Home Forums Explore Media Pastels Soft Pastel Talk Which 3 brands of pastel paper do you prefer?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 129 total)
  • Author
    *Deirdre*

A chance to update or add your preferences.
        Mine were Wallis, Sennelier La Carte & AS Colourfix.

[FONT="Tahoma"]Regards, Deirdre (Always pleased to get C&Cs!) Don't forget - comment on other threads in the forum as well as posting your own work - also, we encourage you to post WIPs, they help others to learn as well as you.
        [/COLOR] [

johndill01

Just placed my vote. Hands down, Pastelmat. Works well with any wet technique for underpainting and stay flat. Pulls the pastel from the stick with little drag, holds the dust better, (less dust hitting the floor or easel), can be brushed back easily for reworks. Much less need for early blending of the first or second layers to hide the background. (no holes). All around, a pleasure to use.

John

robertsloan2

Thank you for allowing three! I would not want to give up using Colourfix (including my homemade Colourfix which comes out the same,) or Wallis, or PastelMat. I love all three of those in completely different ways.

Come to think of it, that’s a perfect gradation between Monster Toothy Wallis, Nicely Gritty Colourfix and Smooth but Grippy PastelMat. Egad, I’m starting to get used to a range of grittiness too and like it for different effects and pastels!

Colors available in Colourfix and PastelMat are just as much fun as the Canson Mi-Tientes. I’m getting used to toning Wallis with dry toning the way Deborah Secor does, that worked really well when I tried it. Also now that I’ve finally got a piece of Belgian Mist, I’m happy there’s a nice dark version of Wallis around and intend to get more of that. I like its weird color better than the pale tone I thought it was.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
                Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
                blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting

YAY~We have a new thread! Thanks Deirdre!!

I voted Ampersand Pastelbord, Uart, and Wallis. LOVE them!!

Paula Ann Ford

My Blog
                Manager of OnlineJuriedShows.com, IAPS Show Chair, Assoc. Member PSA, Member Pastel Society of Colorado, Member Adirondack Pastel Society
                [/SIZE]

Ruthie57

I voted pastelmat, fisher 400 and colourfix (which marginally comes ahead of la carte for me. Haven’;t been able to try wallis and some of the others as they’re not available here and shipping costs preclude them really.
                    If I only had one vote it would be for pastelmat, the queen of pastel supports!

Colorix

I voted:

1. Fisher 400 (Because I’m in Europe, it is the only and best sanded paper here)
                        2. Clairefontaine PastelMat Card (as it holds more pastel than AS Colourfix)
                        3. Sennelier LaCarte, as that is what I’d use if the two others were not available.

And, for simple ‘ordinary’ pastel paper, a high quality Ingres (many different manufacturers produce varying quality), as it is smooth-ish but still grabs hold quite nicely. But that would have been a fourth vote.

Charlie

Charlie

Charlie's Site/Blog

Devonlass

I voted for:

1. Ampersand Pastelbord
                            2. Uart
                            3. Pastelmat

Had I been allowed a 4th choice, it would be Wallis. Looks like Pastelmat is leading the pack so far.

Carol
                            C&C always welcome
                            My Blog

saramathewson

1. Pastelmat
                                2. La Carte
                                3. Wallis

If I had a fourth choice it would have been colorfix. I haven’t tried Uart yet but suspect I would like it as much as Wallis. It was a tie for me between Wallis and Art Spectrum, but in the end I chose Wallis. As I grow as an artist, I seem to change what I like. Wallis would have topped the list last year, but since using pastelmat and La Carte they are at the top for me for different reasons. I love the feel of La Carte, and love to just glide over the surface. I love the stickability of pastelmat even though the feel isn’t toothy at all. When I first started colorfix kind of frustrated me, but now i love it and love the primers. I think I tried wallis first of the sanded papers and so was spoiled right away:)

Sara

Tracy Lang

Pastelmat
                                    La Carte
                                    Uart
                                    Fourth would have been a toss up between ampersand, somerset and suede!
                                    Nice to have a new poll :)
                                    Tracy

Some of these I haven’t tried yet. But my favorites of what I have are velour, sueded mat, and Colorfix.

Katherine Taylor-Green Pastel Artist
                                    http://www.certaintylabradors.com/free_rein_studio.html

allydoodle

1. Wallis
                                        2. Colourfix
                                        3. Canson Mei Tint (I use this for a portrait workshop I attend at my art club each week – it is not expensive, and for the hour long painting session, if I get a good portrait, it is at least done on decent paper)

After seeing these results, I am sorely tempted to try Pastelmat and Uart. I think the next time I order paper, those will be the two I will try. I like working with a surface that I can crop if needed, so I am hesitant to try Ampersand Pastelboard. I am afraid I will like the surface, but will be unable to crop, which could be a problem. Sometimes, there is a painting within a painting, if you know what I mean, and it is worth cropping.

Thanks for doing this Deidre, it gives me some new options!

Chris - WetCanvas Guide, Pastel Forum

WC Lee

the three I prefer are Wallis, UArt, and Art Spectrum. Though I have not tried pastelmat yet but I would speculate that it is similar to the three that I prefer.

W.C. Lee
                                            My Blog :: Facebook :: All C&C welcomed

Trying is the first step towards failure. - Homer Simpson, The Simpsons

Lisa Fiore

I actually only voted for 2–UART, which I love, and colorfix–which is a good back-up when I am out of UART. I have tried all the papers and boards included in the Dakota samplers, and just wasn’t as thrilled with any of the others (even Wallis :eek: but I guess that’s just me since most everyone else loves it!! :lol: ) I plan to order some pastelmat the next time I make an order. My only concern with it is that I may not be able to layer, layer, layer the way I do with the UART–but since so many of you love it, maybe that’s just a silly worry! I won’t know until I try, anyway.

Thanks for the poll, Deirdre–I love hearing others’ opinions about all things pastel!! :)

"Art washes from the soul the dust of everyday life." Picasso

http://lisafioreart.blogspot.com/

Colorix

Lisa, you won’t be able to layer endlessly on PastelMat, about the same as on Colourfix, but it grabs onto the dust better. It will be hard to believe when you first touch it.

Charlie

Charlie's Site/Blog

Don Ketchek

I haven’t tried a lot of these papers, but based on past experience, I voted:

Velour, LaCarte and Pastelmat

Now, I’ve only used the pastelmat on two paintings. Like it so far, but the jury is still out!

Don

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 129 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.