WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Photography > The Shutterbug Pub
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2012, 10:57 AM
WC! Guide
Chattanooga, TN

Hails from United States
Shutterbug Daily, Friday, April 6, 2012

This sign, done with Photomerge in PS7, was the inspiration for one of my Downtown Wanderings series of oil paintings (WIP)

They are in the process of removing the back of the building:

here's a shot of a remaining "Door To Nowhere":

This composition had several elements, but I saw the old painted sign for parking for the Ellis to be poignant, and I liked the orange barrel with the new billboard for an upcoming event to balance each other out.

and finally:

I also liked this composition, unchanged from the original pix

Life is good

Greg

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2012, 02:21 PM
A Local Legend
Edmonton AB Canada

Hails from Canada
Re: Shutterbug Daily, Friday, April 6, 2012

Good morning. Abandoned and derelict buildings do make excellent subjects for photographing. I wish more money was set aside for restoring older architecture, it would be a sin to loose part of our architectural history .
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2012, 06:27 PM
WC! Guide
Chattanooga, TN

Hails from United States

Dave- this is why I like to take as many pix as I can, you never know!!!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2012, 07:43 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
USA, on the edge of an atom

Hails from United States

Got up at 4am. Drove 125 miles to shoot 2 waterfalls south of Cleveland then down another 90 miles to Millersburg Ohio to do some Amish shots. Had lunch at a German place of course. Just got home 15 hours later. Not sure how far I will get sorting through the 400 pics I took. Lol
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2012, 07:46 PM
Western Illinois

Hails from United States

I love that first one with the frogs! I like you comp on the last ones too. All great shots.
I hope everyone has a Happy Easter!

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2012, 08:25 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from Canada

Greg - love those shots of the derelict building. All those years of service it gave...
Is that fire damage at top middle?

Dudley, that sure sounds like a long day. Looking forward to seeing the results!

I was asked to take some photographs at an art group meeting last week. Unfortunately I was feeling under the weather at the time, so it was rather hard going. I was pleased with this shot though:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ET-8c52zPT...0/IMG_2893.jpg

(OK, pleased-ish. That background lighting is pretty horrible. It was difficult circumstances...)

All the best,
James.

Last edited by eeJamesK : 04-06-2012 at 08:27 PM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2012, 08:28 PM
Sterling Heights, Michigan

Hails from United States

Virginia, A great shot of the hyacinth and the little bee buzzing by. This is one of my favorite smelling flowers.

Greg,
The one picture that I like is the fourth one with the orange barrel. I would have sat down on the white line in the parking lot and aimed my camera directly at the cracked up wall with the brick showing through. It is an interesting pattern and image.

There are many interesting things going on in the photos you shared. The DOOR TO NOWHERE has lots of potential.

Dudley,
I'll be back to check to see some of those photos you took. How exciting. I don't take pictures of the Amish that live in the area where we have our summer trailer. They have requested that we not take pictures of them. I do have this photo of some Amish that I spotted in Florida. These are not the same "sect" as the ones we have here in midwest Michigan. Our Amish use no electricity and strictly use horse and buggies for transportation. Their fashion is also different, they use no buttons on their clothing and men and woman are strictly dressed in shades of blue/dark blue, no other color.

"What we do during our working hours determines what we have; what we do during our leisure hours determines what we are. " - George Eastman
Nikon D5100, 16-300mm Tamron lens, Tamron 90mm Macro lens
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2012, 12:06 AM
WC! Guide
Chattanooga, TN

Hails from United States

So good to hear from all of you! Thanx for the kudos- I am more careful with my shots now, I feel that I owe it to you-all to show off the best of the city.

I think I did take exactly the shot you described of the cracks you described, but I wanted the oranges in the photo. Also, the Ellis has been closed for many years and I was surprised to see that parking sign still on the stucco.

VA- love the flower, the oof bee in the background was a perfect touch that mother nature threw in as a bonus.

I also don't usually take pix of people unless they are part of a crowd shot in a major public event. I have been known to walk up to interesting looking people and ask if I can do a study of them...as a photography/art / painitng student. My portraits are so poor that there is minimal chance of anyone recognizing them anyway! and I promise never to post the photo on the web- and never have posted any of those.

Perfect weather promised for the next week, looking forward to running the batteries down on the Kodaks- so much to explore and document

life is good

Greg