WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Partner: WetCanvas Live! > Partner: WetCanvas Live! with Johannes Vloothuis
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#3916   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2015, 10:11 AM
Carmarthen, West Wales

Hails from Wales
Re: Johannes - Student Critique Posts Only

Here's my latest. Dylan Thomas's boathouse at Laugharne ( pronounced Larne ) in West Wales UK. Oil on canvas 24 x 16"
Ray
  #3917   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2015, 06:46 AM

Hi Jo

Thanks so much for your forest sunset demo in Paint Along 16. It was very helpful! Here is my final version of my "Warm Colors of Winter" painting, the one that happens to be very similar to your "Deep Forest Sunset" in the Paint Along. I borrow your evergreen.,

What do you think?

Do you think the distant tree trunks in the background is ok or should that be cooler? Also what do you think of the overall value? Does it need to be darker for the darks and lighter for the light values? If so, not sure how I would achieve that at this stage with pastel...

Thanks
Shuk (Susan)
Attached Images

#3918   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2015, 12:29 PM
Black Hills, SD

Hails from United States

My PA 16 acrylic. I have not done a painting like this for years. It was fun.

Thanks,
Sarah STETLER Miller
  #3919   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-16-2015, 10:14 PM
A Local Legend

I would love a critique on either of these.

#3920   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2015, 02:05 PM

Hi, Jo: Posted this on Facebook but got the suggestion to put it here too. This is a 9 x 12 watercolor based on the Paint-Along #17 photo. Your photo made me think of the misty mountains I had just seen in a Scottish Highlands travelog and one thing led to another. I did the man, dog and sheep ahead of the session and then masked them until the rest was done. I seem to get lost in the layers of color in the distance and get too many of them and don't get the right color. Your advice is needed. Thank you. Your teaching has given me the courage to tackle anything now. I never ever dreamed I would painting anything but florals until I took your lessons.

#3921   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2015, 03:34 PM
San Diego CA

Hails from United States

Jo I would appreciate your critique of my Pan Pastel. I have a concern that it looks rather chalky. Also wondering if the center rocks are too dark? I love working in these Pastels and you are right they are very forgiving. Thank you Jo.
  #3922   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-01-2015, 03:54 PM

This is a 9x12 watercolor. I first painted the sky, water, windows and puddles with a mixture of transparent yellow and Quin rose (I find the permanent rose in your recommended palette too permanent) but had to tone this down quite a bit. I hope you can make out my little people in the "Party Cottage". There is a cat lounging on the front doorstep
as the woman holding the door open is saying "Well, in or out?" There are
people partying inside in the middle and someone looking out the window for you next, a couple dance on the porch while someone sits at a table and her partner waves to the people in the boat, one of whom is showing how big the fish was that got away. A dachshund waits on the dock. Above a couple are getting amourous and in the next window coming right a kid is upside down in the air from bouncing on his bed, while further to the right a boy prepares to whack a baseball. A lonely dog looks down from the top window. "Nuff to look at? What fun I had with this. Of course, the cottage is based on the Seven Dwarfs house. I like to tell a story with my paintings but his one could be a whole book! Please critique Jo. Thank you. Nancy Pink
  #3923   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2015, 08:30 PM
A Local Legend

well, I added an eagle (photo reference by Mollerman in reference library) to this one:

#3924   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2015, 12:05 AM

Have the critiques been terminated? Johannes have you been busy promoting your book or did you win the lottery and leave us behind? I miss your wisdom.
  #3925   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2015, 02:02 PM
Canon City, Colorado

Hails from United States

I wasn't able to attend much of Paintalong 18 but did try this painting from the videos. I'm thinking it's all too bright and monotoned maybe? Johannes, sure could use your help with this one.

Also what is your secret for getting that lovely sage green you get. I've tried so many combinations but just can't seem to get it.

#3926   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2015, 10:51 PM
Immortalized
Hamilton, Ontario

Hails from Canada

Lamp black, yellow ochre pale and Viridian for sage brushes