Home Forums Explore Media Acrylics The Information Kiosk PAINT-A-LONG: Still life on a black background.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 169 total)
  • Author

Hello, and welcome to another paint-a-long.
    In this paint-a-long, I’m challenging you to paint on a black background. It’s a great way to learn how to use a background color and get over the fear of covering the canvas in one fell swoop. Trust me once you paint on black, you won’t ever be worried about painting on a toned background again!
    Now you can mix your own blacks, but I may possibly be the laziest painter in the world so I’m using it right out of the tube. Some people say that’s terrible and you should mix your own blacks, some people like it just fine, It’s your painting use whatever black floats your boat, just cover the whole thing up as dark as you can, then let it dry.

We’re using this photo “White Tulips” by SweetBabyJ (and thank you SBJ for putting in the RIL!)
    The large size version is here.

I know some people are shy when it comes to posting their work but I’ve said it before I’ll say it again, I love seeing the work of new artists. So whether you’ve painting for a day or for fifty years, I hope you can join in!

Now for some reason a great big tractor just drove into my front yard so after I figure out what that’s all about, I’ll be back with some work in progress.

The Purple Dog Painting Blog
    Find me on Instagram
    Find me on Facebook

Virginia,

Thanks so much for agreeing to take on another Paint-A-Long.

This looks like an interesting composition.

I am going out right now on my lunch hour to pick up a canvas board for this project so that I have no excuses when I get home tonight. :lol:

"None are so old as those who have outlived enthusiasm." - Henry David Thoreau

Moderator Acrylics Forum~~~Reference Image Library

Thanks Virginia – for posing the challenge of white over black :eek : and for hosting and guiding us. It’s getting late here so I’ll start tomorrow. Looking forward to it ;)

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

DominicM

ooh.. maybe

DominicM Art
        All Comments and Criticism welcomed, love it or hate it, I wish to know so I can improve
        ---=---=---=---=---=---=---=---=---=---=---=
        Never deprive someone of hope - it may be all they have. - Unknown.

susme48

I so needed a break from the portrait I’m doing…yay!! Not sure how well I will do, but I so need this!

[FONT="Impact"]♥ [FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]§usan [FONT="Impact"]♫

"Painting is silent poetry, and poetry is painting with the gift of speech." ~Simonides
            "Who said one paints with colors? One employs colors, but one paints with feeling."

~Jean-Baptiste-Siméon Chardin
            [/CENTER]
            Susan's Soul________ Blog_______ Yessy

Violetta

Count me in! Now to paint my black background.

[FONT=Arial]Judy
                "I paint flowers so they will not die." Frieda Kahlo
                "Another word for creativity is courage." Matisse
                “If you’re not prepared to be wrong you’ll never come up with something original.” Sir Ken Robinson’s TED talk.

AprilJoy

Yayyyy:music: – my bg has been waiting & I love this composition! :clap:

…after I said I wasn’t starting anything new until I finish that glass (& my dancer’s hand), but when I said that, :angel: my bg was already done, so………:evil:

[FONT="Impact"]FuzzyNacho
                    [FONT="Arial"]"No great artist ever sees things as they really are. If he did, he would cease to be an artist."
                    Oscar Wilde

susme48

Since this is a learning thread….here’s a question for you…I bought a ton of black (by mistake…:lol:) and have jars of thick, and I mean really thick paint that does not like to spread. I have tried water, and blending gel…and it still kind of just globs on. The bigger brush I use the worse it is…and to cover a 18×24 canvas with a small brush is a pain. Any suggestions? I thought about putting some in a dish of some kind and then watering it down? I am kind of used to mixing on the canvas, which does not work so well with this.

"Painting is silent poetry, and poetry is painting with the gift of speech." ~Simonides
                        "Who said one paints with colors? One employs colors, but one paints with feeling."

[/CENTER]

AprilJoy

spatula
                            putty knife
                            shower squeegie
                            sponge
                            fingers
                            credit card
                            piece of cardboard
                            dustpan (use the edge)
                            crumpled damp paper towel
                            rag
                            ruler

how’s that?

[FONT="Arial"]"No great artist ever sees things as they really are. If he did, he would cease to be an artist."
                            Oscar Wilde

susme48

April…some I have used (tho’ not for covering a whole canvas with just one color)…some are interesting…was kind of looking for a suggestion to thin the paint…:lol:

[/CENTER]

AprilJoy

Geez, Susan, I’m sorry. :lol: Once I got going it reminded me of an assignment my senior year English teacher challenged the class with: come up with 10 ways to use (a) paperclip/s.
                                    Between myself & my mother, we came up with 108. :lol:
                                    The teacher asked to keep the paper.

Oscar Wilde

Hello all, nice to see everyone.

108 ways to use paperclips! Now that is clever. I’d ahve kept the paper too. :D

Mixing it in a bowl or a jar is the best way to thin it out. You could use a gel medium or glazing medium. The only one I’ve used it Liquetex glazing medium though! Water tends to dull down the final color so I try not to mix with it too much.

I was very sidetracked today so I only have my background painted so far!

The Purple Dog Painting Blog
                                    Find me on Instagram
                                    Find me on Facebook

Geez, Susan, I’m sorry. :lol: Once I got going it reminded me of an assignment my senior year English teacher challenged the class with: come up with 10 ways to use (a) paperclip/s.
                                    Between myself & my mother, we came up with 108. :lol:
                                    The teacher asked to keep the paper.

My favourite use for a paperclip was the story of the guy who traded it up and after 14 trades got a house in Saskatchewan:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_red_paperclip

Picked up my canvas boards; plus a couple of stretched canvases on a 2 for 1 sale :); but then forgot the whole lot at work. :( Mind like a sieve. Will have to see if I have anything in the basement to work with.

"None are so old as those who have outlived enthusiasm." - Henry David Thoreau

Moderator Acrylics Forum~~~Reference Image Library

susme48

April…that’s ok….:) I did ask…:angel: Just curious…how many of the 108 do you remember? (just the number not the list…:lol: :evil: ) and btw thanks for your quick reply!

Thanks Virginia…I wonder if either flow release would work? May have to call Winsor Newton and/or Golden tomorrow…see what they say. This is the second kind I bought jars of, and all of it seems a lot thicker than the tube paint, and they are different brands. I did just check the golden one I bought and it is not as thick…wonder if they are just dried out? ( which would really suck considering how MUCH I have of it…sigh). Getting ready here to put another coat of black on, ’cause too much of the canvas still shows, and I wanted to let it dry before adding more paint.

[/CENTER]

Violetta

I have a lecture on framing tomorrow morning and then lunch with some artist friends, so I’m hoping to get my background done tomorrow afternoon and maybe get it drawn out. :crossfingers:

[FONT=Arial]Judy
                                            "I paint flowers so they will not die." Frieda Kahlo
                                            "Another word for creativity is courage." Matisse
                                            “If you’re not prepared to be wrong you’ll never come up with something original.” Sir Ken Robinson’s TED talk.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 169 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.