WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2008, 12:18 PM
Texas

Hails from United States
#1 of "Child Goggles" collection

I've had some struggles lately. I needed surgery and my Grandma passed away suddenly. My children always bring a new perspective to life and I felt that looking through their eyes would be a good way to get through this as it always is. Life, at even the smallest level is so beautiful and delicate and my children always remind me of that. I figured I'd do a collection of pictures like this one not only for children, but for us adults who would benefit from a new perspective. Afterall, one man's snail infestation is another child's world of irredescent fairy trail makers.

I used prismacolors on 5x7 Bristol board. I'm hoping for C&C's to use while drawing my next one. Thanks!

Elizabeth
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2008, 12:41 PM
New York City

Re: #1 of "Child Goggles" collection

So sorry about your struggle lately and about the loss of your grandmother..
This is a great idea for a series and a beautiful start!!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2008, 02:02 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

I really like the idea of this, and I see you chose some difficult material to draw for most artist too. Hands are a problem for many artists. I'm not a professional artist, as some here actually are, and so the only thing I can say that might be constructive would be maybe to soften the lines in the hands, arms, and wrists. Children generally don't have many hard lines, no wrinkles in the skin yet, stress free life. . . I envy them. This also depends on how high you want the realism, I say this because I could see a series of pieces that are focused on the objects and things that their little eyes would look at. I can't remember really looking at anatomy very much as a child, but I do remember looking in great detail at sea shells, rocks, bugs, lots of bugs, and trees.

Good luck with this endeavor.

- Del
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2008, 02:12 PM
PA

Hails from United States

This is a wonderful perspective (and difficult to draw, I might add!). I have a special needs son who is a constant reminder to me that it's the simple things that really have the biggest impact, if we allow it, and really keep us grounded. I hope you share more in the series.

Save
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2008, 02:17 PM
Enthusiast
Germany

Very nice idea and the colors are fitting well, they are so bright and cheerful.

Angela
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2008, 03:36 PM
Enthusiast
Sierra foothils, California

Hails from United States

This sure takes me back to my inquisitive years. I loved snails, even have a terrarium for them for a while. I think the lines in the hand make them look more dirty, as they would be in the snail hunting.
Good job Elizabeth!

http://www.fawnridge-art.com
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2008, 04:25 PM
A Local Legend
Milan, Illlinois

Hails from United States

This is a great idea for a series, and your first one has a difficult perspective to get right, but you did it! I do agree with Del that the hands should look more childlike, and softer. A little dirt is ok, like Kathy said, but I think the hands should be smaller, as well as the arms being thinner. I hate to do hands, and I have trouble with hands, too, so don't pay much attention to what I have to say! LOL

Char

CRY Colored Pencil Art
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2008, 06:51 PM
Texas

Hails from United States

Thank you all for your kind compliments. I agree about the harshness of the lines. I saw it happening and instead of erasing some color and stopping at that point, I kept going because I thought about the dirty look that Kathy mentioned. I am going to go softer on the rest of the series and try to bring out the object more. Wow, I'm so proud of myself for seeing the same things you guys did! I'm starting to think like a real artist!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2008, 09:15 PM
A WC! Legend
Okeechobee, Florida

Hails from United States

Very intersting painting Elizabeth J!! The colors are great, bright and great contrast. Sorry to hear about your downfalls, my prayers are with you and your family in this time of grief. Memories are always within the heart!!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-22-2008, 01:22 AM
Lord of the Arts
Littleton, CO

Hails from United States

Elizabeth....what a wonderful way to move through your struggles. I have used my artwork several times to help me with grief.

Someone once reminded me "aren't we lucky that we have a visual language to describe our feelings?"

I see wonder, hope and life in your subject matter and colors. I think for now I would just let the images come as they are. Plenty of time for learning.

Cindy's Blog
Life beats down and crushes the soul, but art reminds you that you have one. Stella Adler