Home Forums Explore Subjects Art Journals Landscape Practice Sketchbook

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    KaySilver

I’m very new to landscape, so I’m on a steep learning curve! Thought I’d share some of my sketches here to get a bit of feedback.

I made my A5 book using a selection of cartridge/watercolour papers (to test out). I started out sketching in ink but I soon realised the ink lines were too heavy and really don’t suit me, so I’ve abandoned the ink pen for now, and just use watercolour pencils and pans.

With bad ink lines:

Better without the ink lines I think:

Some nice potential paintings there Claudia.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

Nice sketches, Kay.

Personnally I like both styles, with and without the lines. They make the landscape look different, even if the ones with the lines mke it look more dynamic, IMHO.

Maria - Made in Portugal
        "Really I don't like human nature unless all candied over with art" - Virginia Woolf

https://womenwagepeace.org.il/en/

vhere

a good start :) keep going :)

Joan T

I like them with and without the ink lines. Both have their benefits. These are really nice. Keep them coming.

[FONT=Book Antiqua]Joan T
                [FONT=Book Antiqua]www.watercolorsbyjoan2.blogspot.com

KaySilver

Seems like maybe the ink lines aren’t as bad as I thought. Maybe I should carry on with both styles.

Here’s a couple more with the ink. Excuse my messy notes – I write to remind myself what I could do better next time.

but I soon realised the ink lines were too heavy and really don’t suit me, so I’ve abandoned the ink pen for now, and just use watercolour pencils and pans.

you can use some other ink colour not necessarily black, maybe sepia

critique is welcome
                    department of graphite
                    limited english :)

I follow the Teoh Yi Chie youtube channel. He is a wonderful sketcher, and has been experimenting with limited line and watercolour in the style of Liz Watkins.

I shows that even limited line can produce an effective sketch.

Doug

vhere

I like grey ink to sketch with, it’s more subtle.

Also my two pennyworth of advice :) is that I teach my students that the lines must earn their keep. They aren’t necessary everywhere and never outline everything.

You want the lines to gel with the colour so that it isn’t a totally isolated, separate thing. Sue Lewington does beautiful painterly line and wash that are a perfect illustration of this.

KaySilver

Thank you all for your excellent help and advice. I really appreciate the practical suggestions and guidance – the feedback is so helpful.

It seems that getting the hang of ink sketching is going to take considerable practice so I’m going to come back to that. Trying to learn a new subject genre and a new medium at the same time is too overwhelming.

I think I need to just get used to the absolute basics of landscape first – the shapes, perspective, basic composition know-how etc. I’ve never done any of this before. (I’ve mostly only done traditional botanical painting before – no background at all and very little perspective required). So I think for now I’ll just use what I’m used to – watercolour and coloured pencils.

Here’s a panorama of Penhale Sands in Cornwall. I’m quite pleased with this and felt much more comfortable using familiar media.

It’s a lovely sketch Claudia.

Doug

Your sketches are really nice.
                            I enjoy following your thread!:)

Maria - Made in Portugal
                            "Really I don't like human nature unless all candied over with art" - Virginia Woolf

https://womenwagepeace.org.il/en/

vhere

full of light and air :)

Joan T

Lovely sketch of the sands at Cornwall. You captured the feel of the grasses and the light nicely.

[FONT=Book Antiqua]Joan T
                                    [FONT=Book Antiqua]www.watercolorsbyjoan2.blogspot.com

hobbyartist87

Lovely landscapes Claudia.

Sandra

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.