Home Forums The Learning Center Color Theory and Mixing J. Blundell’s Bright 6-Color Palette: Thoughts?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Bastet469

Hey,
        I came across an interesting 6-color mixing palette designed by watercolorist Jane Blundell and posted on her blog back in October of 2015. I’ve always been a dual primary & 2 earths girl myself but this one intrigued me. Using Daniel Smith brand watercolors, Jane’s palette is comprised of Hansa Yellow Medium (PY97), Transparent Pyrrol Orange (PO71), Pyrrole Crimson (PR264), Ultramarine Blue (PB29), Dioxazine Violet (PV23) and Phthalo Green Blue Shade (PG7).

I’ve never seen a mixing palette that included green, orange & purple. The colors used also seem to address the main problem I have with CMY palettes: the limited ranges of purples, yellows and the lack of a bright orange. Moreover, I was impressed at the extensive color range that could be created with it despite the lack of an earth color. However, not including at least one earth tone, like Burnt Sienna concerns me a bit.

Regardless, it’s got me reconsidering my palette choices. What do you guys think about the palette? Has anyone out there tried it? How do you guys think it compares to other limited palettes like the dual/split primary palette I use?

Thanks,
        wendy

:clap: BY THE WAY…..Those of you who are just now hearing about Jane, go check out her blog[/URL] and website[/URL]. She’s got charts and swatches for days!! She’s even got a book of charts for sale!! Whether you work in watercolor or not (I don’t), there’s tons of great color info on her sites and in her book that everybody can use.

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"I like kids' work more than work by real artists any day."
        -Jean-Michel Basquiat [FONT=Palatino Linotype]
        Boy and Dog in a Johnnypump

kinasi

I paint in oils not watercolor. But just because someone can recreate earths by mixing, doesn’t mean they can do it with any consistency. Nor can they recreate the characteristics of those paints.

While some would argue using earths is “convencience”.. let’s be honest, it’s also easier to just have the paints there on your palette.

Recreating Yellow Ochre from Hansa Yellow and Ultramarine is not something people do with any consistency or speed, simply because of how much adjustment is needed and how strong those opposing colors are. You’ll be adding red, and white…by the time you have your yellow ochre, someone else will have finished their painting.

Basically, it’s a pain in the ass and a waste of time for most people who just want to paint.

Just because your palette has a high gamut, doesn’t mean it’s easy to use.

One has to wonder how many hours she spent on those swatches.

kinasi

I tried to recreate yellow ochre with a limited palette that is similar.

Ultramarine, Pyrrole red, Hansa Yellow and Titanium white.

I wasted 57 seconds just to get to Yellow Ochre. If I had to mix every earth myself, I would be wasting a lot of time mixing instead of painting.

And the color doesn’t have the same characteristics as an actual yellow ochre either, you can see the red and yellow pigment I used come through the immitation when it’s thinly applied.

Mythrill

I wasted 57 seconds just to get to Yellow Ochre. If I had to mix every earth myself, I would be wasting a lot of time mixing instead of painting.

And the color doesn’t have the same characteristics as an actual yellow ochre either, you can see the red and yellow pigment I used come through the immitation when it’s thinly applied.

[IMG]http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/16-May-2016/1558522-sfsfsfsf.JPG[/IMG]

You can get a slightly more convincing hue by mixing black, red, yellow and a touch (only a tiny amount) of black. It’ll be slightly cooler than the hue you got and less garish, but still not quite there (e.g, actually Yellow Ochre tints beautifully).

Mythrill

Regardless, it’s got me reconsidering my palette choices. What do you guys think about the palette? Has anyone out there tried it? How do you guys think it compares to other limited palettes like the dual/split primary palette I use?

Thanks,
                        wendy

Wendy, Jane regularly posts here (as Quinacridone Gold). :)

The palette she suggests should indeed be much better than a regular CMY palette because it has a wider mixing range, and is more intuitive to use. I’ve been arguing myself about how useful a blue-green in your palette can be – particularly, to mix colors around the teal/turquoise gamut, which a regular CMY palette just can’t mix properly. But I don’t know if Jane added green to her palette for that reason (Jane, are you around?).

Of course, nothing is set in stone. If you want to add an ochre to your palette (or even a whole set of ochres), go ahead! If you’re short on money and want more “bang for your buck”, get Transparent Yellow Iron Oxide (PY 42). It should be quite useful and with very high tinting strength.

Wendy, Jane regularly posts here (as [I]Quinacridone Gold[/I]). :)

The palette she suggests should indeed be much better than a regular CMY palette because it has a wider mixing range, and is more intuitive to use. I’ve been arguing myself about how useful a blue-green in your palette can be – particularly, to mix colors around the teal/turquoise gamut, which a regular CMY palette just can’t mix properly. But I don’t know if Jane added green to her palette for that reason (Jane, are you around?).

