WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Studio Tips and Framing > Framing Discussions
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-23-2012, 12:01 PM
Cazenovia, NY

Hails from United States
Framing 2" deep cradled Gesso Board

I ordered an Ampersand Gesso board 30x40" with 2" thick cradling. It is for a commission and the client wants it framed. I am worried about finding a frame with a deep enough rabbet. I don't mind if the painting sticks out a little from the back, but 2 inches is a lot. I thought another possibility might be to take the board to a carpenter and have the cradle trimmed down to maybe an inch before I get started. Any thoughts?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2012, 01:22 PM
Edwardsburg, MI

Hails from United States
Re: Framing 2" deep cradled Gesso Board

2" is pretty deep, but as a custom framer I have a number of mouldings that can accommodate that depth if you want the moulding to be flush with the back of the panel. If you are willing to have the panel protrude then there are any number of mouldings that will work.

Much depends on where the work will hang and the profile of the moulding. If it hangs in an alcove or some other environment where it is not viewed so much from the side then the painting can stick out the back more... an inch or so shouldn't be a problem. If it is in a hallway, then you need it fairly flush.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 02:06 PM
Veteran Member
Genelle, BC

Hails from Canada

I've seen floater frames that will take 1 1/2" canvas. Would a floater work if you could find the size?

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 06:37 PM
Cazenovia, NY

Hails from United States

NRC- The painting is going to be in a very traditional setting, so a floater frame wouldn't be appropriate in my opinion. DaveMak- Thanks for your input, I think a moulding with at least a 1" deep rabbet will work.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-23-2012, 08:24 PM

I get my frames at AC Moore. On sale. I saw some there that could give you some ideas. But, also, custom millwork isn't that expensive. I have a nice spot down the street from me, and they have given me ideas about framing. I haven't used them, yet, but depending upon the look you're going for, a millwork place might be able to help you.