019, 07:18 PM
Administrator
Western Illinois

Hails from United States
Re: Need Help with my path in forest painting

If you tell us what medium this is we can move it to the forum for that medium. That way you'll get replies from people who use that medium.

Anytime, you're not sure where to post, take a look at the forum index, on each forum listing is a description to help people choose where it's best to post.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2019, 09:51 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from Canada

Hello cambering, nice beginning!
I've divided the trail into three sections noted by the blue marks. The middle third lacks the same rate of the convergence as the other two, so reads as a plane tilted towards us (note its high VP as a result). I think a little more curve to that middle section will allow you to make it wider closer, narrow further away to match the convergence rate of the other two trail sections ( and as a result, move that VP down to the eye level - aka horizon line.

Specifically, on the right edge of your trail, where the first section meets the second section, curve the middle section right trail edge outward through a turn from there forward and as you do, have come round, and narrow down to meet the bottom right of the top section. In this way you will increase the rate of convergence of the middle section to match the first and third section.

Cheers!

Last edited by KolinskyRed : 04-06-2019 at 10:00 PM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2019, 10:49 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Oregon

Hails from United States

Yes needs to be much wider then taper to very narrow in distance.. and a softer line as it goes out of sight , not a hard line..
Muting the colors in the distance for softer look, like more of a blue/gray for the trees in the distance will help define it as far away also..
Keep your stronger colors in the foreground..

And consider where the light might be coming from, for shadows & highlights.. a deep woods or forest trail might have darker blued shadows in the under brush and then some brighter greens along the path where the sun can come thru..

Good ref images to guide you are very helpful, but shadows often show as black in photos , but adjust that and don't make black or blah gray shadows..
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2019, 11:56 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

I think the abrupt finish of the path gives the impression of the brow of a hill.

Doug