Home Forums The Art Business Center General Art Business Information you put on back of painting or print

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    tommie

I was at an art fair and noticed that some people were putting different things on the back of their art. Their biography with a picture of themselves. Or a sticker with their information. Or an authenticity sticker. What do you do and why do you do it? Is it necessary? Thank you so much for your help!!

Diane Cutter

As a printmaker (woodcuts and etchings) I always include a COA (Certificate of Authenticity). This includes edition size, method of printmaking, type of ink and paper, etc… any pertinent information about the print. In some states it is a requirement but I assume most printmakers include it as a courtesy, especially since most of us are on one-man campaigns of educating the art buying public about the difference between an original art print and a reproduction of some other form of art (oil, pastel, watercolor, etc.).

Buyers enjoy knowing something about the artist so that is why artists would include a bio/photo.

I always include the COA, a business card, and a ‘how to take care of your original artwork’, no matter what the art form. It’s also gotten me repeat customers.

Diane

tommie

Thanks so much for your generous reply! I am researching Certificates of Authenticity as we speak. I think I will use large stickers and have them printed with the pertinent information. The information about how to take care of your art seems as if I can just print it up and hand it out along with the business cards so maybe I will just do that. Diane, I really appreciate your time and energy to help out a fellow artist. BTW your prints are lovely!!

DaveCrow

I write my name, the title, and medium, as well as that it is an original on the back. I will add a date or note that it was painted en plein air, etc sometimes. I also place a sticker/label with this information on the back of the frame. I try to include a business card and artist bio. I like people to know something about the art and the artist and be able to tell friends.

"Let the paint be paint" --John Marin

I write the title, copyright, my name, and signature in pencil on the back. I’m using canvases and try not to put anything on the back that uses an adhesive, though there are occasional exceptions for juried shows. On the whole I don’t put any contact information because I’ve worked with galleries in the past and they don’t want that on the painting.

Abstract coast and geology art: www.tina-m.com | Art/Science gallery: www.grejczikgallery.com

tommie

Thanks DaveCrow and timelady. Good information. Question: time lady, why do you add your information in pencil and not something more permanent, that cannot be erased? Do you give a certificate of authenticity as a sheet of paper during the sale?

Hi tommie,

I used to include more information on the back of my paintings than I have been in recent years. I have become lazy, or maybe it is for the fact that it is very easy to get information about me on the internet if the buyer needs to know more.

Most people have email now and I will send them all the information after the sale, plus a lot of the information will be on the bill of sale, i.e.: year, medium size, etc.

I will also provide them with my biz card and any extra info I have about that particular piece, depending. Sometimes I even have notes I have created about a specific original. If I have it in a hard copy, I will provide it all for them, and of course if they would rather have a hard copy, I will print it all up for them and make them a nice packet with a COA.

However, I do not put all of that together (the hard copies) as a rule anymore. It depends on what the buyer wants and what I have available (notes, etc.). I just make sure that I accommodate each person according to their needs.

On the back, with a Sharpie, on every painting I write:

#painting, “Title,” (c) Year, Name. All Rights Reserved. Signature.

On the back of prints, with pencil, I write all the same info, but also the medium and location I printed it. The front is also signed with the edition number. I use a pencil on any original work on paper as well. (Pencil won’t bleed through to the front of the paper. It can’t be erased because I “fix” it with spray.

I used to write the location of my paintings on the back and stamped them with a rubber stamp with a kind of logo I had, but I don’t do that anymore. The location is noted somewhere else and I will inform the buyer if they care. It’s just not on the painting anymore. I also don’t use the stamp because I decided it was stupid to have a logo. That’s just my own preference.

Sorry my answer was so detailed, but it was kind of fun to type it out for my own self. :lol:

tommie

awsome artyczar!!!! Great information!

tommie

great idea about fixing the pencil also

Davkin

I make a label on my computer with just the title, medium, size and my full name. I print the labels out on heavy acid free paper and then sign my full name as well. I then use acid free spray adhesive to attached the label to the back of the painting, (I only paint on panels.) and then seal the label with varnish. I have not received any feedback from my customers whether they like my labels or not or don’t care.

David

David

coolyrboots

I keep it simple and put my name and the title in clear writing. Possibly year. Also like to attached a business card if I can remember to :)

GarnerArt

I fix a business card with my name, contact details, website and social media contacts to the reverse of a framed painting. Sometimes I add a label with the title, medium and price of the work. Both are removable, as some shows insist on no personal labels, or insist artists use the labels they provide. When shipping work, I add a bio leaflet, or hand one over if the buyer is collecting the work directly from me.

marksmomagain

My name and the c/date go on front, fairly small, but distinct enough. On back go any pertinent details and/or thoughts: if it’s a commission, a little personalized note; and if a ‘general’ piece, a little statement or fact about the subject or the scene. Plus a summary of the mediums and support used, time worked, a little history of how the drawing came to be and wether I drew it inside or outside, that kind of thing. People like the personalization.

Anonymous

Yes all of the above, you’re definitely missing a marketing trick not to take this simple step as it will lead to repeat orders for you.

tommie

Davkin- great idea to spray glue and varnish the information! Heavy weight paper seems so classic.
                                                        coolyrboots Maybe spray glue the business care? Great thoughts, thanks
                                                        Garnerart, Loads of thoughts, thanks! How do you make your information removable?
                                                        marksmom- Wow, great ideas for communication to your buyer!
                                                        peddlers pen – It is a lot to think about and weigh….. Thanks for your thoughts!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.