WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Southwest and Western Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2007, 06:42 PM
A WC! Legend
Corrales, New Mexico

Hails from United States
Taos icon... my vision...

Of course anyone who likes Southwestern/Western art has seen images of the famous church in Taos. This is my particular vision of it, done a couple of years ago. Some of you have already seen it since I used it as my avatar for a few months... I have posted it elsewhere on WC (pastels, I think?) but with our new forum I plead your patience as I post it once more...

'Rancho de Taos', pastel on Wallis paper, 13"x13"

C&C most welcome...

Diane
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2007, 07:33 PM
A Local Legend
High Desert, AZ.

Hails from United States
Re: Taos icon... my vision...

Diane, wonderful pastel study in geo-shapes and your palette of colors are just outstanding. I really enjoy seeing your work!
One of these days I need to take a trip next door to New Mexico and see this place. Hopefully even have time to paint it or take photo's anyway.
Kathy
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2007, 07:34 PM
Lord of the Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Cutter
Of course anyone who likes Southwestern/Western art has seen images of the famous church in Taos. This is my particular vision of it....

Diane

WoW! You certainly could have fooled me if you'd put this in a thread where people guess "what is it?" As you note, I've seen MANY photos and paintings of the back side of the old church, but never one so colorful. And as you know, color is my passion!

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2007, 11:21 PM
WC! Guide
Chattanooga, TN

Hails from United States

After first viewing your website I am even more impressed with this work. You are not an artist who creates just one type of work, and that impresses me even more. this work is ALIVE, vibrant, clean freah and vital, filling the canvas edge to edge. It pleaseth thine eyes.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-23-2007, 07:03 AM
A WC! Legend
Corrales, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Thanks for looking...

Kathy... I think a lot of my desire to slap color on things comes from the fact that, in my printmaking, I'm pretty monochromatic. Plus those boxes of pastels excite me like a young kid with a huge box of Crayolas.

Enchanted... Now, see, to me this looks just like the church!!! Seriously, when I started it I was going for something more recognizable but then my heart (and the pastel colors) took over.

Birdhs... Thank you... Your compliments make me blush, a difficult thing to do at my age. I find that different mediums make me do different things. My oils tend to be more realistic, watercolors, too... Pastels shout 'color' and printmaking screams 'design'. I used to worry about being too eclectic but over the years I finally seem to see a thread that pulls it all together and have stopped being concerned (nice to mature that way but I could do without the extra pounds and the gray hair)...

I'll post a very old 'Grand Canyon' soon if I can find the slide... Jack, you'll like that because it's not your usual canyon...

Diane

Last edited by Diane Cutter : 08-23-2007 at 07:07 AM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-23-2007, 08:57 AM
Veteran Member
New Hampshire

Hails from United States

Hot! Hot! Hot! Diane, I love the way that the sunny part of the wall is blue and the shadow red. Aren't pastels delicious?!?
Barbara

my blog: http://genericnews.blogspot.com
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-23-2007, 11:55 AM
A WC! Legend
High Desert of Idaho

Hails from United States

I miss Taos. It is such a wonderful enviornment for artists. Your colors are delicious. I have seen this church before, but never in such vibrancy.

Stone Chief Studio_____________________________
Charissa