Yes I’m here :-)
                        This palette was designed for someone wanting to get just 6 tubes of paint and wanting a transparent palette with no earths and no granulating colours. It’s very specific! It was designed around a number of very powerful mixing pairs. It is not a palette I would necessarily choose to paint with as I love granulating colours and earth pigments.

The green will certainly create turquoise colours when mixed with the Phthalo Blue RS, but it is also useful because it perfectly neutralises the crimson. It also makes great realistic greens with the yellow if you add a touch of crimson to warm it up.

Personally I paint with a much larger palette of colours including no less than 5 earth colours – a yellow earth ( I love Goethite for its granulation), burnt sienna, Indian red, burnt umber and raw umber – and sometimes I add a transparent red oxide, yellow ochre and raw sienna. So I am not suggesting that you don’t use earth colours. I also prefer Ultramarine blue to a phthalo blue as a basic blue pigment – it is liftable for a start, which is important in watercolour. And I like the granulation. My ‘Ultimate Mixing Palette’, about which I created a book, has 14 pigments including 3 blues, 3 reds and 4 earth pigments.

Anyway – the one above is remarkable for its strength but the smaller the number of pigments you start with, the more mixing space, colour understanding and time you need.

Happy painting :-)

Cheers, Jane

My Website
                        My Blog

opainter

Jane, I was wondering if the “blue” in this palette was Ultramarine Blue (PB29) or Phthalo Blue (RS) – the picture and the text seemed to disagree.

Thanks!

AJ (opainter)

AJ (opainter), C&C always welcome
                            :::: Helpful links for new users: User Agreement || Reference Images || C&C Suggestions || Color Theory and Mixing (color theory and color selection) || Full List of Forums
                            :::: Painting Blog with an article now and then

KeeverMacLeod

Why paint with a palette of six when you can paint with a palette of 30+?

WFMartin

I primarily paint in oils now, but when I did paint in watercolor, I found earth colors to be incredibly unhandy, because of their opacity.

Opacity works for me in oil paint, but I found that opaque colors really worked against me in watercolors. I would MUCH rather mix a “Yellow Ocher” from a transparent Yellow, such as Gamboge, and a couple of other transparent colors, than to actually place a “Yellow Ocher” on my palette.

It may be interesting to note that once I found Gamboge Nova (I think, by Holbein) I just about retired about 3 other “Yellows” on my palette. They obsoleted themselves, because I used them so little.

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
                                    https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

Bastet469

…. you can see the red and yellow pigment I used come through the immitation when it’s thinly applied.

[IMG]http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/16-May-2016/1558522-sfsfsfsf.JPG[/IMG]

Actually, I think having some of the mixing colors show through makes it more visually intetesting than the pre-fab yellow ochre. However, I’m sure there are times where that look isn’t what you want.

-wendy

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"I like kids' work more than work by real artists any day."

Bastet469

Yes I’m here :-)
                                            It was designed around a number of very powerful mixing pairs.

The neutralizing aspect of the color choices is what appeals to me about the palette. As a beginner acrylic painter, it would be nice to have the perfect complements at the ready, rather than having to guess at it.

-wendy

Jane, I was wondering if the “blue” in this palette was Ultramarine Blue (PB29) or Phthalo Blue (RS) – the picture and the text seemed to disagree.

Thanks!

AJ (opainter)

The palette I originally painted in my blog is Phthalo blue RS, which completely neutralises and is neutralised by Transparent Pyrrol Orange.
                                            (I personally prefer Ultramarine)

Cheers, Jane

My Website
                                            My Blog

Patrick1

I’ve never seen a mixing palette that included green, orange & purple. The colors used also seem to address the main problem I have with CMY palettes: the limited ranges of purples, yellows and the lack of a bright orange. Moreover, I was impressed at the extensive color range that could be created with it despite the lack of an earth color. However, not including at least one earth tone, like Burnt Sienna concerns me a bit.

I think that a palette based on complementary pairs such as this makes more sense than most palette choices. The pairing of a dark green + a transparent red or crimson makes one of the darkest possible mixed blacks. Mixing a bit of Dioxazine Purple into yellow is an awesome way to darken yellows in a slightly ‘warm’ way (even though this is not a ‘true’/neutral complementary pairing).

To include earth colors or not? For some, they are essential staple mixing colors, to others they are anything but. Choose whatever palette makes life easier for you.

Why paint with a palette of six when you can paint with a palette of 30+?

I’m with you. But for some 30+ is unaffordable. I just enjoy the challenge of exploring and playing with limited palettes. :-)

Cheers, Jane

My Website
                                                My Blog

kinasi

Actually, I think having some of the mixing colors show through makes it more visually intetesting than the pre-fab yellow ochre.

-wendy

That’s an interesting argument Wendy, one I hadn’t considered.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.