Home Forums Explore Subjects Landscapes Glacier Bay #8

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Dorrart

Eight in the series. Mountains and a glacier viewed from the bay. Golden Acrylic on cradled gessoed panel. 24×12 C&C welcome. Thanks for looking!

- David

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." --Picasso

landsmith

That’s a dramatic looking scene. I like all the values and colors.
            Rob

Aussiesrus

Wonderful edge variety with well defined areas of interest carrying the eye around. Distant clouds merge nicely into the snowy mountains, creating an interesting atmospheric effect & I love those hints of blue among the clouds. IMO this is one of your best in the series dorrart – Well Done !

Michael.

michaelcartwrightart.com.au
                https://bluethumb.com.au/michael-cartwright
                I'M NOT AS THINK AS YOU DRUNK I AM

Ohiohawk97

I agree with Michael, David! This is one of your best to date. I love the detail in the mountains particularly on the left and your colors and atmospheric perspective are astounding. It creates such lovely depth. I could stare at this one for a long time and be perfectly happy. Well done!

Wes

Humburger

Wow! Beautiful and majestic. Good work.

Ginny
                        www.virginiacmccoy.com
                        C & C Welcome

Reddyman

David
                            Beautifully done and you have captured that cold misty effect so common to mountainous scenes. Your value shifts assist in depth and you have been successful in creating those deep crevices in the range and of course those sheer drop-off points so common to scenes of this nature. Beautifully handled.
                            John

Reed Jones

Great canvas, David! Has a Sargent feel to it. Really nice sky, as well. You checked all the boxes on this one!

www.reedmichaeljones.com

Critiques and feedback are welcomed!

Gorgeous David! Those clouds on the distant mountains, just wonderful.

Heather AKA Lucy12
                                https://www.heatherrossbach.com
                                https://www.instagram.com/heatherrossbachart/
                                https://www.facebook.com/heatherrossbachart/?modal=admin_todo_tour

Dorrart

landsmith, Thanks so much. I did work with the values a bit to direct the balance. Thanks!

Aussiesrus1, Thanks for commenting, Michael, your thoughts on my work mean a lot to me.

Ohiohawk97, Thanks so much for commenting. Your observations are always so interesting to me. Thanks again.

Humburger, I love that you referred to this as “majestic”. Exactly the feeling I hoped to convey.

Reddyman, thanks so much for your kind words. I worked hard to bring out those aspects you mentioned, such as the crevices and shear drop offs to keep them believable.

Reed Jones, Thanks so much for your comments. Wow, Sargent. Interesting reference since he was so well known for his portraits, but yes I love his landscapes. Thanks so much!

Lucy12, I am so glad you like the clouds across the distant mountains. I was pleased with that look, it’s good to know others like it too.

Thank you all.

- David

Bizzibee

Another treat David! I think this is possibly the best so far. I love the sense of flow in the snow, created by those sweeping brushstrokes, the beautiful sky and the swirling mist on the distant mountains.

'One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star': Friedrich Nietzsche

Skyenorth

Love those soft snowy mountains, looks like there has just been a fresh snowfall. The green in the foreground hills really works so well against those cool mountains. Have you been to this area? is that what inspired your series?

[URL=http://www.simmillarts.co.uk
                                            http://simmill-arts.blogspot.com/
                                            Success is never found. Failure never fatal. Courage is the only thing.
                                            Winston Churchill.

Dcam
                                                Dorrart

Bizzibee, Thanks so much for your comments. I was worried about this one for a bit, it wasn’t up to the level of the others in my opinion, the balance was off and my eye was just stopping. I just tweaked a few of the values to move the eye around and balance the composition until I was happier with it. Several now have responded that this is among the best in my series. Amazing what a few small changes can do. I always appreciate reading your observations. Thanks for your comments.

Skyenorth, thanks for your comments. Yes I have visited this place. My wife and I took a cruise to Alaska. They told us we would be going through Glacier Bay and I thought, “okay.” Then we entered Glacier Bay and I was astounded. It was an uninhabited (no houses, boats, people or signs of human activity for miles), primal, majestic, wilderness of amazing scenery for miles and miles. I took hundreds of photos as we moved along. They got in as far as they could go at a spot where two glaciers were visible and they spun the boat slowly around from one to the other over about half an hour. They kept the sound to a minimum so you could hear the groaning of the ice and occasional cracks echoing through the mountains. We were fortunate enough to cruise Glacier Bay on one of about 12 days a year when the sun was shining in the area. All of the paintings were created from photos I took that day. In this series I am staying as true as I can to the colors of the area, with maybe a bit of warming or cooling for interest. It’s an amazing place. Thanks for your comments!

Dcam, Thanks so much! Means a lot coming from you. Very much appreciated.

- David

Skyenorth

You did sound fortunate to have visited the glaciers when the sun was shining, it must have been quite awesome to be there. Hope there will be more paintings to come and an exhibition too!

[URL=http://www.simmillarts.co.uk
                                                        http://simmill-arts.blogspot.com/
                                                        Success is never found. Failure never fatal. Courage is the only thing.
                                                        Winston Churchill.

patrikeev

That’s beautiful!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.