WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Southwest and Western Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-07-2007, 08:14 AM
A WC! Legend
Corrales, New Mexico

Hails from United States
Sharing some photos... August 7-14, 2007

We all seem to have traveled quite a bit throughout the Southwest and West. I thought, if the group is up for it, a sharing of some of our photos with a bit of the history (yours or of the place) might be fun.

So I'll start. In my most recent trip to New Mexico we got over to Abo (accent on the 'o'), which is part of the Salinas Pueblo Missions National Monument in New Mexico. It's located just west of Mountainaire.

The water run area where the mission got it's water, I can just imagine people collecting water and kids playing.

This is my favorite photo from that visit, taken from inside the church ruin, looking toward the stream area.

I kept seeing movement out of the corner of my eye and, thinking it was a rattler since the signs said 'stay on path, give the rattlers a rest' (or something like that), I was a little alarmed until the creature finally popped up for a photo op.

Diane
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-07-2007, 06:55 PM
Veteran Member
New Hampshire

Hails from United States
Re: Sharing some photos... August 7-14, 2007

I'll dig up some of my old photos, too, Diane. I have hundreds; I'll see if any are worth posting. Many may be of mystery subjects, though. Plus, it could take awhile......
Barbara

my blog: http://genericnews.blogspot.com
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2007, 01:00 AM
A WC! Legend
High Desert of Idaho

Hails from United States

I'll have to look through my archives. These are really cool pics. I love the one taken through the window of the ruins.

Stone Chief Studio_____________________________
Charissa
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2007, 04:34 AM
A Local Legend
London

Hails from United Kingdom

Good idea Dianne.

I was SO PLEASED that I had a digital camera last summer. Just think I used to use 36 print films and now the skies the limit when taking photos...........I've just awarded myself 2 gigabyte card!

I was wondering if this thread could maybe focus on different states or areas in different weeks so that we get a really good sense of different places. Do you think that might be a good idea?
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2007, 06:00 AM
Veteran Member
new mexico usa

Diane--those are very nice photos. that area is the only part of new mexico i've never visited--(oh, that and mesilla valley)--but it's next on our list--especially having seen your pictures--it looks lovely! and your photos are very nicely done. thanks for posting them.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2007, 06:24 AM
A WC! Legend
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States

I've got lots of photos but will wait to post until the Mods decide how to handle Katherine T's suggestion of doing this thread by state.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2007, 07:23 AM
A Local Legend
London

Hails from United Kingdom

I'm thinking - but would love to know what others think - maybe by geographical area as well? For example Sonoran Desert, Northern California; SoCal etc. I'm only just beginning to appreciate how different Northern New Mexico is from Southern New Mexico.

What would be really excellent is if we could geotag the photos - or maybe post them to another site as well where they could be geotagged so that people can see exactly which part of the southwest they relate to.

Alternatively, if people were so minded we could even make it into a game of "Guess where...?"
...like for this one for example
...now where is this and what is it called?

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2007, 03:15 PM
South of Ft. Worth TX

Hails from United States

Great topic, Diane! I have a ton of pics of the Las Vegas Nevada area, I go there often . On my last trip this May, I took over 100 pics of the Red Rock Canyon area as I plan to do a series of paintings of horses in the canyon area one day!

Driving to Red Rock park entrance from the south hwy 160 side:

The park has a 13 mile scenic drive around the area. Several stopping points for walking the trails or climbing rocks. The area has MILES of trails to explore. One of the first stops at Calico Tanks where the red rock is:

Some more pics as you go further on the scenic drive:

The lone figure here on the left is my husband who wandered around a lot as I would trek off and dissapear taking pictures .

I really enjoy being out in Red Rock, I think it's beautiful out there.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2007, 03:18 PM
South of Ft. Worth TX

Hails from United States

Katherine T, I'm going to make a wild guess and say somewhere around Death Valley? I really don't know what the structures are, but I bet I'm going to learn!!!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2007, 08:15 PM
Lord of the Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine T

Looks to be Elephant Butte reservoir in south-central New Mexico. If it is, the photo was taken when that reservoir was at one of its historically low points.

???

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2007, 09:12 PM
A WC! Legend
Corrales, New Mexico

Hails from United States

I could swear I posted here earlier in the day... the gremlins are at work!!!... because I definitely remember typing out how very much I like the second photo, Hoss Lass, with those very red rocks at Calico Tank, a painting waiting to happen...

And my thoughts, too, that the mystery photo looks like a very dry Elephant Butte Dam, just off I-25 in New Mexico...

Diane (still puzzling over her missing post)
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2007, 11:42 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Hiking and Biking around San Diego, CA

Hails from United States

Katherine, I don't know where that photo was taken, but that looks like an old volcanic cone like they have near Amboy, CA.

I have tons of photos of the Anza-Borrego Desert State Park, but I don't have time to sift through them and have already posted a lot of them in the photography forum. Here is the reason why I go out there in summer. I haven't gone out there for this year's summer as the storms and my schedule don't seem to match.

Blog , Hubpages My New Bird Blog
Canon Digital Rebel T3, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6 Gimp, and PE 2.0
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-09-2007, 08:36 AM
Lord of the Arts

What a difference a "few miles" makes when it comes to traveling in the Enchanted Land of New Mexico.

From the 11,000 ft. elevation of the White Mountain Wilderness in the Lincoln National Forest of south-central New Mexico, above, it is a mere 20 miles (as the crow flies) to the Valley of Fires lava fields in the desert, below.

#14   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-09-2007, 11:18 AM
A WC! Legend
Corrales, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Nice photo, Enchanted, of the lava flow area. I love stopping there to photograph it but have never gotten a nice picture!

Diane
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-11-2007, 07:15 PM
A Local Legend
Northern California mountains

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine T
I'm thinking - but would love to know what others think - maybe by geographical area as well? For example Sonoran Desert, Northern California; SoCal etc. I'm only just beginning to appreciate how different Northern New Mexico is from Southern New Mexico.

What would be really excellent is if we could geotag the photos - or maybe post them to another site as well where they could be geotagged so that people can see exactly which part of the southwest they relate to.

Alternatively, if people were so minded we could even make it into a game of "Guess where...?"
...like for this one for example

This looks like Amboy, and the Amboy Crater. Amboy is know for being on Route 66 in the Mojave Desert. What is throwing me is the water? That is water? Most of the time it's dry, but they can have flash floods.