WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-17-2019, 07:43 PM
Veteran Member
Seattle, WA

Hails from United States
Have you tried the new Spectrafix Natural Glass Final Fix spray?

Hello!

I'm wondering if anyone here has tried the SpectraFix Natural Glass FinalFix spray. If so, what did you think? Does it darken your final piece? Do you like it?

https://www.spectrafix.com/product/n...al_information

Thanks for your input.

Kim

The voyage of discovery is not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes - Marcel Proust

http://www.kimeshelman.com
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-17-2019, 08:24 PM
san diego, ca

Hails from United States
Re: Have you tried the new Spectrafix Natural Glass Final Fix spray?

You could experiment with this, Kim. Use a scrap piece of paper, layer some pastel colors and spray. But then, at that price, let's hear if anyone has tried this with pastels.

web site , Getting started in soft pastels., What you need to know, Critique Guide Lines
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-18-2019, 09:14 AM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States

This is news to me, Kim! I can't wait to hear how it works and what a pastel looks like after it has been sprayed. I wonder if the company would consider giving out small sample sizes. If it really works it might justify the cost.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-18-2019, 01:03 PM
Veteran Member
Seattle, WA

Hails from United States

I've ordered the 10oz aerosol bottle and I'll let you all know how it works!

Kim

The voyage of discovery is not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes - Marcel Proust

http://www.kimeshelman.com
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-2019, 05:43 PM
Grass Valley, CA

Hails from United States

Hi Folks,

I thought I'd chime in here and let you know that I've put up a video showing Natural Glass FinalFix at work. It contains casein and beeswax, among other ingredients, and yes, there is a bit of a color shift because of this, slightly more than the Degas fixative. However, it has no sheen and enables you to frame without glass!

As usual, there are no fumes or toxic ingredients, so you can spray freely indoors. It is bottled in our new refillable aerosol sprayer, which give a wonderful fine mist, effortlessly, and without propellant chemicals.

Here's the link, let me know if you have questions

https://www.spectrafix.com/product/natural-glass-spray

Della

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2019, 10:43 AM
Macon, GA

Hails from United States

As a newbie to pastels (since May), I heard early on of Spectrafix fixative and liked the fact that it was made from natural products and could be sprayed indoors with no problem, so I have been using it since the beginning. I did purchase a "florasol" mist sprayer that sends the product out in a very fine mist onto the pastel. If I spray several light layers, letting each dry in between, the surface is hard and there is no smudging of the pastel. A few weeks ago, I ordered the Spectrafix Natural Glass in the same type of misting bottle. I did two light coats on a recent pastel and it is hard to the touch, as well, and it seems to change the colors very little...not enough for me to NOT use it. I have yet to frame any of my pastel works, but I do believe this Natural Glass product would allow one to frame without using glass. As to how durable and long-lasting that would be, however, I have no idea. I came across a huge, long and PASSIONATE debate on another forum regarding whether to fix pastels at the end or not, and so many pastel artists absolutely refused to even consider using something like this product, saying that it would no longer be pure pastel. Many don't even use a fixative product at the end of a painting. Some indicated that such pieces would not be allowed in pastel competitions. (As I am a newbie, I did not venture into the fray .) I have also come across several well-known pastel artists who use the "French envelope method" and tape the final paste flat against glass before placing in a frame. Personally, I don't particularly like to frame under glass and with mats, and I paint primarily for my own pleasure, so if this product will allow me to frame without glass, I'm a happy camper. For now, that seems to be the case. Right now, the only place that I can find the Natural Glass product is directly from Spectrafix, while the fixative product is available from several suppliers and thus, less expensive because of shipping. Hopefully, some of the art suppliers (and Amazon) will soon add Natural Glass to their inventory, if allowed by Spectrafix. Happy painting to all!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2019, 10:46 AM
Macon, GA

Hails from United States

On youtube, Esther Jones did a recent review of Natural Glass after purchasing some at this years IAPS conference. Check it out to see her demo the product.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xPqeHzVCIY
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2019, 10:48 AM
Macon, GA

Hails from United States

Have you tried the product yet, Kim34? I see that you had ordered it about a month ago. If so, what did you think of it?