WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > The Learning Zone
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2012, 10:24 PM
A WC! Legend
Kansas

Hails from United States
Giclee prints

Does anyone in the USA have a good source for getting Giclee prints made of their paintings on line that isn't extremely expensive? Thanks!!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2012, 10:43 PM
Immortalized

Hails from United States
Re: Giclee prints

Am hoping to read some replies! But, fineartamerica.com, publishes (for free) artists work. The produce and sell prints of the work (the original can be sold by the artist him/herself or can be posted for sale on the site. You do have to have a good camera image...they do make a commission on the print and the matting/framing (if the buyer opts for those). LOTS of well known artists sell on the site...(you can always tell the professional, talented artists from the want-ta-be's...the want-ta-be's sell for exorbitantly high prices, I guess wanting to get lucky! The well known professionals sell at a price that is reasonable...my oh my! I will be watching this site with interest, because the professional printers on which you can produce your own prints are an arm and a leg to buy....

P.S. there is also a fineart.com - its the fineartamerica that you want to look at!

M.L.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2012, 12:38 AM
Immortalized
Boerne, TX USA

Hails from United States

Patty, the challenge for giclee prints is the set up to create a high quality file for reproduction. The actual reproductions are very inexpensive, and vary with size and type of paper, ie, $30-$40 for a full size 22" X 30" reproduction.

There are two ways to create the file for reproduction: 1) using a scanner; 2) using a high resolution digital camera. Each has its strengths and weaknesses.

If you take your painting to a local fine arts giclee printer they will charge you a one-time fee to create that high quality file, depending on whether they use a scanner or photography. It may be about $100 or so. You get the file for future use.

Alternatively, you can photograph your painting (or have a professional do it) with a very high resolution camera and use that .jpg file as your high quality file for reproduction, whether local or online.

Before you jump to online providers check your local fine arts reproduction folks.

Choice is yours!
Sling paint!
Virgil
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2012, 02:43 PM
Wenonah, NJ (outside Philadelphia).

Hails from United States

Hello Virgil, and anyone else who has experience with this. I started painting again after a long absence. I'm learning about the business of gallery shows, as well as Giclee prints. I recently had some giclees made from this person who has a 15 print minimum. http://www.crimsonatelier.com/#Home-RegularPricing What I really can't quite figure is what to do if I go to a show, or my work is in a gallery and someone says they want a print of one print, someone else wants another print, and so on. The printer told me it would be cost prohibitive for me to have say a half dozen pieces printed in numbers of only one or two, what with all the color correcting, etc. I understand the basic idea is to hold onto your originals, if you want you put a higher price on them, but try to sell the prints. However, I'm not sure what to do about getting them done. At the moment I don't have allot of disposable $ as I'm just getting into this again. What are the options? I had 15 prints done of the attached image which came to about $300. I was very happy with the quality, they were printed on Arches 140 lb Cold Press watercolor paper.

Jeff
Attached Images

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2012, 09:08 PM
Ovilla, TX

Hails from United States

http://www.americanarteditions.com/
I have not used them yet. They are lower cost than fineartamerica
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2012, 09:12 PM
Ovilla, TX

Hails from United States

I have 2 variants of the same image. Which do you like better?
http://www.bobweekend.com/QR_images/icu.jpg
or
http://www.bobweekend.com/QR_images/...rospective.jpg
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-30-2012, 03:11 AM

Talking Re: Giclee prints

I had searching ,thanks sharing
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-30-2012, 04:09 PM

Hails from United States

Just emailed and got reply from American Art Editions http://www.americanarteditions.com/ after searching for local services near me here in Gloucester County NJ. --
"Hello Jeff, Thank you for your inquiry. We do not require a deposit, start up fee or have a minimum order amount. We advise not to send originals through the mail due to the possibility of loss or damage to the piece. If you are willing to take that risk we would be more than happy to be your scanner and printer. If you would like to see some samples of our work I can send you a sample pack. Please provide your address."

Now for myself, I worked out the following, one 11" x 14" on textured paper would be $16 plus $8.95 shipping. To scan my art would cost about $56. I have an Epson Perfection 2480 Photo Scanner, but I would have to scan my art in two pieces and join in Photoshop. I have done this, but I don't know if the quality of my Scanner is good enough? Any ideas anyone?

Jeff
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2012, 10:10 AM

Hails from United States

Reporting back on the test print I had made from American Art Editions. http://www.americanarteditions.com/ My Epson 2480 Photo Scanner worked out fine, I scanned and uploaded the 11" x 14" art in two pieces and there was no evidence of the "join." What I got back was an image that looked as sharp as the original. Of course I had to take a chance with the color from my monitor, etc., but now I know to warm it up a bit. I'm sure someone wanting to buy it would like it, the color is not very far off, of course you get what you pay for not sending the original and getting proofs. Cost total was $16 plus 8.95 shipping for a 15" x 18."

Jeff