Home Forums The Think Tank Art History Discussions Artists and their Studios

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Coldcreation2

This thread is dedicated to artists and their studios
        (L’Atelier de l’artiste).

The artists studio is often a very personal space, and as such, much can be learned about an artist, by examining his or her inner surroundings. Artist studios are interesting because they reveal important elements of the work process. For example, many artists known to have painted en plein air, would finish paintings in their studios. Others would draw directly from nude models (in their studio), and others yet entirely from their imagination. Studios are often both a home and the hub of social life.

This is the place to post your artist studio pictures, wether it be your own, or another artists space; to discover the studios of new artists, your favorite artist, famous artists and/or those you may have previously not heard of. These are some of the most spectacular creative places in the world.

I love artists studios…

Here is a notable studio space:

Jackson Pollock studio, ca. 1950, Springs, Long Island, New York

CC

Coldcreation2
            I rather like this photograph in a perplexing yet pensive way.

Roy Lichtenstein, studio, Southampton, New York

CC

Coldcreation2
                Here’s one I found of Gustave Boulanger with two models(?). I’ve just gone through several studio photos of this very same epoch and there seems to be a striking similarity with many of them. 1. Most, if not all paintings in artists studios were framed. Today many artists wait until a piece is sold before framing it, or even more common, the artists lets the buyer frame the painting. 2. In at least 5 studios there can be observed a big cat rug (usually a tiger skin, but one or two leopard skins) decorate, adorn or embellish the artists studio spaces. I gather that back then they were not yet endangered species, but still.

Gustave Boulanger in his studio sketching, ca. 1885, unidentified photographer. Photographs of artists in their Paris studios, Archives of American Art, Smithsonian Institution.

Does anyone want to post his or her own studio space photo (with or without the artist)? Or someone else’s?

I love studio pix…

CC

Coldcreation2
                    Here are two more studio photos (Georges Clairin and Georges-Antoine Rochegrosse). See what I mean about the big-cat-skin rugs?

Georges Clairin in his studio, ca. 1885, unidentified photographer. Photographs of artists in their Paris studios, Archives of American Art, Smithsonian Institution.

Georges Rochegrosse in his studio, painting, ca. 1885, unidentified photographer. Photographs of artists in their Paris studios, Archives of American Art, Smithsonian Institution. (He also apparently collected Oil-paper umbrella’s)

CC

Sir Stanley Spencer

Adolph Weinman

Jenny Saville

Paula Rego

Left: Walter Sickert at home (1938) Right: Francis Bacon in his studio (C.1973)

Coldcreation2
                        Thanks for those photos Mark. The Lincoln sculpture looks very familiar, and I’d never seen the Jenny Saville studio before. Nice.

Here are a few of my favorites, some I’ve seen and others discovered today for the first time.

Constantin Brâncuși:

Constantin Brancusi studio

Brancusi studio c 1922, Vue d’ensemble de l’atelier avec Fernand Léger

Brancusi studio, Le Baiser, the Kiss (1923-1925), La Colonne sans fin, detruite ulterieurement, La Colonne sans fin I (v. 1925), L’Oiseau dans l’espace, marbre blanc (1925)

Constantin Brancusi studio, taillant a la scie une Colonne sans fin ca. 1924-1925

Brancusi, accroupi, taillant a la hache une Colonne sans fin ca. 1924

Brancusi, Autoportrait dans l’atelier, les Colonnes sans fin I a IV, Le Poisson

Brancusi, in his studio with Portrait de Nancy Cunard, bronze poli (1928-1932)

Brancusi, studio, Le Baiser, pilastre (v. 1919), La Colonne sans fin I (v. 1925), L’Oiseau dans l’espace, marbre blanc (1925), Colonnes du Baiser (1916-1917)

CC

Paula Rego

Helen Frankenthaler

Barbara Hepworth

Cecily Brown

Jenny Saville

Frida Kahlo

Coldcreation2

Guillaume Apollinaire assis dans l’atelier du 11 bld de Clichy, Paris, Photo by Pablo Picasso, before 1918

Picasso sur un escabeau, un pinceau à la main devant Guernica, dans l’atelier des Grands Augustins, Paris

Alberto Giacometti in his studio

Nicolas de Staël, Rue Gauguet, 14e arrondissement, Paris

Nicolas de Staël, photographer Colomb Denise (dite), Loeb Denise (1902-2004)

Andy Warhol in his studio with others

Willem de Kooning and his wife, Elaine, photograph by Hans Namuth, 1952

CC

William Merritt Chase

Enid Yandell

Charles Marion Russell

Joaquín Sorolla y Bastida

Georges-Jules-Victor Clairin

Isaac Ilyich Levitan

Albert Dorne

Howard Pyle

Harvey Dunn

George Inness

John Singer Sargent

Romare Bearden

Richard Diebenkorn

Frank Stella

Antonio López García

Maurits Cornelis Escher

Francis Bacon

Anselm Kiefer

Coldcreation2
                                Awesome Mark. I had never seen a picture of Maurits Cornelis Escher.

The following studio pictures form part of a series of postcards:

William Didier-Pouget, circa 1907 in his studio (atelier), 12 Boulevard de Clichy, Paris
                                (This image was reproduced, published, in 1907, or prior, since it is postmarked 1907, France.)

Jules-Abel Faivre in his studio-atelier circa 1907

Édouard Debat-Ponsan in his studio-atelier circa 1907

Gabriel Ferrier in his studio-atelier circa 1907

Jules-Alexandre Grün in his studio-atelier circa 1907

CC

Coldcreation2

Unidentified female artist.

Unidentified male artist.

CC

Robert Henri’s Life Drawing Class at the New York School of Art 1903–04

Life Drawing Class, National Academy, New York

Life class, The Sydney Art School, 1931

Thomas Hart Benton

Lucian Michael Freud

Coldcreation2

Wall at Pierre Bonnard’s studio (estampe japonaise) Brassaï, Halasz Gyula (1899-1984) photographer

Portrait d’André Salmon in front of “Trois femmes” by Pablo Picasso

Portrait de Clovis Sagot (de face) Paris, atelier du Bateau-Lavoir, printemps 1909, by Pablo Picasso

CC

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.