Home Forums Explore Subjects Plein Air Kim’s farm plein air

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    vhere

sketching out with friends at the weekend

The farm belongs to a fellow member of a group I belong to and is gorgeous. I sat in the shade of a barn on a beautiful warm day and decided to do a bit of architecture in pen and wash. I rarely use the fine tip pens as I like a more variable line but enjoyed using them for this. I didn’t want the line to be too intrusive, letting the watercolour do its thing :)

It’s looser than it looks – see in the details below

Such a good day with fabulous hospitality and homemade cakes and shortbread :)

This is a heck of a plein air project. Pen and wash looks so natural but I think it is about control. I think you did a great job on this complicated subject. Gary

"Painting is a verb"

vhere

thanks Gary – it certainly was complex! and yes, definitely about control or you just end up with soup! I always tell my students it isn’t about outlining and the pen must earn its keep and be there for a reason, doing a job of work. Not that I’m any expert with it, though some subjects just lend themselves to working this way. I started with brief lines in pen so I knew where things were, then colour and finally pen again, knowing now where it was needed.

English artists Sue Lewin and David Gentleman are ones who use it well, Sue L works in a very painterly way and, like me, is interested in variations in colour. David G isn’t a colourist but has a wonderful sense of underlying patterns and superb perspective. Worth looking up.

ntl

Very appealing.

tmwilliams

Superb.

Thomas

vhere

thank you both :)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.